HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Maine Guv To Schoolchildr...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 03:02 PM

Maine Guv To Schoolchildren: ‘Newspapers Are My Greatest Fear’ In The State

Maine Guv To Schoolchildren: ‘Newspapers Are My Greatest Fear’ In The State

Maine Gov. Paul LePage (R) on Friday warned students at an elementary school that newspapers represent a menace to the state, the Bangor Daily News reported.

“My greatest fear in the state of Maine: newspapers,” LePage told students at St. John Catholic School in Winslow, Maine. “I’m not a fan of newspapers.”

The Daily News noted that it's the third time that LePage has publicly spoken ill of newspapers, and the second time he's done so in a school.

LePage, who was not endorsed by any major Maine daily newspaper during his run for governor, has frequently made headlines for some of his remarks. Previously, LePage twice publicly warned audiences that Maine’s newspapers are full of lies — first at a fisherman’s forum in Rockport and again to schoolchildren a year later in Waterville.

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/maine-gov-to-schoolchildren-newspapers-are-my-greatest

Houston, we've got a nut!

10 replies, 943 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply Maine Guv To Schoolchildren: ‘Newspapers Are My Greatest Fear’ In The State (Original post)
ProSense Feb 2013 OP
zbdent Feb 2013 #1
ProSense Feb 2013 #9
southernyankeebelle Feb 2013 #2
dballance Feb 2013 #3
magical thyme Feb 2013 #4
GreenPartyVoter Feb 2013 #6
magical thyme Feb 2013 #10
Autumn Feb 2013 #5
Initech Feb 2013 #7
HockeyMom Feb 2013 #8

Response to ProSense (Original post)

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 03:04 PM

1. I wonder why he'd be afraid of newspapers ...

(then again, it's not like there are a lot out there doing any actual journalism any more ...)

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to zbdent (Reply #1)

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 06:35 PM

9. He's nuts. n/t

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 03:05 PM

2. Why is this man going to elementary schools? Aren't parents up in arms about that?

It would be fine if he were comment on how his office works through a bill or something but this is crazy.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 03:18 PM

3. If I Were a Parent of a Kid at that School I'd be Pissed

A governor visiting an elementary school is fine and can be a good thing. But only if the governor keeps their comments to things like "do well in school, be a good neighbor and citizen etc." You, know the bland pablum we all used to get when officials visited schools when I was in elementary school

Lashing out at newspapers in comments to elementary school kids is not appropriate. He may as well have made a campaign speech after comments like he made about newspapers. Of course, I don't know that he didn't. To the elementary kids he's a very important man in their state who can easily influence them. They don't have the experience yet to determine his comments are sour grapes and not some valid warning to them to avoid newspapers and to not believe what's in those papers.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 03:20 PM

4. Guv 38%....just a reminder

to those who forget that 62% of Maine voters voted *against* the teabagger dufus.

20% diehard Democrats voted for Liz (sorry, forget her name) even though she trailed badly in the final weeks.

37% voted for Dem turned Independent Eliot Cutler, a group made up of independents, 3rd partiers and dems (like me, who saw Liz was trailing, and voted at the very last minute in a last ditch attempt to stop Guv 38%)

Approximately 5% voted for the half dozen or so other independent candidates

38% voted "for" Guv Teabagger, including roughly 23% diehard GOPers and Ron Paulistanuts, and 15% if that many actual Teabaggingnuts.

He comes up for re-election soon. Hopefully in a worst case scenario, we'll do the same that we did with Angus, read the handwriting on the wall, and vote for the left-leaning candidate that can actually win.

Reply to this post

Response to magical thyme (Reply #4)

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 03:22 PM

6. I hear Cutler has taken papers out to run again. Hope we don't

split the vote again, because I can't stand LeRage.

Reply to this post

Response to GreenPartyVoter (Reply #6)

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 07:17 PM

10. I heard the same. If true, I hope that we do the same thing we did when Angus threw his hat in

let an unknown get some face time and win 10-15%. Let Cutler take it with40+%. I think enough people despise Guv LeRage at this point, moderate GOP included, that Cutler can win. I don't care that early polls show him winning a 3-way. They don't show a 3-way against exactly who.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 03:21 PM

5. Wonder if he gets smacked with a newspaper at home for peeing all over?

That's the only reason I can see to be afraid of a newspaper.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 03:23 PM

7. Newspapers present facts - the horror!!!

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 03:26 PM

8. Free Speech

probably IS the greatest danger to lot of idiots.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread