HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Stop frog dissections in ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 12:09 AM

Stop frog dissections in schools!

Frog dissections are unethical and unnecessary. Furthermore, they are contributing to the depletion of wild frog populations and the spread of harmful invasive species and infectious diseases. As excellent alternatives exist, SAVE THE FROGS! highly recommends that schools switch to virtual dissection software such as the Digital Frog 2.5. We invite all students and teachers to assist worldwide amphibian conservation efforts by participating in our Race To Stop Dissections Contest.

Our goal is to have frog dissections out of every public school in the USA by 2014. That is not a lot of time, considering the huge number of schools that currently dissect. With your help though, we can achieve our goal! In 2011, we want 200 USA public schools to abandon their dissection programs: help us make it happen!

http://www.savethefrogs.com/actions/dissections/index.html

It's unethical and dehumanizing. It's bad education, we need good education, teaching empathy and respect and compassion towards all life.

6 replies, 896 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Stop frog dissections in schools! (Original post)
tama Jan 2013 OP
liberal_at_heart Jan 2013 #1
tama Jan 2013 #3
kwolf68 Jan 2013 #5
tama Jan 2013 #6
frazzled Jan 2013 #2
tama Jan 2013 #4

Response to tama (Original post)

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 12:15 AM

1. it has it's good points and bad points

My daughter who will be going to college to become a veterinarian is in an after school biology club. They extract DNA from their own saliva and cheek cells. They also dissect animal parts such as a squid eyeball. Tomorrow they are dissecting a cow heart. I'm not sure it's necessary for all students to dissect an actual animal. So for the vast majority of students dissecting a virtual animal might be good enough. But for students like my daughter learning those kinds of skills are important.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to liberal_at_heart (Reply #1)

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 01:33 AM

3. Medical professions and surgery

are another thing from forcing all students to participate in unnecessary cruelty, and education into those professions is another issue.

But in general, we need to move on from teaching unnecessary cruelty to teaching compassion and altruism:
http://www.democraticunderground.com/122815044

Reply to this post

Response to tama (Reply #3)

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 01:55 AM

5. As a B.S. Biology, M.S. in Environmental Science....

I agree with your statement.

Dissection further treats these animals as pieces of trash you just cut up, mock and joke about and then toss into the waste bin. How much REAL learning actually takes place?

I received my B.S. in Biology and in Animal Biology it was required to do this dissection...I hated it so much...got a 10 out of 25 on the exam. Shocker I got a B+ in the class. But AT LEAST we were Biology majors and everyone took the class seriously.

I was going to do chordate anatomy class until I found out they were dissecting a cat, shark and some other type of fish.

Reply to this post

Response to kwolf68 (Reply #5)

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 02:17 AM

6. Sadly

Much of the education system has been on purpose about turning people into clogs of the machine, obedient and insensitive parts of violent authoritarian hierarchy.

Reply to this post

Response to tama (Original post)

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 12:15 AM

2. Where were you when I was in 9th grade biology

in 1964? That was so gross. But Mr. Van Sickle, our teacher, did have us over for a party at his house at the end of the year, and we churned ice cream, in a wood-slat bucket with rock salt. (This was before electric ice cream makers, and possibly before electricity.) Why do I remember that?

Must be the mention of the frog. Kind of like Proust's madeleine. Brings it all back, Gregor Mendel and all.

Reply to this post

Response to frazzled (Reply #2)

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 01:38 AM

4. I was born in 1965

and what I know of America comes mostly from movies and TV. The frog ritual has always seemed very odd and disgusting, we didn't have anything like that in our schools. I don't know how common it is around the world, from the link in OP I learned that India stopped doing that and Ukraina is stopping.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread