HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » I think I found my price ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 11:41 PM

I think I found my price limit on Cigarettes.

went before the superbowl to get my weekly cartons of reds and the price was about 30 dollars higher than they were the week before. I understand they have taxes added to them but that number made my heart drop. I just decided right then and there that I was done. Over. Cold Turkery.

Well, the price was wrong, the register hadn't cleared from the purchase before. My price was no different that it should have been but it made me stop and think. I never thought the day would come when I would make the decision to quit based on price. My kids will be so proud. So will my better half.

62 replies, 4560 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 62 replies Author Time Post
Reply I think I found my price limit on Cigarettes. (Original post)
sad-cafe Feb 2013 OP
mattvermont Feb 2013 #1
Luminous Animal Feb 2013 #19
Tunkamerica Feb 2013 #26
sweetloukillbot Feb 2013 #33
Le Taz Hot Feb 2013 #39
Hyper_Eye Feb 2013 #25
energumen Feb 2013 #58
Buzz Clik Feb 2013 #2
hrmjustin Feb 2013 #3
marybourg Feb 2013 #6
hrmjustin Feb 2013 #7
marybourg Feb 2013 #9
hrmjustin Feb 2013 #10
sad-cafe Feb 2013 #14
Recursion Feb 2013 #48
marybourg Feb 2013 #4
MrSlayer Feb 2013 #5
Warpy Feb 2013 #8
LadyHawkAZ Feb 2013 #11
dog_lovin_dem Feb 2013 #17
LadyHawkAZ Feb 2013 #51
Tom Ripley Feb 2013 #61
myrna minx Feb 2013 #12
Skittles Feb 2013 #34
myrna minx Feb 2013 #42
Skittles Feb 2013 #54
abelenkpe Feb 2013 #13
freshwest Feb 2013 #15
Stonepounder Feb 2013 #20
freshwest Feb 2013 #23
jambo101 Feb 2013 #16
Ed Suspicious Feb 2013 #18
Skittles Feb 2013 #36
SouthernDonkey Feb 2013 #21
Permanut Feb 2013 #22
xtraxritical Feb 2013 #24
Warpy Feb 2013 #27
xtraxritical Feb 2013 #44
xtraxritical Feb 2013 #47
Bonobo Feb 2013 #28
tclark0404 Feb 2013 #29
Skittles Feb 2013 #37
myrna minx Feb 2013 #43
bigwillq Feb 2013 #45
pintobean Feb 2013 #50
tclark0404 Feb 2013 #59
Alameda Feb 2013 #30
madokie Feb 2013 #31
adieu Feb 2013 #32
arthritisR_US Feb 2013 #35
napoleon_in_rags Feb 2013 #38
raccoon Feb 2013 #49
meaculpa2011 Feb 2013 #40
gooss1234 Feb 2013 #41
bigwillq Feb 2013 #46
warrior1 Feb 2013 #52
moobu2 Feb 2013 #53
William769 Feb 2013 #55
WCIL Feb 2013 #56
workinclasszero Feb 2013 #57
sad-cafe Feb 2013 #60
tclark0404 Feb 2013 #62

Response to sad-cafe (Original post)

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 11:44 PM

1. Chantix works

Done 4 years ago.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to mattvermont (Reply #1)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 12:55 AM

19. Chantix made me so nervous I smoked more. E-cigs has been great...

because, for some strange reason, I "smoke" way less and it incredibly less expensive.

Reply to this post

Response to Luminous Animal (Reply #19)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 01:50 AM

26. +1 to e-cigs. there is a little learning curve and i just got some

less than awesome juice that i'll be chipping away at for the next month, but i've only smoked half a pack of cigarettes since last july. none in the last 2 months or so.

Reply to this post

Response to Luminous Animal (Reply #19)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 03:10 AM

33. I went cold turkey off tobacco w/ e-cigs.

I'd been off the e-cig for about 6 months as well, but I've started it up again recently. Very low nicotine though.

Reply to this post

Response to sweetloukillbot (Reply #33)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 04:50 AM

39. There's something about that 6-month

anniversary that makes some people crave cigarettes again. I had been quit for 6 months, no cheating, nothing, then all of a sudden I started having cravings like I had just quit and been without a cigarette for several hours. Just weird. I went to the doctor who prescribed Wellbutrin and that did it. I stayed on that for about 2 months, then was able to go off of it with no problem. But you'd think after 6 months the cravings would be completely gone because the nicotine is out of your system.

Reply to this post

Response to mattvermont (Reply #1)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 01:39 AM

25. 5 years for me.

I took Chantix and I smoked my last cigarette the night before Feb. 1, 2008. It was one of the best decisions I have ever made. Those that are interested in trying Chantix should have a full consultation with their doctor beforehand and make sure they are fully aware of the side effects. Most of the side effects that people talk about now were not known when I took it. Regardless, I'm glad I did it and so are my wife and kids.

Reply to this post

Response to Hyper_Eye (Reply #25)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 07:42 PM

58. e-cigs are the way to go for me

i still really miss smoking but having the ecig makes it bearable. quite a bit less expensive. still i would like to be free of them also

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 11:44 PM

2. I thought you were going to say, "A lung."

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 11:45 PM

3. I think they are up to 13 dollars a pack here in NYC.

I wish you the best.

Reply to this post

Response to hrmjustin (Reply #3)

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 11:47 PM

6. $13 a PACK??? I thought $10 a carton was

outrageous, and I quit at that point.

Reply to this post

Response to marybourg (Reply #6)

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 11:50 PM

7. Both of my parents quit cold turkey because they could not afford it anymore.

Reply to this post

Response to hrmjustin (Reply #7)

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 11:55 PM

9. Maybe that becomes after all the most compelling

reason to quit.

Reply to this post

Response to marybourg (Reply #9)

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 11:57 PM

10. That is the theory behind raising the prices on it.

Bloomberg feels that if you raise the prices so much people will quit, and we will have less health problems in NYC. If we have less health problems the city does not have to spend so much on health care. That's the theory.

Reply to this post

Response to marybourg (Reply #9)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 12:16 AM

14. I think it is

I don't feel the need to otherwise, not even the hassles we smokers go through when we want to smoke. Not even smoking in my own backyard becasue the better half doesn't want smoking in the house.

The price . That is the bottom dollar. I refuse to pay more than 55.00 a carton and when the register said 80 I was instantly ready to say thanks, but no thanks

Reply to this post

Response to hrmjustin (Reply #3)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 11:48 AM

48. Smokeless tobacco is $10 per tin in NYC

As opposed to $2-3 in the rest of the country.

Reply to this post

4. It's an excellent reason to quit! Both my spouse and I

quit for that reason, at different price points. We all have our limits. Mine was $1.25 as I recall. His was $.40!!

Reply to this post

5. Good for you.

I quit for monetary purposes on Memorial Day and haven't looked back. It has been no problem at all.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 11:51 PM

8. Every time the price goes up, the smoking rate goes down

and fewer immortal teenagers and impoverished and stressed out college kids start.

Funny how that works.

The trick is keeping the price high enough to hurt without making it high enough to encourage a black market.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 12:02 AM

11. I've been on an e-cig for over a year now.

Substantially cheaper, just as pleasant and I can do interesting things I could never do on analogs, like breathe.

Reply to this post

Response to LadyHawkAZ (Reply #11)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 12:41 AM

17. My husband and I

each purchased an e-cig kit last week. This is the first time in almost 30 years that I haven't smoked at least a pack a day. I finished my last analog cig last Friday and don't have any desire to have another. This thing is amazing!

Reply to this post

Response to dog_lovin_dem (Reply #17)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 02:23 PM

51. I would never have quit without mine

I loved my cigarettes and didn't really want to quit, but after almost 26 years it was taking its toll on my lungs. This makes me happy and I'm only into it about $22 a month.

Good luck to you and hubby.

Reply to this post

Response to dog_lovin_dem (Reply #17)

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 10:19 PM

61. This is my 8th week of e-cigs, and like you I smoked a pack a day for 30 years...

I don't miss the analogs at all. It is truly amazing.
You guys keep it up!

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 12:05 AM

12. I just had my 3 year anniversary on 1.25.

I was the person who *no-one* would have believed could quit smoking. The $9,000 (yes, $9,000 at my quit price @ 5.50 a pack) that I didn't spend on cigs in the last three years, paid off my debts. I can't tell you how liberating it is to be done with debt *and* smoking!

I was the gal who would swim and smoke, changed travel plans etc, and I still did it cold turkey. It's tough as hell (it's the triggers that SUCK!), but you can to it! I took a running leap and never looked back (cheated) because I never wanted to have to go through it again.

All of my best to you!

On edit - I feel compelled to say that at my weakest (cold turkey) times, it was hanging around smokers and having a little second hand that got me over the triggers.

Reply to this post

Response to myrna minx (Reply #12)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 03:13 AM

34. proud of you myrna!!

I too smoked for decades but simply gradually lost the will to smoke (the cost, the hassling by my non-smoking friends, the planning for every situation how/where I could smoke, the fear of cancer/COPD) - it all got to me and although it took me several attempts and lots of nic gum chewing, I am now on the NOPE plan (NOT ONE PUFF EVER). I educated myself on how the cravings and triggers work (easy to find info on the internet) and I'll never look back. DAMN though it is one insidious demon - I still have the occasional dream where I am distraught because I smoked some cigs!!! :O

Reply to this post

Response to Skittles (Reply #34)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 09:24 AM

42. LOL - the dreams are the WORST!

I'm always so relieved to wake up from a smoking dream (how could I be so STUPID after all of the hard work!). Whew. Just a dream.

I too had fears of COPD/cancer - I had a nasty smoker's hack I thought would be with me for the rest of my life but now it's completely gone. It took a good year to get past the triggers, but now I don't miss smoking at all, except on occasion when I smell a whiff on the wind and I get a little wistful, but it doesn't last.

I'm proud of you too Skittles. It's a hell of an addiction.

Reply to this post

Response to myrna minx (Reply #42)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 05:35 PM

54. INDEED IT IS

I believe the dreams are the nicodemon's way of letting us know it always hovers in the background, waiting for us to succumb to a weak moment (and yes I too get wistful when I get a whiff of smoke). But we have won the battle and will not return to the battlefield! EDUCATION IS KEY!!!

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 12:15 AM

13. Moved from VA to CA

Long ago. The price of cigarettes in CA was much more than in VA. Made me quit

No regrets!

Good luck

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 12:30 AM

15. You can do it! I had an aunt and uncle who'd smoked 30 years. He went to a doctor who told him he'd

developed emphysema. They went home and threw out their cigarettes and never smoked again. Sometimes it takes a big shock to do that sometime. Best wishes!

Reply to this post

Response to freshwest (Reply #15)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 01:17 AM

20. Something like my wife and I.

About 8 years ago I passed out in the garage on a Saturday night. Ended up having emergency triple-bypass surgery Monday morning. They told me if I wanted to stay alive, quit smoking. They also told me that it would be a good time to quit because I wasn't going to be able to smoke for at least a week, because I wouldn't be able to get to a smoking area for at least that long. A week later, my wife smoked her last cigarette on the way to the hospital to pick me up. She decided that if I couldn't smoke, her smoking around me would be too much temptation for me. I think I had it easier. I was doped up most of the time (open heart surgery is not fun). She had to go cold-turkey. Neither of us have smoked since.

Reply to this post

Response to Stonepounder (Reply #20)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 01:25 AM

23. My brother and BNL are both life-long smokers. They both came down with a condition.

It paralyzed them both from the neck down. It required surgery, being put under for an extended amount of time in the hospital afterwards.

My brother took that opportunity to quit. Unfortunately, my BNL went straight back to smoking. My brother is doing well. My BNL is not. Neither wife smoked.

I'm glad this worked for you and hope it works well for sad cafe, too. I've seen some very sad cases of people who did not give it up. Thanks for your story.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 12:34 AM

16. Up here in Montreal

When the price finally reached $10 a pack something in my head finally saw the light and i could no longer participate in the obvious tax rip off the government was perpetrating on smokers.After trying to quit for 30yrs using various methods that never worked that $10 a pack definitely got me thinking about the logic of smoking.
Its been 4 years since that clerk at the store asked me for the $10 and its now been 4 years since i smoked my last cigarette.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 12:54 AM

18. 10ish years ago, I was broke and smokeless. It was food for the kids and me or cigs.

That was the end. Cold turkey. I tried twice before with gum and the patch to no avail. I took the financial disincentive to end it.

Reply to this post

Response to Ed Suspicious (Reply #18)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 03:15 AM

36. you're a good guy, Ed

and kids notice stuff like that

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 01:19 AM

21. My wife quit

cold turkey on our anniversary June 23rd, 2007. I quit on Chantix August 15th, 2007. Only took the Chantix two weeks. The two of us would smoke a carton in 3 days! I was a 2 pack a day (at least) smoker for 32 years. Weve never looked back. Best thing we ever did for each other! We feel like we've been given a new life.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 01:22 AM

22. Used to get them for a buck a carton..

back in the sixties; I was in the Navy, bought them on board my ship, but had to wait until we got outside the three mile limit so taxes wouldn't apply.

I quit six years ago when they were around $4.00 a pack, but it wasn't the money that did it, it was the heart attack.

No repeat performances, thank goodness.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 01:31 AM

24. Ok, not for everyone and I'm sure I'll get flamed but here's how I quit...

I got my cigarettes (Swisher Sweet Cigarillos) and two half gallons of Seagrams Gin (any serious booze will do). I smoked and drank for days. I drank until I passed out, I got stinking stinking drunk for about three days. When all the smokes and booze finally ran out I was way too sick and shaky to drive so I could not get more. I puked and shook for about three days, I was so sick I did not know if I wanted booze or cigs, it did not matter. After about three days when I could start to eat a little and drink some juices I did not want cigarettes any more. By the fourth day I could take real nourishment and a vitamin pill. In other words you're so sick you don't want anything! I have not smoked or drank since, about a year now. Good luck!

Reply to this post

Response to xtraxritical (Reply #24)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 02:09 AM

27. That's a pretty novel way to do it

but I don't think it would work for binge alcoholics. I've known too many of them who would crawl to a convenience store for beer, literally crawl.

However, any way you can manage to quit is the right way. The bonus here was no more gin. Even if you go back to social drinking, there is no way you're ever going to get that stuff past your nose again.

Reply to this post

Response to Warpy (Reply #27)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 11:44 AM

44. Just the thought makes me ewe.

Reply to this post

Response to Warpy (Reply #27)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 11:46 AM

47. Oh yeah, many years ago there was a place called Shick Shadel that did it this way

and called it "aversion therapy".

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 02:12 AM

28. E-cigs worked PERFECTLY for me.

And now I am not using them either.

It's really about getting rid of the cravings while you break it, I think.

Good luck!

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 02:17 AM

29. Normally I just roam the forums

But had to put my own 2 cents in here. I absolutely swear by e-cigs. I quit on the very first day and haven't smoked for 2 and 1/2 years.

There is a learning curve, but I did alot of research before I embarked on buying a kit. I use Joye eGo-C 1000 mAh batteries with Vision eGo 1.6ml Clearomizers.

The trick to an e-cig, is finding a juice and a nic level that works for you.

If you use the method I do, you'll also want to buy a syringe so you can fill them.

I get all my stuff from http://www.freedomsmokeusa.com

They have TONS of flavors to pick from, my personal recommendation is the Fuzzy Navel.

I buy my juice in 120ml bottles, which run $40 each, lasts me 3 months, so your talking $13 a month or so to use an e-cig compared to whatever cigarettes run in your state. The breaking point for me was $5 a pack. I was starting to buy cigs with my credit card, and I thought about it, and realized, I was buying cigarettes with money I didn't have. When it reached that point, I knew it was time to do something different. That's when I invested in the e-cig. And like I said, I quit the very first day and haven't had an analog since.

It took me a bit to adjust to vaping with one, alot of coughing the first day. Alot of vaping the first day too. But once I got used to it, it's GREAT!!! It's so nice to be able to breathe again, to taste food, to LIVE!!! The smell of analogs just gags me now, I can smell it on people's clothes, outside of convenience stores, all the places you'd find smokers I can smell that rancid smell and I hate it. All I could think is... man... that smell used to be on me too.

e-cigs are a god send. If cold turkey isn't doing it for you, use one, use a GOOD ONE, not one of those cheapys from the quickie mart. THEY WORK!

Reply to this post

Response to tclark0404 (Reply #29)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 03:16 AM

37. welcome to DU

always great for people to offer advice to smokers

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 09:35 AM

43. Welcome to DU, tclark0404

Thanks for adding your experience.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 11:45 AM

45. Hello

Welcome to DU!

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 02:15 PM

50. This post was alerted on as spam.

You served on a randomly-selected Jury of DU members which reviewed this post. The review was completed at Tue Feb 5, 2013, 02:01 PM, and the Jury voted 2-4 to LEAVE IT.

I've tried e-cigs for times I'm in a place that I can't light up. I'm thinking about trying them again.

Welcome to DU.

Reply to this post

Response to pintobean (Reply #50)

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 01:44 AM

59. Spam?

My first post was alerted as spam? Well, gee, thanks for the warm welcome.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 02:34 AM

30. Congratulations!

You can do it. I quite over 3 and a half years ago. The whole thing had become unpleasant. They didn't taste good, cost too much and I had become a social pariah. My cloths stank, hair stank, car stank. It became almost impossible to smoke anyplace. I think they actually changed the content of cigarettes over the years.

I smoked for almost 50 years, my mother, aunts and grandmother all smoked. Smoking used to be fun, a little risque and chic. It's not anymore.

There used to be a camaraderie among smokers for a while, but that's gone now. One met the oddest assortment of people in the smoking areas. It's all over now, time to move on.

I'm so happy to have quite. I didn't think I ever would, but I did and you can too. I did it cold turkey.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 02:37 AM

31. I quit when they went to .60 a pack

This was in august of '67.
Heres what I did to help me cold turkey. Every time I got the urge to smoke a cig I'd put it off and tell myself that I'd maybe smoke one the next urge I had. It was amazing how fast I'd get involved in something and forget all about that cigarette and it wasn't three days until I'd go two maybe three hours between urges. After three days I felt that I could do it. August 14 '77 I smoked my last. The whole secret was to not dwell on that urge to smoke. A little tough to begin with but after I noticed that it would be a lot longer between urges I could see that this approach will work.

Good luck

Oh and I kept a pack with me at all times so if I felt I just had to have one I'd have one handy, it was a physiological thing. Months had passed and one day a friend and I was going somewhere and he said he needed a cigarette and I said if you'll look in the glove box you might find a pack. Somewhere along the way I'd opened that pack as it was opened but it was still full. He got one out and it was so dried out that it was hard for him to smoke so I said lets just throw them all out and the next stop so he could buy a pack, in the trash this pack went. He also told me that if I made it a year he'd quit too. Last time I seen him he was still smoking away.

Funny thing is I'm up right now because of my not being able to breath, Emphysema and COPD has me dead in my tracks and I suspect the many years that I smoked as being a large part of that problem

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 02:45 AM

32. Good for you.

It was the hope of the government that a high enough tax on them would eventually make someone quit.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 03:13 AM

35. I call that a happy accident :) n/t

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 04:34 AM

38. I hate the smoking tax.

Its just so punitive. I mean if were funding something that really helped, like subsidizing nicotine replacement therapies or something, that would make sense. But as it stands its just government profiting off addiction. Addiction is a disease, and the smoking tax is a disease tax. I mean if its going to provide treatment, that's one thing. But on its own its no good.

Reply to this post

Response to napoleon_in_rags (Reply #38)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 02:15 PM

49. Come to SC. Cigarettes are relatively cheap here. nt

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 05:15 AM

40. I hit my limit at $1 a pack.

Quit cold turkey 32 years ago and never craved a cigarette. Lucky, I guess.

My daughter (19) asked me for $10 last night for a pack. I gave it to her even though it breaks my heart.

Reply to this post

Response to gooss1234 (Reply #41)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 11:45 AM

46. Hello

Welcome to DU!

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 02:29 PM

52. Cold turkey IMO

is the best way to go. I just got sick of them and me letting them control my life. Enough.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 02:42 PM

53. I quit 2 1/2 + years ago after 40 years of smoking one after another, It's hard but it can be done.

I started smoking when I was 11 years old because I guess I wanted to be more grown up than I was. I tried to quit many many times over the years but the final straw was my friend told me he was having a heart attack and asked me to drive him to the hospital. It turned out that he wasn't having an attack, but he did have several blockages and some other heart problems that were all related to his smoking. His heart doctor told him if he didn't quit that he probably wouldn't make it to his next birthday, so I told him I would quit with him to. I did gain some weight though, maybe 30 lbs, but it was worth it to me. If I had to do it over again, I would have added some additional exercise. Anyway, good luck with it.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 05:36 PM

55. I did too, thats why I am doing E-cigarettes now.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 06:25 PM

56. You can do it!

June 1st will be my husband's 10 year anniversary of quitting a 30 year, 2 pack a day smoking habit. He quit cold turkey, due to price and how inconvenient it was becoming to smoke. First his office went smoke free, and then he chaperoned our daughter's class trip to Washington DC and had to duck out in the middle of meals, etc. to smoke. He swore he would not do that when his turn to chaperone our son's trip came up, so he quit.

What worked for him was exercise. I had dinner ready when he came home from work, then he left the house and walked for MILES. He walked until he was too exhausted to do anything but come home and fall into bed. Since he always smoked in our detached garage, he had to avoid it and he switched from Pepsi (his smoking beverage of choice) to iced tea. It was a rough first several weeks, but our family life improved a lot after he quit - he was around the family a lot more often, not out in the garage or ducking out looking for a chance to smoke! The difference in his health was dramatic, too.

Best of luck to you!

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 07:32 PM

57. When cigs got to a buck a pack twenty plus years ago...

I said enough and quit. I saw a sign outside a gas station advertizing a carton of cigs for 40 bucks yesterday. WOW how can people afford those stinkin things anymore?

Reply to this post

Wed Feb 6, 2013, 09:40 PM

60. thank you all for your thoughts and advice.

I got an E-Cig kit and when the craving is strong I take some puffs. I am already thinking about what to do with the extra money we will have. My better half thinks we need a tropical vacation. Might take a couple of years for that but it is a worthy goal.

Reply to this post

Response to sad-cafe (Reply #60)

Thu Feb 7, 2013, 02:31 AM

62. More advice

That's awesome that you went and got a kit. Here's some of my advice on using it. The first few weeks, don't be afraid to hit it often. One of the things I noticed from the start is I needed to puff and puff and puff on it to get my nic fix. But this is OK, don't let it bother you if you need to use an e-cig more then you would normally use an analog. This will change, I promise. Just keep using that e-cig, don't give up, don't reach for a regular cig for any reason whatsoever, just throw them away. Tell yourself your not going to smoke any more, and use that e-cig to backup your promise, no matter how many puffs it takes.

Regular cigarettes have other chemicals besides the nicotine that cause cravings, this is what you need to focus on flushing out of your system. It takes about 2 weeks. After that, all you will crave is just nicotine and not the other 4000 chemicals that kept you hooked, and you'll find that your nic cravings when you do have them, are much more bearable.

It's been 2 and a half years for me, and I find when I DO get the urge for nicotine, I don't get all edgy, or nervous, or etc that one normally got from cigarettes. If I was gonna compare it to something, it would be like needing a regular cig with the 4000 chemicals is like a heroin addiction, but needing an e-cig is like needing that first cup of coffee in the morning. But this DOES take time. I guess I can see why my very first post on here looked a bit like spam, I LOVE to preach the testament of the power of e-cigs because IMO, they saved my life. I now live for spreading the message and words of encouragement to those who want to stop as well.

And I really do, from the bottom of my heart, wish you all the best of luck in quitting, for me, it was a new lease on life, and I only hope it can be the same for you.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread