HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » This message was self-del...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 01:35 PM

This message was self-deleted by its author

This message was self-deleted by its author (Zorra) on Tue Feb 5, 2013, 12:08 PM. When the original post in a discussion thread is self-deleted, the entire discussion thread is automatically locked so new replies cannot be posted.

5 replies, 323 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply This message was self-deleted by its author (Original post)
Zorra Feb 2013 OP
el_bryanto Feb 2013 #1
ScreamingMeemie Feb 2013 #2
Matariki Feb 2013 #3
el_bryanto Feb 2013 #5
HappyMe Feb 2013 #4

Response to Zorra (Original post)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 01:39 PM

1. I want to apologize - I didn't realize how strongly some would react to it

I didn't intend to make you so upset. It was just - I was trying to find something controversial without being too controversial; and I missed the mark.

For the record, while I don't possess the depth of feeling for Reagan that you do - his policies were genuinely terrible across a whole range of issues - from his reaction to Aids to foreign policy to union smashing and so on. He was a good orator and said some things that I find worthwhile, but his actions were genuinely terrible.

But I apologize.

Bryant

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to el_bryanto (Reply #1)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 01:41 PM

2. My father's 30-year career was destroyed under Reagan.

He was an "okay" actor. That's the only charitable thing I can say. He looked at the office, in my opinion, as just another role. I cringe whenever I hear the "Tear down that wall" speech.

Response to el_bryanto (Reply #1)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 01:43 PM

3. "I was trying to find something controversial"

WHY??? Do you need attention?

Response to Matariki (Reply #3)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 01:48 PM

5. The post has been shut down

This morning someone posted about his or her desire to see the Catholic Church defined as a hate group. Some people agreed with him, and some disagreed with him; he castigated those who disagreed with him, and then self deleted so as to prevent further discussion.

I found that approach cowardly - and so started a post to draw attention to it. I should have posted it in Meta, but as Meta was created while I wasn't posting very much, it slipped my mind. Basically I was going to post something controversial, and then threaten to self-delete once people disagreed with me. For the post to work I wanted something offensive enough to get some responses, but not offensive enough that it would really enflame passions. I missed the mark.

Bryant

Response to Zorra (Original post)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 01:45 PM

4. Well, thanks.

I was quite moved by your post there.