HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Media pundits are insane
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 02:07 AM

Media pundits are insane

Last week, we noted the way the Washington postís Glenn Kessler is turning into a partisan crank...Kesslerís piece is almost insane. Itís a throwback to the bad old days, in which the press corps pretended to be deeply worried about such questions as these:

Why would Candidate Gore wear a brown suit?
Did Naomi Wolf tell him to wear it?
If so, does that mean that Gore doesn't know who he is?
Why does his suit jacket have three buttons?
Why did Candidate Kerry go wind-surfing off Nantucket?
Why did Kerry get the wrong kind of cheese on his cheesesteak?
Why did Candidate Obama drink orange juice instead of just ordering beer?

Yesterday, the lunacy spread as George Stephanopoulos spoke with Matthews Dowd on ABC's This Week.

STEPHANOPOULOS: We're back with our roundtable right now. And, Matthew Dowd, I want to come to you, but as I come to you, I also want to put up the new salvo in the debate yesterday from President Obama.

You saw that picture they released of the president skeet-shooting at Camp David back in August, after he said it was something he does all the time up in Camp David. And David Plouffe, his former senior adviser, puts out a tweet saying, "Attention skeet-birthers, make our day. Let the Photoshop conspiracies begin." Of course, they were answering the skepticism about whether President Obama was really a shooter. But was it smart to put out that photo?

DOWD: Well, I think they had to put out the photo. I think if you go back a few days, I don't think it was very smart for him to make that statement in the New Republic when he said, "I shoot skeet all the time up there," because, first of all, it wasn't going to change anybody's mind that's against him. It wasn't going to make anybody think, "Oh, wow, Barack Obama is this." It reminds me of wható To paraphrase Margaret Thatcher, which is, being a skeet-shooter, being a hunter is a lot like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you're probably not. Nobody is going to believe him because of that picture, and that picture I think just makes him look like he's pandering. And as Carly (Fiorina) said on the break, he is pandering in that. And I think that's the problem with it, that it's sort of a distraction from the debate. I don't think they should have ever said it. Nobody believes that about the president.

Can you see that that entire exchange is basically insane?

http://dailyhowler.blogspot.com/2013/02/manifest-insanity-watch-nature-of-our.html

5 replies, 662 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply Media pundits are insane (Original post)
HiPointDem Feb 2013 OP
Warpy Feb 2013 #1
Ian Iam Feb 2013 #2
HiPointDem Feb 2013 #3
gooss1234 Feb 2013 #4
HiPointDem Feb 2013 #5

Response to HiPointDem (Original post)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 02:14 AM

1. I saw that years ago, so I turned the lot of them off

They all exist within the same bubble of insanity, whether they're Democrats or Republicans, liberals or wingnuts, men or women, black or white. It's all the same confined space where the only things they get from outside their bubble are occasional press releases, usually tailored to fit the conversation within the bubble.

When a limited group of people talk to only each other, they start to sound pretty insane after a few months. The Washington/NY media bubble has gone on for years.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 04:28 AM

2. No

They're merely closeminded.

Reply to this post

Response to Ian Iam (Reply #2)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 04:57 AM

3. close-minded? that conversation is insane. it has nothing to do with being closeminded.

Reply to this post

Response to gooss1234 (Reply #4)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 05:28 AM

5. what?

it's insane first because whether or not the president skeet-shoots is of no importance whatsoever, yet they're presenting this to the public as though it were a matter of grave importance;

and 2) the reason the president gave a picture of himself shooting to the press is because they demanded proof when he said he liked to skeetshoot -- also by way of answering a stupid question posed by the media.

they're insane. completely insane. they tell us *nothing* about anything that matters and volumes about crap that doesn't. and all in grave tones, as if this nonsense was vital to the future of the country.

completely bankrupt.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread