HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Ikea monkey to stay at sa...

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 03:33 PM

Ikea monkey to stay at sanctuary, judge rules

Darwin the monkey first vaulted to fame when he was photographed running loose in the parking lot of a Toronto Ikea store in December. Darwin the monkey first vaulted to fame when he was photographed running loose in the parking lot of a Toronto Ikea store in December. (Canadian Press)

Darwin the Ikea monkey will stay at a primate sanctuary for at least the next few months after the woman who describes herself as his mom lost a bid to get him back.

Yasmin Nakhuda went to court to try to get the monkey back after he escaped from her car and was found wandering in an Ikea parking lot in December dressed in a shearling coat.

Ontario Superior Court Judge Michael Brown ruled Friday that Nakhuda cannot get Darwin back on a temporary basis until her case can be fully heard at a trial.

"I do not believe that any irreparable harm will occur to the plaintiff and her bond with Darwin or Darwin himself, so long as an early trial date can be set," Brown said. The case is being expedited and is expected to come to trial by May.

full: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2013/02/01/toronto-ikea-monkey-ruling.html

6 replies, 920 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Ikea monkey to stay at sanctuary, judge rules (Original post)
alp227 Feb 2013 OP
Politicalboi Feb 2013 #1
La Lioness Priyanka Feb 2013 #2
Scootaloo Feb 2013 #4
La Lioness Priyanka Feb 2013 #5
Scootaloo Feb 2013 #6
cvsgracht Feb 2013 #3

Response to alp227 (Original post)

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 03:37 PM

1. This monkey might not want to go back

To the human owner if it stayed at a sanctuary. It may change his attitude towards humans. He could be dangerous if that were to happen. I am just giving my opinion, I have no idea if this will change the monkey. If I were the monkey, I would rather stay with my own.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Politicalboi (Reply #1)

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 03:55 PM

2. monkeys are pretty terrible pets as is

Reply to this post

Response to La Lioness Priyanka (Reply #2)

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 04:30 PM

4. Pets that are smarter than their owners are always high-risk

That monkey might not be able to write Shakespeare, but I guarantee you he spends more time thinking than most people I know.

Reply to this post

Response to Scootaloo (Reply #4)

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 05:38 PM

5. monkeys are in no way as intelligent as humans, but they are intelligent enough

to be a real pain in the ass especially since they are not really meant to live with humans. they have their own societal structures that are not compatible to being a pet.

Reply to this post

Response to La Lioness Priyanka (Reply #5)

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 05:39 PM

6. I've met enough humans to argue your point

Intelligence doesn't count if you don't bother using it.

Reply to this post

Response to alp227 (Original post)

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 04:04 PM

3. Monkey

Only in Canada...or Florida.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread