HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Nebraska Lt. Gov (R) Resi...

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 11:48 AM

Nebraska Lt. Gov (R) Resigns - Made 1,000s Of Improper Calls To 4 Women On State Cell Phone

Nebraska Lieutenant Gov. Rick Sheehy (R) stepped down abruptly Saturday, the Omaha World-Herald reported. The sudden resignation came on the heels of an investigation by the World-Herald that Sheehy, who had been pegged as a leading contender in the state's gubernatorial race next year, had made thousands of improper calls to four women over the last four years on his state-issued cell phone.

EDIT

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/nebraska-lt-gov-resigns-abruptly-after-investigation-into

More information - Lincoln Journal Star -

EDIT

He said he has accepted the resignation, effectively immediately, and will begin looking for Sheehy's replacement Monday.

The governor said he doubts Sheehy will continue his candidacy for governor and Heineman said he could not support him under the circumstances.

Heineman said he was deeply disappointed.

"I've got a knot in my stomach. He's done a lot of great things for the state but that trust was broken and he's resigned."

EDIT

http://journalstar.com/news/local/lt-gov-rick-sheehy-resigns/article_2b2d8b6d-d4c0-5054-9d70-1600856dbc7f.html

14 replies, 1458 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to hatrack (Original post)

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 11:50 AM

1. He must be one of those family values/cut government spending Republicans.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 11:53 AM

2. What's an "improper call?"

--imm

Reply to this post

Response to immoderate (Reply #2)

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 11:54 AM

4. On a state phone? Something not related to state business or the duties of being a lieutenant

governor, I'm guessing.

Reply to this post

Response to immoderate (Reply #2)

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 02:57 PM

11. "2,000 late-night telephone calls to the women on his state-issued cell phone"

Lt. Gov. Rick Sheehy resigned his post abruptly Saturday after questions were raised by The World-Herald about improper cell phone calls to four women, other than his wife, during the past four years.

An investigation by The World-Herald discovered that Sheehy made about 2,000 late-night telephone calls to the women on his state-issued cell phone, many of them long conversations held in the wee hours of the night.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 11:54 AM

3. I can't even find articles in the OWH about its "investigation" -- it looks like they went to the

lt. gov. with the goods and started asking questions, and that was enough to get him to go. Very interesting!

Reply to this post

Response to Brickbat (Reply #3)

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 12:13 PM

6. Omaha World Herald is a total right wing paper--wonder if

this guy "needed" to be ruined so that someone else in the Repub party could have a clear shot at the governor's office.

Reply to this post

Response to Brickbat (Reply #3)

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 02:56 PM

10. here's one...

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130202/NEWS/130209951/1685#lt-gov-rick-sheehy-issues-resignation

Lt. Gov. Rick Sheehy resigned his post abruptly Saturday after questions were raised by The World-Herald about improper cell phone calls to four women, other than his wife, during the past four years.

An investigation by The World-Herald discovered that Sheehy made about 2,000 late-night telephone calls to the women on his state-issued cell phone, many of them long conversations held in the wee hours of the night.

READ: Lt. Gov. Rick Sheehy's resignation letter

Reply to this post

Response to progressoid (Reply #10)

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 02:58 PM

12. Yes, I saw the article about the resignation and the reference to the calls.

What's interesting to me, as a former newspaper editor, is the lack of details on the "investigation," which leads me to believe this story broke as they were investigating.

Reply to this post

Response to Brickbat (Reply #12)

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 03:49 PM

13. I noticed that too.

If this was an investigative piece, it's pretty thin.

I wonder if the OWH was just looking into a tip given to them.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 11:59 AM

5. Judging by content of governor's remarks, it's got to be something extra-martial or sexual

Reading between the lines . . .

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 01:20 PM

7. Repub ethics

another family values guy.

Reply to this post

Response to oldandhappy (Reply #7)

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 01:28 PM

8. Republican "Family Values" has been a total load of horseshit from the git go

The Repubbies drone on about the "values" thing for other people, and then they do their own freaking hypocritical, toe-tapping, bathroom-stall hopping, diaper sex kinky crudola over and over and over, claiming they are somehow 'special' because Jesus allegedly 'forgives' them for being 'special.'

"Republican Family Values" is in reality is a queer hypocritical sickness of the soul

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 01:36 PM

9. There used to exist a saying:

"Political scandals in England are about sex; in America, they're about money." This no longer applies.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 03:51 PM

14. Ah, more "family values" from the GOP

What hypocrites they are.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread