HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Another good question
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 07:58 PM

Another good question

9 replies, 959 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to HarveyDarkey (Original post)

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 08:04 PM

1. From the perspective of an 71 year old, our culture has become more violent and fearful.

it's not just the amount of guns, or the type of guns. It's the conditioning of believing in the need of violence to solve our problems. It's the believing in the need have a weapon at all times to defend yourself. An example would be, how we could possibly do without cellphones or GPS systems and yet, for the majority of my life we all got along just fine, the same holds true for guns, the belief that you need one to defend yourself is relatively new thinking. We just didn't think that way in the fifties and sixties.
Our culture needs to be dialed back to be more peaceful and less fearful.
Stop thinking that you need the newest corporate toys, use your critical thinking and learn to say no to fear

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 08:09 PM

2. when the drug war become a profit center for law enforcement

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 09:20 PM

3. 9/11 boo be afraid! N/ t

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 10:42 PM

4. As with most of the degradation of America, in the 80s.

Daryl Gates turned the ineffective, corrupt, and incompetent LAPD into a quasi military organization of ineffective, corrupt, incompetent, racists that made white suburbanites feel safer, and got a special award from St. reagan for doing it.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 10:46 PM

5. It started around the mid 80s...

I still remember the 70s as a kid, talking to cops that looked like those on the left. I told one I talked to that I wanted to be a police man when I grew up. One day he said he had a present for me. He gave me a doctor's penlight and told me to use my brains and become a doctor. I followed half of his advice- I used my brains and got into flight simulation.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 10:57 PM

6. maybe when the bad guys started toting the same stuff the afghani mujahadeen did

the guys on the left, with their quaint service revolvers are in no way imaginable a match for today's bad guys.

the guys on the left responded to Whitman in 1966. martinez fired all 6 rounds of his service revolver from a distance of 50 feet and missed with all 6. You cant go after a sniper with a 6 shooter. Have any of you realized that the attempted hysteria that is constantly stirred up on DU about "militarized" police...is the exact same thing the gun nuts are screaming about?

Reply to this post

Response to pasto76 (Reply #6)

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 01:45 AM

8. I think one feeds the other. Remember the bank robbery shoot out in CA years ago?

The police had handguns, rifles (but kept locked in their trunks) and were attacked with automatics they weren't prepared for and I saw the results on the news later. It was a bloodbath. I think some men and woman officer were killed or badly shot. They were in no way prepared to deal with what was on the street that day.

I'm not sure where the weaponry the robbers had came from, but it was a wake up call. Since the Brady bill or whatever it was expired or was repealed (sorry, this is something I don't keep track of) there were changes and people began getting more military style weapons - the kind the police didn't have.

It was about that time there were more kinds of 'non-lethal' weapons making the news, and people were buying them too. Pepper spray, tazers, etc. I'm not sure when the gates opened up and people starting buying the ones we see in these recent killing sprees. It's tit for tat. I think the escalation was from the public, and the gun manufacturers. There were stories of attempts to ban some kinds of bullets that went thorugh police vests, etc. And when we see these news stories of crimes going on that I've seen in DU - people are freaked out anyway.

I won't get into a debate on the terms for these guns, or the definitions. I don't care - I'm not in gun school. Not interested.

I don't believe the police started this; but damned if the munitions and arms makers didn't escalate it all for profit. And DHS saw a way to make a killing off contracts. We are awash with guns like a war zone.

I want this to back up as soon as it can.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 11:21 PM

7. Remember when "this" was the so-called "normal"?

Andy Griffith...

Dixon of Dock Green...

Z-Cars:

Even the darned Flying Squad (The Sweeney) in Brit TV changed - 1970's...

but the remake as a movie in 2012 resulted in this?

Reply to this post

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 01:48 AM

9. Philly, 1964

That's when SWAT came into being, at least.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread