HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Republicans consider fili...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 12:49 PM

Republicans consider filibuster of Hagel --No scandal, no embarassments; just policy differences

The suggestion by republicans that they might filibuster this nomination for defense chief is a disgrace and an outrageous abuse of power by Senate republicans. It's one thing to oppose a nominee; it's one thing to oppose them on policy, on their record, on questionable or criminal incidents in their life. It's quite another thing to hold up the President's nominee for such an important position as Sec of Defense by refusing to allow the nomination to move to a vote. To me, that action should only be considered for something egregious, or some lapse in ethics or law.

The president is entitled to his choice to lead the Defense Dept.. Republicans are NEVER going to get a nominee from President Obama that they agree with on policy. It isn't going to happen because they go to such extremes to differ with this president and this administration. Those differences are NOT enough reason to hold his nominee in limbo. Republicans need to stop playing games with the confirmation process and allow the full Senate to vote on Hagel.

NOTHING they've come up with rises to the level at which it would be acceptable to stand in the way of a vote. Their hamstringing of this nominee is as corrupt as it is disreputable. If the tables were turned, they'd be hollering about treason. If they only want to advance nominees which agree with them, they first need to gain the presidency.

16 replies, 1238 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to bigtree (Original post)

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 12:50 PM

1. Bet Harry Reid's glad he took a powder on filibuster reform now, eh?

n/t

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to villager (Reply #1)

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 12:55 PM

4. you've got the wrong guy to complain about Harry Reid and filibusters.

I've seen myriads of republican bills which intended to roil issues like abortion, nuclear issues, and other Democratic initiatives effectively blocked by every Senate rule our Democratic majority could muster. I think we'd be loath to strip the Senate bare of those defenses; especially with all the talk this month about the danger of a republican takeover due to the number of exiting Democrats and open seats. I think Reid knows better than I do where his defenses lie and what he needs to hold off present and future republican dangerousness and opportunism.

Reply to this post

Response to bigtree (Reply #4)

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 12:57 PM

5. +1 n/t

Reply to this post

Response to bigtree (Reply #4)

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 01:06 PM

7. Your supposition hilariously supposes the Democrats would actually use a filibuster to slow

..a Republican majority, should that happen.

It also hilariously supposes the GOP just wouldn't take that option away from the Democrats, next time, when they wanted to "roll...."

Reply to this post

Response to villager (Reply #7)

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 01:21 PM

10. like I said, I've lived this

. . . my view of Congress isn't limited to a few years of reading posts on DU. Over the years, under various republican majorities, many of the SAME Democrats in office right now (including quite a few with THIS majority leader), filibuster rules have been used to thwart republican excesses and outrages.

And by the way, critics here of both the President and our Democratic Congress have been made to eat their words more than once in recent history over their cynical charges of ineptitude or corruptness.

Reply to this post

Response to bigtree (Reply #10)

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 01:39 PM

11. Neither is mine. And I can remember when both parties behaved differently in Congress.

But you are free to keep giving those Republicans the benefits of all doubts.

Reply to this post

Response to villager (Reply #11)

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 01:53 PM

12. "giving those Republicans the benefits of all doubts?"

. . . I'm out.

Reply to this post

Response to bigtree (Reply #12)

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 02:09 PM

14. In supposing they will act in a "rules"-adhering way, sure

Bye!

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 12:52 PM

2. In a way, I hope they do.

Just to throw shit in the face of Harry Reid and those Democrats that were against filibuster reform.

Reply to this post

Response to kentuck (Reply #2)

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 02:21 PM

15. "throw shit in the face of Harry Reid and those Democrats . . ."

I can't say enough about how wrongheaded this is . . . so I'll just leave it at that.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 12:53 PM

3. They have to stop him this way--he came through the hearing unscathed.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 12:58 PM

6. Chickenhawks (R) Vs. Honorable Americans

Chickenhawk Republicans once again display their disdain for America's honorable veterans.

...And they wonder why Americans no longer respect them and their degenerate political party.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 01:08 PM

8. Well, gee, if we don't need a SoD, then we don't need a military or any of the weapons programs.

What a cost savings that would be.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 01:10 PM

9. Obstruction. The only role left to republicans in our socity...

Hopefully history will not be kind to them.

Reply to this post

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 01:53 PM

13. and the republican voters of Nebraska learn a lesson

no one can't be thrown under the bus by the current GOP. Not even your former Republican senator with two purple hearts. It is truly amazing how much they hate not only Democrats but each other. Do these people like anyone or do they just love $?

Reply to this post

Response to Johonny (Reply #13)

Fri Feb 1, 2013, 02:25 PM

16. they really have narrowed their appeal to the neanderthals out there

. . .and that's reflected in this last election where they held onto their 'base' and lost the majority of demographic groups; most by wide margins. They look determined to keep all of that in place.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread