HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » On the Super Bowl: I thin...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 10:58 PM

On the Super Bowl: I think it could be argued that the whole thing

was a bombastic piece of poetic justice and somewhat fits where America is "at" right now. The Super Bowl, like many things in our society, has become just another opportunity to squeeze as much cash out of a duped populace as possible. That is proven literally in the fact that the game is no longer as important as the commercials that are shown. Even websites that used to be reputed for substance, such as CNET, chime on and on about the cost of the commercials. It speaks incredibly loudly about what we value as a society. We are watered down, lacking depth and substance, and digitized.

It's been reported that Beyonce's rehearsals also caused the lights to go out. The million dollar light show was most likely the cause of the power outage which leads one to ask "is it possible we demand too much to be entertained?" I saw a lot of lights and a lot of leg and not much else. Where was the emotion? Where was the connection that music is supposed to bring? Where were the goosebumps that come from hearing the greatest singers amongst us? They were not on that stage and that is what's sad and says so much about us.

We as a society have become sanitized with generic American Idol singers who all sound the same. In these days of digitally compressed everything we have lost our uniqueness and our ability to just be and breathe. That is why the bombast is there. To cover up the fact that there is no emotional connection. There is no substance.

Another thing that comes to mind is that the Super Bowl is in and of itself a microcosm of the larger game of war. And we are a warring nation that is now reflecting on a decade of war and confusion in regards to why we fight. I find it ironic that after the lights went out because the "show" was too bombastic, the other team very nearly won the "game." (For those not in the know Google Rudyard Kipling The Great Game) I know my analogy is a touch extreme but American football as a whole must be a psychologist favorite sport to analyze. And don't get me started on the homosexual undertones that exist with terms like "wide receivers", "tightends", and "fullbacks". Or is it just me thinking these things! Ha!

Nonetheless it's a violent sport that mirrors war and taking territory while throwing bombs and gaining ground with a lot of ass slapping. All the while we cheer like good Romans and gather the next day at the water cooler or on Facebook and pontificate loudly about what took place. That's entertainment!

And that entertainment keeps us happy. Blinded but happy or so it would seem. The Super Bowl is the respite from the problems we face as a nation. It's part of our national consciousness. A reason not to dwell on what plagues us. On one positive note ( I don't have too many) the Sandy Hook children were there reminding us of who we are and what we currently stand for and need to change. Their presence was definitely the highlight for me. Apart from that it was business as usual.

To me the superficialness of the half time show is a chance to look inward and ask ourselves what are we really about. Everything is digital, everything is similar, everything is in "your" face. But what I think is lacking and what the world needs to see from us is the putting aside of our American ego. The world doesn't want us to be louder or more nationalistic. It wants us to focus inward to think, to feel, to understand compassion and emotion. We needed a half time show that shows we are human beings and not automatons. We need songs on the scale of "Imagine" sung by maybe a Mary J. Blige (who incidentally has real soul) or a Teo Torriatte (obscure Queen song about togetherness for those not familiar)Instead we had the bombast and the power outage. We had poetic justice. That's what I saw. Here's to hoping next year is better.

18 replies, 1055 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 18 replies Author Time Post
Reply On the Super Bowl: I think it could be argued that the whole thing (Original post)
go west young man Feb 2013 OP
dkf Feb 2013 #1
go west young man Feb 2013 #6
dkf Feb 2013 #10
dkf Feb 2013 #11
just1voice Feb 2013 #2
cherokeeprogressive Feb 2013 #3
just1voice Feb 2013 #7
go west young man Feb 2013 #9
cherokeeprogressive Feb 2013 #13
go west young man Feb 2013 #17
Grown2Hate Feb 2013 #4
ScreamingMeemie Feb 2013 #5
Catherine Vincent Feb 2013 #8
MrSlayer Feb 2013 #12
lapfog_1 Feb 2013 #14
BlueJazz Feb 2013 #15
rightsideout Feb 2013 #16
indie9197 Feb 2013 #18

Response to go west young man (Original post)

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 11:03 PM

1. Oh for Gods sakes, it was fun and peppy and energizing.

It wasn't even especially sexy. Geez.

We don't watch or listen to a Super Bowl half time show to be all moved by some great emotion.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to dkf (Reply #1)

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 11:11 PM

6. I like to analyze things deeply.

Sorry about that. Just my two cents. This may sound trite but long ago before DU had "trending now" items on the front page we used to discuss stuff like this in depth. I just like to throw out a different view to incite discussion and get people talking. Cheers.

Reply to this post

Response to go west young man (Reply #6)

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 11:20 PM

10. Well I hate to break it to you but that's how the music is nowadays.

Moreover, the music that moves me the most tends to be highly depressing, not what the Super Bowl is looking for I imagine.

I would venture that the point is to NOT make people highly reflective of their lives. This is escapism.

Reply to this post

Response to go west young man (Reply #6)

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 11:25 PM

11. As an aside, just saw the hunger games...

And wondered how in the world is that a book for teenagers.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 11:07 PM

2. Rec'd, all good points.

I enjoyed reading your thoughts on "the show" that almost everything in American life has become.

Reply to this post

3. The Super Bowl cost me nary a penny and I didn't see a single second of the halftime show.

Add to that the fact that I saw maybe four of the commercials.

Bombastic? Duped? Light show? Pontificate? Bombs? Who the fuck is Mary J Blige, and who needs a fucking halftime show? Poetic justice?

I saw a pretty good football game, in the company of lifelong friends, shared some of my home brew with them (they even took some home).

Embrace your homosexual overtones and overthink everything you encounter if it makes you feel better.

I just wish Harbaugh would have ran the ball when the 'Niners had it on the five instead of throwing it four times. What a waste and a lack of imagination. I would have loaded the left side with receivers (there's that homosexual stuff again), and had the tackle report to the linesman as eligible. Then I would have Kap run a naked (Oops I MUST be a homo) bootleg and lob the ball into the tackle's arms. Game over, San Francisco wins, and Kap's the MVP.

Reply to this post

Response to cherokeeprogressive (Reply #3)

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 11:12 PM

7. Damn, that was nasty and bigoted.

Somebody posted something earlier about "this place is nasty sometimes". Sure is.

Reply to this post

Response to cherokeeprogressive (Reply #3)

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 11:19 PM

9. Something for the man love!

Reply to this post

Response to go west young man (Reply #9)

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 11:27 PM

13. It's on my iPod. Not the live version though. I've never really liked Queen live.

White Man is actually my favorite song on A Day at the Races.

Reply to this post

Response to cherokeeprogressive (Reply #13)

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 12:34 AM

17. Ah cool.

Dig the early stuff myself. Especially Day at the Races, News of the World, Night at the Opera and Jazz.

Reply to this post

4. "And that entertainment keeps us happy."

Tell that to my catatonic 49ers fan friends. Nice post, though.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 11:10 PM

5. The Packers weren't in it...

...so, therefore, it was less so.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 11:13 PM

8. As far as that halftime show...

I just watched it on YT and that was definitely an entertainment show for the guys. Shake, rattle and roll.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 11:27 PM

12. The halftime show did not cause the power outage.

If the halftime show was drawing too much power, the lights would have gone out during it. Considering that they not only lost the lights but also communications and normal power they must have lost a transformer or even a substation.

I believe the same thing happened in San Francisco during a Monday Night game last season.

As a master electrician, I had to point this out.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 11:38 PM

14. On the radio (CBS) it was reported that Beyonce show had portable generators

which would only make sense for a show like that.

Not to mention that outage actually happened at the substation that feeds the venue, at not inside the SuperDome.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 11:46 PM

15. I think after the game, we should all go to Mcdonald's for some delicious nourishment.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 11:49 PM

16. I didn't pay much attention to all the hoopla

I was more into rooting for my home team, the Raven's.

I don't think many football fans really care or thought about the commercial aspect of it all. They're more into watching the game. The commercials, halftime and the power outage couldn't get over fast enough.

Reply to this post

Tue Feb 5, 2013, 01:48 AM

18. On the halftime show....

Compare Beyonce to the 2003 performer. Who wins for talent? And emotion?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread