HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » The end of fear: Why that...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 08:51 PM

The end of fear: Why that hoard of cash is streaming into stocks

Source: The Globe and Mail

... All of this is a reversal of what has been a lengthy abandonment of equities by the retail investor. Scarred by scandals, beaten down by two historic bear markets since the turn of the century, investors have been pulling money from stocks and shifting to bonds and cash for years, even in the United States, which has one of the strongest equity cultures in the world.

In a Gallup poll last year, 53 per cent of Americans said they owned stocks, the lowest percentage since the polling company began asking the question in 1998. The Investment Company Institute, a lobby group for the U.S. mutual fund industry, says that 2007 was the last most recent year U.S. investors put more money in to stock funds than they took out.

... After all the dire warnings, the sky hasn’t fallen and people have stopped reacting reflexively, said Michael Obuchowski, a portfolio manager with North Shore Asset Management in Cold Spring Harbor, N.Y., who holds a doctorate in clinical psychology.

... Still, many professional strategists who have been bullish on the markets – and have seen the markets gain almost as much in January as they had projected all year – are now growing cautious.

Read more: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/the-end-of-fear-why-that-hoard-of-cash-is-streaming-into-stocks/article8142845/?page=all

8 replies, 1100 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply The end of fear: Why that hoard of cash is streaming into stocks (Original post)
Newsjock Feb 2013 OP
DogPawsBiscuitsNGrav Feb 2013 #1
A HERETIC I AM Feb 2013 #5
DogPawsBiscuitsNGrav Feb 2013 #8
Nye Bevan Feb 2013 #2
A HERETIC I AM Feb 2013 #4
nobodyspecial Feb 2013 #7
no_hypocrisy Feb 2013 #3
JackN415 Feb 2013 #6

Response to Newsjock (Original post)

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 09:21 PM

1. I'm not putting any my hard earned money back into stocks just yet. Fool me once...

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to DogPawsBiscuitsNGrav (Reply #1)

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 09:47 PM

5. Out of curiosity....

When would it be "yet" for you?

Reply to this post

Response to A HERETIC I AM (Reply #5)

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 12:12 AM

8. I'm going to wait out Israel. They seem hell bent on dragging the US into another war against as

many nations as they can piss off. I'm a little backwards from most people, I don't believe war is good for the economy, nor do I believe higher gas prices are good for the economy. Gas prices are moving up fast and Israel is pretty open about wanting America to participate in another war. Obama's done a good job of keeping us out of Israels wars so far, but I'm not prepared to bet the bank on it just yet. MHO.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 09:30 PM

2. Pretty sad. People sell their stocks when the Dow falls to 7000 because they are afraid,

wait for the Dow to go up to 14000 and then buy stocks because the market looks good again.

Reply to this post

Response to Nye Bevan (Reply #2)

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 09:43 PM

4. Sell low, buy high never made anyone any money. n/t

Reply to this post

Response to Nye Bevan (Reply #2)

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 10:32 PM

7. I just let it ride

You don't actually lose until you sell. Although, I may be forced to retire early and drain it all.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 09:30 PM

3. New cash = new bubble.

No thanks.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 09:55 PM

6. I sold off all recently, and wait for a March dip to by again, and sell again at high

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread