HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » So what about this isn't ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 04:42 PM

So what about this isn't liberal enough for you?

I believe we're all responsible for the common well being of the physically and mentally ill, the poor, elderly and the homeless and that everyone should have access to affordable healthcare.

I believe in a woman's right to choose what she does with her body, whether it's abortion, tattoos or genital mutilation for religious purposes if that's her choice. I also believe in freedom of religion though I don't personally practice it. I believe gays should have the right to marry.

I believe men/woman as well as all races and colors should be treated equally and fairly as they so desire. Some people like to be treated like slaves or submissive's. That's good by me too if it's their choice.

I believe in stem cell research, legalization of marijuana, and the right to die with dignity. I'm a proponent of, and work in the green energy field. I don't eat meat but if you do, I ask that you treat it humanely.

I do not believe higher taxes for the middle class and lower taxes for the one percent creates a trickle down effect. I do not believe I should be responsible for financing the murder of children overseas through war to better the financial interests of the oil companies, defense industries and the one percent.

BUT I also believe in personal responsibility and less regulation for small business. I don't believe I should have to give up my individual rights or slow enterprise or initiative to accomplish the above. I do not believe that turning America into a police state by means of spying, militarized police, police brutality, armed drones and TSA in public places is going to keep me safe nor do I believe I should be forced to give up my rights in exchange for these things.

I'm sick of people insinuating I'm something I'm not and telling me I don't belong here. Maybe I'm too liberal for the liberals?

19 replies, 1104 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 19 replies Author Time Post
Reply So what about this isn't liberal enough for you? (Original post)
DogPawsBiscuitsNGrav Feb 2013 OP
pkdu Feb 2013 #1
Enrique Feb 2013 #2
MannyGoldstein Feb 2013 #3
DogPawsBiscuitsNGrav Feb 2013 #7
MannyGoldstein Feb 2013 #19
ProgressiveProfessor Feb 2013 #4
DogPawsBiscuitsNGrav Feb 2013 #10
JaneyVee Feb 2013 #5
ellisonz Feb 2013 #6
DogPawsBiscuitsNGrav Feb 2013 #8
ellisonz Feb 2013 #9
DogPawsBiscuitsNGrav Feb 2013 #11
ellisonz Feb 2013 #12
DogPawsBiscuitsNGrav Feb 2013 #13
OriginalGeek Feb 2013 #14
DogPawsBiscuitsNGrav Feb 2013 #17
msongs Feb 2013 #15
hfojvt Feb 2013 #16
DogPawsBiscuitsNGrav Feb 2013 #18

Response to DogPawsBiscuitsNGrav (Original post)

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 04:46 PM

1. You are welcome here DPBNG, but like any open forums we have fringes on both ends...hang in

there, it's worth it.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 04:56 PM

2. the "But" part

I have no problem with any of those positions, but we're not libertarians here and someone aggressively pushing libertarianism is going to have problems. I don't know if that's what's happening but i'm guessing it might be.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 05:00 PM

3. US businesses are less regulated in the US than in pretty much any other industrialized country

The effective tax rates on US business and our wealthy is also around the lowest in the developed world.

Remember back in 1933-1980, when businesses had more regulation, and they and the rich paid far, far more in taxes? How was our country doing then, compared to today?

Our lack of regulation of health care forces us to have the most expensive health care in the world, by far. And it's not good care, if you look at outcomes.

I agree with you on the rise of the spy state and the imperial presidency - it's awful, awful. Virtually all Liberals agree on that.

Reply to this post

Response to MannyGoldstein (Reply #3)

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 05:10 PM

7. When I say small business, I'm not talking about corporations. I'm talking about the family

who's trying to eat by working out of their homes, cars, garages. I'm talking about the farmer who wants to sell raw milk or sell his neighbors non GMO food, the kids with the lemon aid stand. People should have the the right to choose for themselves what they eat or where they buy from instead of the insurance industries, and lobbyists deciding for us through laws and regulations.

Thanks for your reply

Reply to this post

Response to DogPawsBiscuitsNGrav (Reply #7)

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 11:01 PM

19. Basically we agree, then.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 05:03 PM

4. If you cross the purity police on one matter, all of your manifesto will not matter

Reply to this post

Response to ProgressiveProfessor (Reply #4)

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 05:17 PM

10. Not sure who the "purity police" is, but I've probably pissed em off. If it's the gun argument I'm

not even going there, as I'd be beheaded as a troll one way or the other.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 05:06 PM

5. Sounds fairly Liberal to me. Is there some background to this OP I'm missing?

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 05:09 PM

6. Following the previous statment

This is rather awkward if you're trying to be serious in this post:
Some people like to be treated like slaves or submissive's. That's good by me too if it's their choice.

How is a transition from a statement against racial prejudice to that in your thought process?

Just asking

Reply to this post

Response to ellisonz (Reply #6)

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 05:12 PM

8. I was trying to point out that everyone should be equal - man, woman, race, color, unless

they choose otherwise.

Reply to this post

Response to DogPawsBiscuitsNGrav (Reply #8)

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 05:17 PM

9. Your use of the word "submissive" is common sexual innuendo (use the google if you doubt).

If that is not your meaning, are you suggesting that people should be able to sell themselves into servitude? Are you aware that such a practice was once widespread in this country?

It's just a really awkward statement. I'd edit it out.

Reply to this post

Response to ellisonz (Reply #9)

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 05:22 PM

11. You're correct, I was speaking about BDSM folks, but that I know of they don't sell themselves, they

do it for free. It's a lifestyle choice and becoming more popular by the day. That's why I even brought it up. It's not my thing but if it's theirs, it's cool by me.

Reply to this post

Response to DogPawsBiscuitsNGrav (Reply #11)

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 05:25 PM

12. Good because I was starting to think you were talking about "sweatshops"

Reply to this post

Response to ellisonz (Reply #12)

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 05:28 PM

13. No, lol, sweatshops are on my list of bad things. Thanks for your comments :)

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 05:48 PM

14. I can say I don't have a problem with any of that...

Regarding business regulations, I have no idea what you consider too much or not enough so I'll just state how I see it: Most everyday folks just don't have the facilities or money or knowledge to be able to judge whether or not everything they eat or drink or wear or swim in or breath or invest in is poisoning them or bankrupting them.

I truly believe corporations left to their own devices will poison me and bankrupt me and try to kill me by simply not caring to make sure their products or services won't.

So I believe the government is my last line of defense against greedy corporate assholes who would see me dead and/or poor as long as they got whatever they could from me first.

I KNOW I have a personal responsibility to not eat poison or feed it to my kids or invest in dumb things but how am I supposed to find that out without the government setting up agencies and departments that are mandated to tell me the truth? I love personal responsibility and self-determination and freedom but I don't believe I have the freedom to willfully cheat people or sicken them and neither should the businesses I patronize.

Reply to this post

Response to OriginalGeek (Reply #14)

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 08:48 PM

17. You said...

"So I believe the government is my last line of defense against greedy corporate assholes who would see me dead and/or poor as long as they got whatever they could from me first."

I one hundred percent agree with you on the greedy corporate assholes who would see you dead, but not about the government being your last line of defense. Your first and last line of defense should be your community it's self.

Most of of our politicians (including those on our side) either have special interests in, or are working with those same greedy corporations you speak of. It's the very reason our air, water and soil are being poisoned. It's why the oil companies drill right off our shore, poisoning the oceans, killing the marine life, and yes eventually killing us. Same goes for big pharma and the GMOs. They're not doing what's in our best interests, they're doing what's in their best interests and those two things sadly have nothing in common.

I haven't found any agency who tells us the truth about our food water and air. The very few times the greedy corporations are caught red handed killing us, they're slapped on the wrist with a lower fine than you or I would get for doing much less because they're to big to fail. The government didn't protect us from the banks either.

I don't have all the answers, but what I do know is that if you're ever hungry in central America and you're brave enough to leave the tourist areas and go local, the way you can tell the safest, cleanest, best value for the money restaurants is by looking for the lines. The community it's self sets and supports the highest standards. It raises the bar higher than any government regulations would.

Thank you for your thoughtful input.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 06:11 PM

15. unfortunately some of your "liberal' policies are not practiced by our current dems in power -

our president and congress believe in "...financing the murder of children overseas through war to better the financial interests of the oil companies, defense industries and the one percent."

They also believe in turning America into a police state and that you should give up your rights to accomplish this.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 06:15 PM

16. sounds like you believe in tax cuts for the "middle class"

and that smells like Reaganomics to me.

of course, I myself am not liberal enough for most on this board.

There are some on the board who want to narrow the membership down to - "a group of people who agree with me on everything".

Wouldn't THAT be a fun discussion board. Every thread would just have fifty replies saying only "KNR" or there might be a few people who responded with "I agree completely" until those people got banned for deviating from the definitive response.

Reply to this post

Response to hfojvt (Reply #16)

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 08:51 PM

18. What I believe is that the middle class shouldn't be forced to pay higher taxes to compensate for

the corporations and the one percent refusing to pay their share.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread