HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » "The right is screwe...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 05:23 AM

"The right is screwed."

http://www.boomantribune.com/story/2013/2/1/222316/7884

The Wilderness

by BooMan
Fri Feb 1st, 2013 at 11:00:46 PM EST

That the Republican Party is demonstrating fractured views on foreign policy is only one small part of a much greater state of generalized disarray. The most obvious problem is that they have no leader. Not only is there no prospect of past leaders like Dick Cheney, John McCain, Sarah Palin, or Mitt Romney making some kind of comeback, there is no one like Ronald Reagan or Poppy Bush waiting in the wings to take the reins of the party and lead it in a new direction.

snip//

People talk a lot about how demographic changes are shrinking the Republicans' natural share of the electorate, and that is true. But the party has been going beyond this disability by alienating groups who were previously at least willing to give them a hearing. The turn against climate science and the increasing hostility toward educators of all types has led rapidly to situation where only six percent of scientists consider themselves Republicans. The conservatives have always had a disadvantage with creative, artistic people, but losing, in addition, almost 19 out of 20 empirical minds is a recipe for disaster. Waging a war against women's rights in Congress and (especially) in the states, while making it painfully clear that they don't like Latinos and don't want blacks to vote, has taken a liability and turned it into an albatross.

Republican ideas already suffer from a non-factual non-evidence based bias, but there are increasing signs that the consensus on important issues is becoming strained. This is true on foreign policy and it is true on economics. There isn't much in common between John McCain and Rand Paul on foreign policy, and you could say the same about economics between Rand Paul and Eric Cantor.

The result is that the GOP appears rudderless. There are certainly fractures within Obama's coalition, but it is big enough to digest them. In fact, the extremism of the modern GOP serves an important role in creating cohesion on the left. We might be highly concerned about many Obama administration policies, but we have nowhere to go and we're happy about so much of what they're doing that we're not willing to risk blowing up the center-left coalition in a fit of pique.

The Republicans appear to be in the wilderness without a map. The few things that are working to unite them (like anti-tax absolutism) are actually going to alienate their big money donors and further weaken them. The right is screwed.

15 replies, 2237 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to babylonsister (Original post)

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 05:27 AM

1. totally screwn!!1!!!1

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 06:52 AM

2. I hope so, but it is amazing how effective hatred is as a glue to hold together

certain groups. The one thing the right has going for it right now is hatred. They hate Obama, they hate minorities, they hate intellectuals, they hate women, they hate so many individuals and groups, that they never run out of the glue of hatred.

In fact, rage and hatred is probably more important than anti-tax absolutism in holding them together right now.

Oh, yeah--and fear. But that fear is just another face of their hatred anyway.

Reply to this post

Response to tblue37 (Reply #2)

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 08:01 AM

7. I believe that

you are right. I think it goes deeper than that. They all operate from the core belief that they are supreme to everyoneelse and they should be incharge. The oldest sin in the World is hatred of your fellow man. Without hate you will not have every other sin. That is why they are hypocrits. That is what I have learned since my time on Earth. It is not attributed to just one culture either. It is not attributed to the name of a party either but to individuals.

The Republican Party use to be the Party of Lincoln and radical abolitionists. It is the Party that created Big Government and rejected State's Rights and the Institution of slavery. The South hated those ideas. You saw this hatred continously manifested itself through the Civil War, Reconstruction, Jim Crow, and the Civil Rights movements up to now. They just switched Parties but the participants remain the same. The North is now solidly Democratic and the South solidly Republican. The North is more Liberal and tolerant but the South remains intolerant to different peoples. Economic interests are only a sub topic to their over all dislike of other groups of people and the notion of equality. Equality only means their superior status in society is threatened by those groups. So they are still fighting the Civil War their fathers fought till the day they die. They see the election of Obama as a symbol of that fight. They will lose the War with their hatred once again. The Constitution still lives but the Confederacy is dead, dead, dead.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 07:04 AM

3. Be warned that quite a few will now infiltrate the Dem and Progressive ranks.

They will be infiltrating most state and local elections making it most important for candidates at all levels be thoroughly vetted by the voters and those leading on the left. These people don't give up. Just as we have some in the military forming groups to overthrow their own government, there are those out there already planning on how to sow seeds of discontent among the "victors." We must remain vigilant. We call them "trolls" here and there damage to us is very limited. But in the larger arena of life they are true evil and have earned the right to be suspect and thwarted.

Reply to this post

Response to kelliekat44 (Reply #3)

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 01:16 PM

11. You are absolutely right. Many are already reluctant to affiliate with their party.

In our area, it is common for them to not put what party they are affiliated with on their advertising material. My husband is unaffiliated & gets mail from everyone. Every piece that didn't designate which party they were with, were repubs. Every one.

It's a good time to get involved locally if you are not already. That's not a personal 'you' k44, it's a generic 'you.' Everyone needs to connect locally.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 07:13 AM

4. Only 6% of scientists consider themselves to be Republicans?

wow!

I like to think of myself as a scientist (although I'm more of a lab-jock than anything else) and I could never imagine myself or any of my coworkers going the republican way, but wow - 6%.

Scientist are arguably among the most analytical of our society and, when you can't provide a fact based argument capable of swaying them to your side, you've lost. Science, by its very nature, requires that you throw your beliefs out the window and accept the cold facts that you observe.

Reply to this post

Response to Victor_c3 (Reply #4)

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 07:37 AM

5. I'm hoping that 6% figure is correct

My job has at least 20 scientists and there are only 2 of us there who are dems. Hearing what comes out if the others' mouths always shocks me. I don't understand how they function in the lab one way, but can't tell truth from bs.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 07:44 AM

6. They do not care as long as they get their money.

If you were to donate just $4,000 a year to their election coffers then they would care about you too.
Like any other prostitute though when the good time is over they are off to hustle some other john in the culture of corruption that pervades the commerce district on Wall and K Street and good riddance to bad rubbish!

Frank Zappa had the right of it,if we want to get abolish corruption once and for all then we are going to have to tax the hell out of the Churches and the Lobbies.
It makes sense to me since they only care about serving themselves to the detriment of humankind.
"F(ck 'Em,Let "Em eat fish heads"is the way I've heard them express their business model/dogma.

Reply to this post

Response to Rain Mcloud (Reply #6)

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 08:02 AM

8. +1. The Repub strength is in that fact. They don't have to have their act together.

Just keep promising low taxes for the wealthy, and the wealthy will make sure they stay in power.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 08:03 AM

9. There is a leader waiting. Jeb Bush. 2nd in command: Rubio. In just a couple

of years, maybe, the party will be ready to take over again, with these new, more moderate leaders, one of whom is a minority and very popular.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 08:04 AM

10. I largely agree, with one critical exception

Everything he says about the GOP is accurate. You can see it in their pundits, you can see it when you visit their forums. They are truly lost. They know the only people left are the fringe, but their entire world-view is based around this myth that they are not only correct, but that the people genuinely want what they are selling. So they tell themselves that their problem is that they just aren't doing enough of it. Romney, in their view, lost because he was too moderate.

No one is conservative enough, or rather, they recognize that no one who isn't a freaking loon is conservative enough. Yet they don't make that connection, that maybe the amazing number of batsh*t crazy ultra right conservatives isn't an accident. In any case, it leaves them pretty well screwed, and it leaves rational people with no choice but to vote against them.

And this is where I part ways with this author.

People want something to vote FOR. It's hard enough to get people to the poles when they really like you. If they are indifferent about you, but hate your political enemy, well, there's probably something on TV. All too often they just don't bother. If our representatives don't start fighting for the people then we will piss away this opportunity to finish the GOP off. If this contest were Cola wars our motto would be:

Same great trickle down neocon taste, and only half the social conservatism!

And that's not getting it done. The people are not going to switch teams, they are not going back to the party of Palin and Limbaugh, but they are not going to waste their time voting for us either. They'll stay hope and watch American Idol. And the crazies on the right?
They vote. They are ALL going to vote. And that scares the hell out of me.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 01:20 PM

12. Never forget how their lies can affect the undercurrent hatred many have though.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 01:23 PM

13. This country is ruled by a corporate oligarchy.

There will be no change in the general direction of policy until we get serious about standing up and getting the money out of our political system.

Reform of the system to remove corporate influence is the ONLY thing that could give us a ghost of a chance of changing the direction this country is on.

It is the single issue we need to be focused on. Otherwise, we will get more of the same, and all the political plans and promises and excitement about candidates are just theater.

The system will remain rigged until the people decide to stand up and demand the corporatists out of it.

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 01:52 PM

14. The common enemy will hold them together

Let's face it...this country has sunk into a political deadlock between two political poles. And I dont see anything changing that.

The GOP is fractured, but it has always been that way. They are held together by a common enemy. That's why they seem to be quite successful when they are in the opposition. They can all agree on opposing the Democrats. But when they are in power...it's like a dysfunctional family because each faction has a different agenda that sometimes conflicts with each other.

What's holding the GOP together? Democrats. Otherwise they would have broken up decades ago.

I dont see them going away. When Kerry lost in 2004, a lot of people thought the Democrats were falling apart too. What held us together? Republicans.

And the cycle continues....

Reply to this post

Response to davidn3600 (Reply #14)

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 01:56 PM

15. And it's all by design.

We are divided into our red and blue camps and set at each other.

It keeps us circling the wagons around our party, even when our party is committing unconscionable policy.

The truth is that the parties agree and are complicit on the most important issues: economics, war, and the police state. That includes education and environmental policy.

But by stoking the partisan divide with wedge issues, the oligarchs and their purchased politicians keep us at each other throats, rather than noticing that they are quietly working together to use our government, our laws, and every aspect of our lives as profit sources.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread