HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Offensive Post!!!! Reaga...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 09:05 AM

Offensive Post!!!! Reagan wasn't that bad.

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by HappyMe (a host of the General Discussion forum).

Here's the game. I have said something offensive. Some of you will disagree with me. I will chastise you briefly then self delete my post so that nobody can respond or discuss my offensive statement. Because that's what you do at a discussion board - when you encounter disagreement with your assertion you run off and hide, taking your ball with you.

Yeppers - Reagan just wasn't that bad. Discuss.

Bryant

39 replies, 1717 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 39 replies Author Time Post
Reply Offensive Post!!!! Reagan wasn't that bad. (Original post)
el_bryanto Feb 2013 OP
quinnox Feb 2013 #1
el_bryanto Feb 2013 #5
quinnox Feb 2013 #9
musical_soul Feb 2013 #11
cali Feb 2013 #2
LisaLynne Feb 2013 #3
spanone Feb 2013 #4
el_bryanto Feb 2013 #7
RainDog Feb 2013 #6
el_bryanto Feb 2013 #10
cali Feb 2013 #12
quinnox Feb 2013 #13
WI_DEM Feb 2013 #8
lunatica Feb 2013 #14
quinnox Feb 2013 #15
bobclark86 Feb 2013 #34
lunatica Feb 2013 #37
OldDem2012 Feb 2013 #16
obliviously Feb 2013 #17
Cynicus Emeritus Feb 2013 #18
pampango Feb 2013 #19
el_bryanto Feb 2013 #20
pampango Feb 2013 #21
ananda Feb 2013 #22
Bluenorthwest Feb 2013 #23
el_bryanto Feb 2013 #24
Bluenorthwest Feb 2013 #25
el_bryanto Feb 2013 #26
Bluenorthwest Feb 2013 #30
el_bryanto Feb 2013 #31
wandy Feb 2013 #35
thelordofhell Feb 2013 #27
el_bryanto Feb 2013 #29
Spider Jerusalem Feb 2013 #28
Go Vols Feb 2013 #32
madrchsod Feb 2013 #33
BuelahWitch Feb 2013 #36
Zorra Feb 2013 #38
HappyMe Feb 2013 #39

Response to el_bryanto (Original post)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 09:09 AM

1. well, to a teen boy growing up under Reagan as president

and not aware of the politics as most young kids aren't, he was like a kindly grandfather figure, and you could even say we had warm feelings towards the man.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to quinnox (Reply #1)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 09:13 AM

5. I kind of feel the same because of my age

Hate his policies of course - but . . . as a person I can't help having some warm feelings towards him.

Response to el_bryanto (Reply #5)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 09:16 AM

9. Even Obama has said some glowing things about Reagan

and I think it is because he was influenced in the same way, he was a young person when Reagan was president for 8 years. Reagan did project a very good and
pro-American image.

Response to quinnox (Reply #9)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 09:19 AM

11. But his ideas for fighting the cold war were worse than the illness itself.....

My turn.

Oh wait. I do that on a regular basis. I'll be good here.

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 09:10 AM

2. man, that hacked me off too. I'd just written a post and the op

had deleted his op finishing with a noxious self-righteous shit post about how everyone disagreeing with his asshole suggestion that the Catholic Church should be classified as a hate group by the SPLC, is a bigot.

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 09:11 AM

3. Aw, man...

Are you saying I've been doing it wrong this whole time???

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 09:12 AM

4. yes, he was that bad. iran/contra

Response to spanone (Reply #4)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 09:14 AM

7. I would rank dismantling the safety-net and busting unions higher but . . .

Wait a moment, what am I saying - Reagan wasn't that bad. That's my assertion.

Bryant

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 09:14 AM

6. If you are responding to what I posted

Others were insulting me. I didn't alert on them, I just decided I wasn't interested in hearing that sort of bullshit.

But here's what provoked my post in the first place

ource: BBC News

A report published later is expected to detail Irish government knowledge of what went on in Magdalene laundries.

The laundries were Catholic-run workhouses that operated in Ireland from the 1920s to the mid-1990s.

Girls considered "troubled" or what were then called "fallen women" were sent there by families or the courts.

In 2011, the UN Committee Against Torture called on the Irish government to set up an inquiry into the treatment of thousands of women and girls.

Read more: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21326221

which is found on this thread - http://www.democraticunderground.com/1014390691

and this - http://www.democraticunderground.com/10022314936

If you think it's more important to come after me than to look at what provoked my post in the first place - you're not someone I care to know here on DU. take care.

Response to RainDog (Reply #6)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 09:16 AM

10. Yep - see if you don't agree with Raindog, he or she is not interested in your opinion

Because that's what a discussion board is all about - agreement. Why encounter or discuss with people who disagree with you or who have a different perspective.

Maybe you should craft a program to fill your special discussion board with "You are so right Raindog" "Those bastards need to pay." and the like.

Bryant

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 09:21 AM

12. Zealotry scares me. Extremism scares me.

And what's more YOUR posts in that thread of yours were filled with contradictions. It was bigoted. Ideologues are not a good thing.

And many of us know quite a bit about the heinous Magdalene Laundries. Just because we don't support the silly, bigoted proposal of the SPLC labeling all Catholics as members of a hate group, doesn't mean we support human rights abuses- or for that matter the Catholic Church.

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 09:23 AM

13. I thought self-deleting, while within your right,

was a bit of a wimpy thing to do. Just because the thread was not going the way you thought it would.

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 09:15 AM

8. He liked to drink beer with Tip O'Neill

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 09:24 AM

14. I disliked him from day one

he lied and he wrapped himself in the flag and he destroyed unions and said ketchup was a vegetable and he closed down the mental institutions in this state (California) and turned all the patients out into the streets where they still live today.

But other than that he wasn't that bad. :sarcasm"

Response to lunatica (Reply #14)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 09:25 AM

15. heh

Response to lunatica (Reply #14)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 12:37 PM

34. Except for the mental institute part, I agree with you...

The mental institution system was a clusterfuck and needed to be shut down. Ask Bobby Kennedy (and Geraldo before he became a complete fuckface) about Willowbrook, and check out "Unforgotten" on Hulu.

Too bad nobody thought about what to do AFTER they were closed.

Response to bobclark86 (Reply #34)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 01:04 PM

37. Maybe he should have tried doing something other than shutting them down first

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 09:26 AM

16. Sorry, but Reagan was bad, but perhaps not in the way most people think....

....Reagan was a figurehead who was very good at reading lines. Reagan was bad because of his ignorance of what was going on around him and his reliance on people who were actually VERY bad.

Look for the guy behind the curtain to find who was really pulling the strings during the 8 years Reagan was in office and for the next 4 years under his own banner. Now, HE was a very BAD man.

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 09:26 AM

17. I never!

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 10:09 AM

18. Presidents on both sides of the aisle sold out America - IMHO

Let's be honest it wasn't just Reagan, and not just the Presidents. We've had 40+ years of elected officials on both sides of the political aisle (albeit many more on the R side) that have aided and abetted the collapse of the US middle and working class. Those who did need identified and names engraved on a hall of shame.

They collaborated with their Wall St bankers and big business pals to hand over our US consumer market and manufacturing jobs to Mexico, Japan, India, Korea, China and asked for nothing in return except profits and cap gains from former USA companies at low tax rates for the elite. They took an oath to defend America and its economy and instead they gave it away in exchange for handouts from the rich.

They say we are in fiscal trouble in America but they don't ever say why. It's not because of "entitlements", it's because of corrupt incompetent leadership that gave away good taxpaying jobs, wars for nothing, and because the 1% that encouraged selling out our jobs pay absurdly low taxes compared to better times.

I blame our problems solely on a cabal of wealth that uses their power and greed against the USA, and buys our politicians, involves us in unnecessary wars and bailouts.

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 10:29 AM

19. Is this OP really about Reagan or the strategy of 'self-deleting' to prevent discussion?

Since you made no real attempt to show that "Reagan wasn't that bad", I suspect the latter intent.

Response to pampango (Reply #19)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 10:30 AM

20. You might be right. nt

Response to el_bryanto (Reply #20)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 10:33 AM

21. I knew it! Wait!?!

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 10:35 AM

22. Why Unca Ronnie was just a saint ya know.

He did carry a grudge against unions and had an issue with "welfare queens."

I always like to promote that old SNL show on Reagan with the girl scout... I think there was some truth behind it.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/4174

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/politics/candidates/reagan.shtml

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 10:35 AM

23. Reagan was a vicious and ignorant man, worst President of my time.

He was a huge homophobe and his calloused indifference to world health crisis of AIDS because he thought it was a gay issue and thus not to be mentioned lost us years of research, many lives.
Also a Union busting, war mongering liar. By the time he was President, his blood thirsty ways were well known to anyone with the ability to read.
I know many adore Reagan for the same reasons I loathe him. It is sad to see that they remain so hateful.

Response to Bluenorthwest (Reply #23)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 10:38 AM

24. Wait a second - disagreement?

now that I think about it several posts have disagreed with my assertion that Reagan wasn't so bad. Well rather than engaging in discussion, it might be time to self-delete my post so as to prevent further discussion.

Bryant

Response to el_bryanto (Reply #24)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 10:56 AM

25. Ah. So you say one thing but mean another...

It is very easy from me to say clearly that 'self delete' is for cowards and I don't do it. Many on DU use it tirelessly, some hosts have used it so much that they now use 'host tools' to delete their own posts so others will not mock their excessive self deletions...
No need for me to type odd things about the bigot Ronald Reagan to say I find self deletion to be a tool of evasion. I have never use that feature of DU.
Your tactic is hard to follow. If you actually dig Reagan, I most heartily disagree with you. If you are attempting to make some analogy, please do not assume I have any idea what you are on about. But I have no idea what you are on about.

Response to Bluenorthwest (Reply #25)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 11:00 AM

26. I am referring to a post from earlier that you participated in

http://www.democraticunderground.com/?com=view_post&forum=1002&pid=2315282 - the OP shut it down because he didn't want disagreement.

I have mixed feelings about Reagan - his policies were terrible, but what he projected about America . . . well it's easy to understand how people found that appealing.

Bryant

Response to el_bryanto (Reply #26)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 11:14 AM

30. Ah.

When he was governor, he said about logging 'you've seen one redwood, you've seen them all'.

About student protests, he said "If it takes a bloodbath, let's get it over with. No more appeasement."

I do not understand how anyone would find that appealing. A bloodbath. That appeals to you? Not me.

Response to Bluenorthwest (Reply #30)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 11:21 AM

31. Yep - and how did you know that it was precisely those statements I found

most appealing. I love the word Bloodbath and any politician who invokes it gets my vote.

Honestly I was referring to other things he said and projected, as you probably know.

Bryant

Response to Bluenorthwest (Reply #23)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 12:46 PM

35. +1 I thought of replying to the OP. Then I read you're post.......

I could not have said it better. Right on.

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 11:01 AM

27. Shouldn't this be in Meta??

Just sayin'

Response to thelordofhell (Reply #27)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 11:03 AM

29. You are probably right; I was away from DU when the Meta forum was created

So don't remember it as i should sometimes.

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 11:02 AM

28. Compared to the modern Republican Party? By that standard Nixon looks pretty good.

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 11:24 AM

32. Fuck Ronny Raygun

He should have been impeached over Iran/Contra.
But he did many more things that still have this country fucked up,privatized prisons,busting unions,ect.

I voted for Carter.

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 12:03 PM

33. he really disliked the bush family

and he was`t the worse president since the late 1800`s

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 01:03 PM

36. What about the tens of thousands who died of AIDS

because the Reagan administration denied funding for research? Oh, gee whiz, who cares about a bunch of dead queers and drug addicts, right?

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 01:13 PM

38. My contempt for what you have posted knows no bounds. I want to tell you to go fuck yourself

in the worst way.

Have you ever watched anyone suffer and die from AIDS? I'm LGBT, and I have, and so have more than a few LGBT DUers, and probably some straight folks here have lost loved ones to this horrible disease as well.

In fact, some in the DU community are dealing with treating their HIV at this moment.

Unless you are some kind of vicious freak homophobe, you must have absolutely no idea of the grave insult you have just offered to everyone who has ever suffered/died from AIDS, and their families, friends, the LGBT community, and anyone who really has a heart.

Your post is disgusting, and if, after reading my post, you still believe that he was not so bad, then you are one sick puppy, and maybe you should take your thoughtless, heartless conservative bullshit elsewhere. Not only was Reagan personally responsible for the unchecked spread of HIV/AIDS, this heartless murdering monster deliberately helped destroy any semblance of democracy we ever had in this country. But, even if he had not done this, his personal responsibility for the spread of AIDS and the human suffering it has caused qualifies him as monstrous and possibly sociopathic.

Not so bad? WTF? Do I seem angry? Maybe it's because I have the image of someone I knew dying from AIDS, yes - like blood poisoned shaking sweating and moaning in agony type suffering and dying right before my eyes.

I can't say what I really want to you here,and what kind of person you must be to post what you did because my post would get hidden, and I might even get tombstoned for it. I can only hope that you have the excuse that you are ignorant of Reagan's personal culpability for the spread of AIDS and all the subsequent misery it has caused for so many people.

Yes, you are entitled to your opinion. But if you are going to make excuses for Reagan, and if you if you think this is no big thing, then you really probably should not be posting on this website, because the overwhelming majority of people posting here have hearts.

Reagan's AIDS Legacy / Silence equals death

By Feb. 1, 1983, 1,025 AIDS cases were reported, and at least 394 had died in the United States. Reagan said nothing. On April 23, 1984, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced 4,177 reported cases in America and 1,807 deaths. In San Francisco, the health department reported more than 500 cases. Again, Reagan said nothing. That same year, 1984, the Democratic National Convention convened in San Francisco. Hoping to focus attention on the need for AIDS research, education and treatment, more than 100,000 sympathizers marched from the Castro to Moscone Center.

With each diagnosis, the pain and suffering spread across America. Everyone seemed to now know someone infected with AIDS. At a White House state dinner, first lady Nancy Reagan expressed concern for a guest showing signs of significant weight loss. On July 25, 1985, the American Hospital in Paris announced that Rock Hudson had AIDS.

With AIDS finally out of the closet, activists such as Paul Boneberg, who in 1984 started Mobilization Against AIDS in San Francisco, begged President Reagan to say something now that he, like thousands of Americans, knew a person with AIDS. Writing in the Washington Post in late 1985, Rep. Henry Waxman, D-Los Angeles, stated: "It is surprising that the president could remain silent as 6,000 Americans died, that he could fail to acknowledge the epidemic's existence. Perhaps his staff felt he had to, since many of his New Right supporters have raised money by campaigning against homosexuals."

Reagan would ultimately address the issue of AIDS while president. His remarks came May 31, 1987 (near the end of his second term), at the Third International Conference on AIDS in Washington. When he spoke, 36,058 Americans had been diagnosed with AIDS and 20,849 had died. The disease had spread to 113 countries, with more than 50,000 cases.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/opinion/openforum/article/Reagan-s-AIDS-Legacy-Silence-equals-death-2751030.php#ixzz2K2uaBfDj

Good grief, what is happening to democratic underground? Reagan wasn't so bad? Reagan wasn't so bad? Are you fucking kidding me?!?

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 01:26 PM

39. Locking

This discussion should be in Meta.