HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » The GOP Will Sell Their H...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 10:06 AM

The GOP Will Sell Their Hideous Agenda With Fresh New People

I don't believe the Republican Party is dead. They may have lost the presidential race with a lackluster candidate. But their bench is deep. It's packed with talent and charisma. In the coming year, the GOP will be making their horrifying policy arguments with an exciting new group of people.

Although Mitt Romney failed to connect at the convention, many of the speakers on that stage were clearly emerging stars at the beginning of what promise to be long careers making backward social policy and disastrous fiscal decisions. Susana Martinez, Marco Rubio, Nikki Haley, and Chris Christie inspired the crowd with their wit, charm, and obvious talent. They're going to use those skills to put an entirely novel spin on their appalling right wing views on abortion and gay marriage. Backed by depressing corporate ghouls like the Koch brothers, they will no doubt find a riveting way to promote extreme deregulation and strip social services bare.

Believe me, these people will spend the next election cycle appearing all over the media, flirting with young-earth creationism and shilling for the NRA. They're really going to shake things up with the interesting, awful things they believe.

I even think one of these four are going to give the GOP response to the State of the Union. He or she will perform beautifully: Look for an impressive personal story of gumption and triumph against all odds coupled with a disingenuous apology for letting corporations cheat and poison us under the guise of some stupid slogan like "getting the government off your backs," but with totally different words. And then Peggy Noonan will praise the "energy" or "verve," and if the speaker is Latino, she'll write about how she really likes Latinos, and it will be condescending and creepy, but it will make people feel just great.

All over this nation, these people are going to be generating the kind of passion they did at the convention when Susana Martinez talked about having a .357 Magnum as a young girl, and the audience erupted into one of the longest ovations of her speech, which really ought to sicken anyone who isn't a complete sociopath, only it doesn't.

READ THE REST:
http://paulbibeau.blogspot.com/2013/02/the-gop-will-sell-their-hideous-agenda.html

12 replies, 771 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 12 replies Author Time Post
Reply The GOP Will Sell Their Hideous Agenda With Fresh New People (Original post)
paulbibeau Feb 2013 OP
JaneyVee Feb 2013 #1
paulbibeau Feb 2013 #2
JaneyVee Feb 2013 #4
Bluenorthwest Feb 2013 #3
paulbibeau Feb 2013 #5
Bluenorthwest Feb 2013 #7
paulbibeau Feb 2013 #8
justabob Feb 2013 #11
JaneyVee Feb 2013 #6
farminator3000 Feb 2013 #9
farminator3000 Feb 2013 #10
kelliekat44 Feb 2013 #12

Response to paulbibeau (Original post)

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 10:11 AM

1. Chris Christie hates his own party, Bobby Jindal thinks his party is "stupid", at this rate

the GOP will have to nominate Joseph Kony in 2016.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to JaneyVee (Reply #1)

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 10:19 AM

2. You know what they won't change about the Republican Party?

The Republicans.

When you have a party made up entirely of the kind of people who ruin Thanksgiving dinner, you're always going to be in trouble.

Reply to this post

Response to paulbibeau (Reply #2)

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 10:22 AM

4. Yup, and their rabid hate-filled base of rejects & neanderthals is a turn off for many Independents.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 10:21 AM

3. Yeah, not dead but also, all those suprelatives you use seem way overstated...

'Wit, charm, talent' and you insist that they WILL put 'an entirely novel spin on their appalling right wing views'. Not that they will try to do so, you say they WILL and it will be entirely novel! You insist that they will 'shake things up with the interesting things they believe'. You also say 'awful' but the message is that they will shake things up, oh yes...
You tell us this: "All over this nation, these people are going to be generating the kind of passion they did at the convention."
I just don't see it. You seen smitten by a batch of clunky, atavistic, unappealing politicians. The passion they generated at the convention lost them the election...you seem to think it was historic political genius.
Not buying it.

Reply to this post

Response to Bluenorthwest (Reply #3)

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 10:23 AM

5. Satire.

Reply to this post

Response to paulbibeau (Reply #5)

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 10:27 AM

7. Ah, that's better then.

I just read an OP almost exactly like it that was not satire.
I love the line in thread about 'people who ruin Thanksgiving' that is golden...

Reply to this post

Response to Bluenorthwest (Reply #7)

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 10:33 AM

8. To be fair, it's very dry...

And when you make the argument that the GOP is too vicious and crazy to appeal to Americans, there's always that sneaking doubt... because how much insanity and viciousness have Americans historically put up with? That's the disturbing line of inquiry. There are times when CNN headlines look like Onion headlines.

Reply to this post

Response to paulbibeau (Reply #5)

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 11:31 AM

11. I was wondering

Reading your post, I was wondering if you watched the same convention I did. I saw none of that... except a lot of the "guys that ruin Thanksgiving".

Reply to this post

Response to Bluenorthwest (Reply #3)

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 10:23 AM

6. Its satire.

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 11:28 AM

9. wha happen to the funny? i still like it, tho!

dave barry interview-
What’s your preferred literary genre? Any guilty pleasures?

I like nonfiction, mostly history. My guilty pleasure is tough-guy-loner action novels, like the Jack Reacher series, where the protagonist is an outwardly rugged but inwardly sensitive and thoughtful guy who, through no fault of his own, keeps having to beat the crap out of people.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/03/books/review/dave-barry-by-the-book.html?_r=0

he has a really good 2012 in review column, too.
http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2012-12-30/lifestyle/36323648_1_anthony-weiner-train-wreck-gangnam-style
But then, WHAP, we were slapped in our national face by the cold hard frozen mackerel of reality in the form of the hugely popular new “reality” show “Here Comes Honey Boo Boo,” which, in terms of intellectual content, makes “Jersey Shore” look like “Hamlet.”

i had this idea a while ago- i was gonna give it to you, or we could write it right here on this thread-

have you seen the biden + the gun guy video? 'how are you gonna protect our babies' , and he whips out the AK-47 or AR-15 or ASS-007 as his 'baby'?

i have this image in my head of him having tea with Gandhi...discussing politics, perhaps...

Gravel crunched hesitantly under the wheels of the 4x4 as it ground to a stop in front of the ashram. Behind the long black barrel protruding from the driver's window sat the 21st century approximation of a man, brim lowered, frown on. He lumbered in, past the "Where there is love there is life" greeting sign, leaving a gleaming wad of chaw spit in the flower bed.

maybe uncle joe shows up with a buzz on?

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 11:30 AM

10. "When you have a party made up entirely of the kind of people who ruin Thanksgiving dinner"

precisely. party poopers!

re-poop-licans!

Reply to this post

Mon Feb 4, 2013, 11:32 AM

12. You are so correct. And they will infiltrate the Dem party ..be alert! nt

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread