HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Obligatory Pit Bull threa...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 05:39 AM

Obligatory Pit Bull thread.

Seems to be a true story.

America's first war dog, Stubby, served 18 months 'over there' and participated in seventeen battles on the Western Front. He saved his regiment from surprise mustard gas attacks, found and comforted the wounded, and even once caught a German spy by the seat of his pants. Back home his exploits were front page news of every major newspaper.

Stubby was a stray Pit Bull/Terrier mix who appeared at Yale Field in New Haven, Connecticut while a group of soldiers were training, stopping to make friends with soldiers as they drilled. One soldier, Corporal Robert Conroy, developed a fondness for the dog. When it became time for the outfit to ship out, Conroy hid Stubby on board the troop ship.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergeant_Stubby

Another great read on Stubby. http://www.badassoftheweek.com/sgtstubby.html

"The noise and strain that shattered the nerves of many of his comrades did not impair Stubby's spirits. Not because he was unconscious of danger. His angry howl while a battle raged and his mad canter from one part of the lines to another indicated realization."

- New York Times Obituary

Sergeant Stubby was a stray, homeless mutt who saved more lives, saw more combat, and performed more badass feats of heroic awesomeness than most people could ever hope to accomplish even WITH the advantage of prehensile thumbs and the ability to utilize 100 percent of their brain power without exploding into a burst of ball lightning.

The American version of Voytek the Soldier Bear, this fearless, ass-destroyingly ferocious Pit Bull Terrier started his humble life as most stray animals do hungry, cold, alone, and stranded in the town of New Haven, Connecticut. Living garbage can to garbage can without so much as a doghouse roof over his head, one day this poor dejected little canine happened to stumble onto the parade ground on the campus of Yale University, where it just so happened that the men of the 102nd Regiment, 26th Infantry Division were training for their eventual deployment to fight in World War I. The so-pathetic-it's-adorable little dog-creature was taken in by a soldier named John Robert Conroy, who named the pup "Stubby" on account of the thing's little stumpy gimp tail (or maybe this is a common trait of pit bull terriers, I have no idea). Conroy started leaving food out and let the little guy sleep in the barracks from time to time, and before long pretty much every dude in the 102nd thought this thing was omg totez adorbs, etc. The dog, for its part, was also like insane-as-hell smart, and I don't mean like, "Oh hey that dog thinks he's people because he sits in an armchair and licks beer coozies" stuff, but more like, "Holy crap balls Lassie's trying to tell us that Little Timmy fell down a well and is being slowly digested by a thousand rabid snakes sent forth from a rift in the Hellmouth," smart. After just a few weeks of hanging around the drill field, watching the soldiers do their thing, this friggin' dog/Battle-Cat hybrid learned the damn bugle calls, could execute the marching maneuvers with the men, and was I shit you not trained to salute superior officers by raising his forepaw to his brow in what I can only imagine was a sight so cripplingly adorable that nowadays it would be an obnoxious, long-running Internet meme on one of these I Can Has Catburger websites.

Private Stubby had free reign to drink out of any toilet bowl on the Yale campus during training, and when the order came down for the 102nd to ship out to battle Conroy just stuffed the dog into his greatcoat and smuggled him on board a ship bound for France. Once the transport was under way, Conroy brought the dog out onto the deck, and all the sailors all decided this dog was so totally flippin' sweet that they had a machinists' mate make him a set of dog tags to match the ones worn by the soldiers. When Conroy got a little sloppy and his weirdo covert dog smuggling operation was discovered commanding officer, Conroy gave the order to, "Present Arms," the goddamned dog saluted the commander. The officer was like "WTF ever" and from that point on Stubby was officially allowed to follow Yankee Division out to the battlefront.

Much more at the above link.

17 replies, 1042 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Whovian (Original post)

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 05:42 AM

1. Well done, Sgt. Stubby!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 05:48 AM

2. Thanks, this was so good to read this morning

Good dog, good dog.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 07:30 AM

3. A good dog with a good owner... n/t

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 07:41 AM

4. I used to be terrified of Pitt Bulls, until my nephew rescued two amazing dogs

One quite literally rescued from the side of a road, days away from death. Now both rescues are two the happiest, healthiest and friendliest dogs I've ever seen.

Reply to this post

Response to Siwsan (Reply #4)

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 08:38 AM

5. two the happiest, healthiest and friendliest dogs I've ever seen.

Depends a lot on how they are treated. But like Chows, they can be easily taught to be aggressive. So much depends on treatment!

Reply to this post

Response to AlbertCat (Reply #5)

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 09:08 AM

6. My brother used to have a rottweiler mix, rescued from a drug house

Boska was hours away from being euthanized when she was rescued. Considering her background, I was VERY worried but she also turned out to be a very sweet and loving dog. Sometimes dogs, like people, can overcome some pretty horrific backgrounds. But, it's a risk, that's for sure.

Reply to this post

Response to AlbertCat (Reply #5)

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 09:18 AM

7. They always blame the wrong end of the leash for any breed being aggressive. The most gentle dog I

ever owned was a Rottweiler. Even Pit Bulls trained to fight and bait dogs can make good pets if treated right. Here is a great organization devoted to saving Pits.

http://www.vrcpitbull.net/dog/

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 09:30 AM

8. Villalobos has started a service dog program for rescued Pit Bulls

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 09:48 AM

9. too bad but most people are afraid of pit bulls.

We had a renter next door who cruelly kept two pit bulls caged up in the basement. When he started walking them on leashes in the neighborhood they'd freak out at other dogs and so their owners became terrified. So they put the pit bulls in a fenced area in the back yard. When someone bought the house they had a helluva time cleaning up dog feces in the basement. She got a great price on the house, but I sure wouldn't want to have to do that.

It was clearly the fault of the pit bulls' owner that those poor dogs were so unmanageable...

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 10:42 AM

10. K&R

What a smart boy!

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 10:50 AM

11. Pits and pit mixes are generally much more intelligent that other dogs,

It is scary how intelligent some of them are, and a real pain as well when you want to keep them out of food or such. They routinely figure out how to open a fridge, or use a door knob.

My first pit I had trained to walk on first voice command, then hand signals. He was a super smart, wonderful dog.

Reply to this post

Response to MadHound (Reply #11)

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 03:08 PM

12. I feel this might be true of most dogs

when given love and attention.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 07:10 PM

13. His story would make an awesome movie

-thanks for this story. I have lived with many animals, and have come across amazingly intelligent ones. Like people. all animals are individuals. I treat animals as if they are intelligent, and am often surprised at their response.

Reply to this post

Response to felix_numinous (Reply #13)

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 07:13 PM

14. It really would.

I just watched the WWI movie by Spielberg WarHorse and this would be fantastic in the genre.

Reply to this post

Response to Whovian (Reply #14)

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 07:19 PM

15. It they can't find a dog to play the part

they could do it with CGI, but a real dog would rock.

Reply to this post

Sat Feb 2, 2013, 07:30 PM

16. thank you so much for this

I love his story. This part left me laughing and crying:

"... it eventually became tradition to bring Stubby out on the field during Halftime of football games and he'd pump the crowd up by running around the field pushing the ball around with his nose. Nobody had really done anything like this before, meaning that in a weird-as-hell Forrest Gump-like twist, Sergeant Stubby might have possibly invented the Halftime Show. Seriously."

Reply to this post

Response to magical thyme (Reply #16)

Sun Feb 3, 2013, 08:37 AM

17. I'm there with you on this.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread