HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Why was Jon Stewart obses...

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 12:00 AM

Why was Jon Stewart obsessing about Al Gore selling Current to al-Jazeera tonight?

He claimed it's because al-Jazeera operates out of Qatar, a "fossil-fuel-based economy." But that doesn't make sense, as the United States itself is a country with a fossil-fuel-based economy. So is Britain. So is Japan. So are a bilgehold of other countries.

So, what's the real reason that Mr Stewart was upset? Personally, I haven't a bloody clue!

32 replies, 2147 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 32 replies Author Time Post
Reply Why was Jon Stewart obsessing about Al Gore selling Current to al-Jazeera tonight? (Original post)
Ian Iam Jan 2013 OP
Enrique Jan 2013 #1
Ian Iam Jan 2013 #7
elleng Jan 2013 #2
Whisp Jan 2013 #3
B Calm Jan 2013 #4
TeamPooka Jan 2013 #23
Puzzledtraveller Jan 2013 #28
Archaic Jan 2013 #5
Renew Deal Jan 2013 #6
Ian Iam Jan 2013 #9
dballance Jan 2013 #8
DonCoquixote Jan 2013 #10
ananda Jan 2013 #17
DonCoquixote Jan 2013 #20
TexasBushwhacker Jan 2013 #11
xfundy Jan 2013 #12
Behind the Aegis Jan 2013 #13
white_wolf Jan 2013 #22
Behind the Aegis Jan 2013 #25
white_wolf Jan 2013 #26
Behind the Aegis Jan 2013 #27
JHB Jan 2013 #14
muriel_volestrangler Jan 2013 #15
NoMoreWarNow Jan 2013 #19
underpants Jan 2013 #16
NoMoreWarNow Jan 2013 #18
DonCoquixote Jan 2013 #21
Uncle Joe Jan 2013 #31
grantcart Jan 2013 #24
War Horse Jan 2013 #29
OldDem2012 Jan 2013 #30
Uncle Joe Jan 2013 #32

Response to Ian Iam (Original post)

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 12:03 AM

1. was it funny?

i don't imagine it would be, but i didn't see it.

by the way, one of their funniest segments did involve al Jazeera, with Samantha Bee advising them how to appeal to American audiences. That was several years ago.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Enrique (Reply #1)

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 12:27 AM

7. No

Merely baffling.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 12:05 AM

2. Don't know about Jon Stewart,

but I've seen the same complaint from DUers. (Not from me, but from others.)

Reply to this post

Response to elleng (Reply #2)

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 12:08 AM

3. I heard Gore interviewed on some morning show a couple days ago, and same thing.

which makes no sense at all.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 12:16 AM

4. Repeating right wing talking

points would be my guess. . .

Heard it elsewhere too, and my thoughts was the same as yours.

Reply to this post

Response to B Calm (Reply #4)

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 02:19 PM

23. liberals, not the right wing have complained about this issue. The right wing loves oil money

so much so they let it fund Fox News.

Reply to this post

Response to TeamPooka (Reply #23)

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 02:36 PM

28. Exactly, and rightly so.

We need to stand for our principles and ideals, not personalities.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 12:17 AM

5. Letterman beat Gore up over that too.

So you have a book, that's awesome.

Now, I'm going to repeat a bunch of bullshit that no other person has to deal with in a sale of a firm. All other businesses are held to the expectation of profiting for their shareholders. You sir, should not sell to anybody that isn't as green as you are.

Yes, there's a ton of progressive organizations with huge bags of money, just aching to buy a TV network that they have to get permission to show on non-progressive owned cable/dish outlets.

It was really aggravating.

Maybe this is his way of showing he's hard on both sides. Like when he had Jeremy Scahill on, dropped his book on the floor, and just went on with the interview.

Maybe he was pressured by the management about talking up a competing network. One that doesn't run commercials.

Sorry if that sounds really grumpy, but I'd purposely recorded both Letterman and the Daily Show, just to see what VP Gore had to say. So it wrecked my mood.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 12:18 AM

6. Pretty much everyone is obsessing about that

Letterman was too

Reply to this post

Response to Renew Deal (Reply #6)

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 01:29 AM

9. But why?

That's what utterly confounds me.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 01:07 AM

8. Interesting. Has Anyone Else Here Noticed that Some of the Best Reporting Linked to....

from this site is often Al-Jazeera or The Guardian? They seem, in my opinion, to still be doing journalism unlike so many of the corporate owned media outlets in the US.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 01:37 AM

10. Al Gore did much more

Than any other progressive to actually get a media presence. There is a reason the real left got a chance to speak on the TV, and it had nothing to do with Arianna Huffington, Bill Gates or Jon Stewart. Keith O was great, but then he had an ego trip because a company that was cash poor did not give him lots of perks along with a million dollar salary!

Al Gore still cannot buy respect from us, and we wonder why this country has gone to shit!

Reply to this post

Response to DonCoquixote (Reply #10)

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 08:05 AM

17. Al Gore is a very flawed person with good messages.

My view is: don't shoot the messenger.

However, Gore's house and the sale of Current to Al-Jazeera are very troubling.

Reply to this post

Response to ananda (Reply #17)

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 02:15 PM

20. not as much

Truth be told, if anybody was going to get current's slot, I would root for al-jaz. Simply put, they are the only ones who have the muscle to actually put forth views that were not approved by Wallstreet or Washington. I would prefer Current because they have a more independent view,not beholden to any party or even country. I would love it if they were to hire some of the people, like Keith, Jennifer or Cenk.

Of course,, if Al_jaz starts showing crap like "Protocol of the Elders of Zion" their cred will go down the tubes quicker than a Taco Bell burrito through the bowels.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 01:43 AM

11. I think he was just playing devil's advocate

I know that Al wouldn't say this, but he was only a 20% owner of Current. If his partners wanted to sell to baby eating Satanists, Al wouldn't have been able to stop them. But it doesn't really matter because the US is going to be the TOP oil producer within 5 years. We already kick Qatar's butt many times over. It's just that we think of Qatar as running on "dirty fossil fuels" because that's their sole industry. When you have sand and oil, you have to sell what people are going to buy.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 01:50 AM

12. Stewart is antisemitic?

I don't know, guess I'll have to wait till I can see the episode. But I'd bet the antisemitic charge sticks! I bet he hates BabyJesus™ too!

Reply to this post

Response to xfundy (Reply #12)

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 01:59 AM

13. That doesn't even make sense.

Al Gore isn't Jewish last time I checked.

Reply to this post

Response to Behind the Aegis (Reply #13)

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 02:18 PM

22. Whereas Jon Stewart IS Jewish.

So it really does make no sense.

Reply to this post

Response to white_wolf (Reply #22)

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 02:29 PM

25. No, it doesn't.

How is his being Jewish make him anti-Semitic. Your post is as confused and muddled as the person to whom I responded. Why would Stewart be anti-Semitic?!

Reply to this post

Response to Behind the Aegis (Reply #25)

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 02:33 PM

26. No, you misread or misunderstood my post.

I'm saying Jon Stewart can't be anti-Semitic because he is Jewish himself. I was actually agreeing with you.

Reply to this post

Response to white_wolf (Reply #26)

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 02:35 PM

27. Oh, I didn't understand.

But, Stewart can be anti-Semitic, even if he is Jewish. I still don't get x-fundy's post at all.

ETA: Yeah, I missed your word "no" which TOTALLY changes the meaning of your post. My apologies!

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 06:52 AM

14. Because that's the last headline-level news that involved Gore?

I missed last night's show so I can't speak to that, but when the news was announced he did a bit on the ensuing FOX outrage-fest. Including pointing out that the sale was to Al Jazeera English, which isn't where Osama Bin Laden was sending his tapes, and highlighted the antisemitic and anti-American content of Rotana, which is owned by the same Saudi prince who has a stake in Fox and, reciprocating, in which Rupert Murdoch (owner of Fox) also has a sizable stake.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 07:13 AM

15. It's owned by the Qatari state; it's like him selling Current TV to Exxon

Al-Jazeera's political independence questioned amid Qatar intervention

Al-Jazeera's editorial independence has been called into question after its director of news stepped in to ensure a speech made by Qatar's emir to the UN led its English channel's coverage of the debate on Syrian intervention.

Journalists had produced a package of the UN debate, topped with excerpts of President Obama's speech, last Tuesday when a last-minute instruction came from Salah Negm, the Qatar-based news director, who ordered the video to be re-edited to lead with the comments from Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa al-Thani.
Al-Jazeera English was set up in 2006 by the Arabic broadcaster of the same name and both are owned by the Qatari state. The network, founded in 1996, gained credibility with audiences in the region for its seemingly independent coverage in the post 9/11 period. Its English channel was launched to offer an alternative, non-western-centric worldview.
In September 2011, Wadah Khanfar, a Palestinian widely seen as independent, suddenly left as director-general after eight years in the post and was replaced by a member of the royal family, Sheikh Ahmed bin Jassim al-Thani, a man with no background in journalism.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/sep/30/al-jazeera-independence-questioned-qatar

Doha: a strange place to host a climate-change conference

Holding a climate-change conference in Qatar, the country with the world's highest per capita carbon emissions, might seem like a joke, but the UN isn't renowned for its sense of humour. This year's fraught negotiations on a replacement for the Kyoto protocol are taking place in Doha, the Qatari capital, where they are fuelled by some of the most inefficient, profligate, carbon-spewing power generation in the world.

Qatar makes most of its money – GDP is $170bn (£106bn) a year – from selling oil and gas. It has the world's third -biggest natural gas reserves and is the top supplier of liquefied natural gas, according to the US government's Energy Information Administration.
Campaigners who have travelled to Doha to protest against governments' inaction on global warming, and the snail's pace of the negotiations, have no choice but to use Qatar's climate-killing energy. Even pouring a glass of water involves hurting a polar bear – the water in this desert country comes from desalination plants, and making seawater drinkable is one of the most energy-intensive processes. But water it is, if you want a drink – alcohol is banned, and thirsty delegates were searched at the airport to make sure they didn't smuggle any in.

The Qatari government, even though it volunteered to hold the conference, seems rather bemused by it. Qatar, which will hold the football World Cup in 2022, is trying to develop an international reputation for hosting big events and it seems quite possible that agreeing to hold the UN on climate was purely a reflex action. The government may be regretting it. Abdullah Bin Hamad al-Attiyah, the former Qatari oil minister who is hosting the conference, was ridiculed when he said: "We should not concentrate on the per capita (emissions). We should concentrate on the amount from each country." For climate talks, that is heresy.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/shortcuts/2012/nov/28/doha-strange-place-climate-change-conference

Reply to this post

Response to muriel_volestrangler (Reply #15)

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 08:09 AM

19. well, look at it this way--

those petro dollars are being used to support an opponent of that system. Gore got someone who is opposed to CO2 controls, in theory, to give him lots of money.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 07:22 AM

16. Haven't seen it yet but I can tell you that this is a RW radio talking point

Fox News too - of course

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 08:07 AM

18. because calling Gore a hypocrite is a huge meme that the media loves

even Stewart.

Reply to this post

Response to NoMoreWarNow (Reply #18)

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 02:16 PM

21. BINGO!

While none dare call St.Hillary one.

Reply to this post

Response to NoMoreWarNow (Reply #18)

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 03:17 PM

31. Precisely and people shouldn't forget that Stewart whether funny, likable or not is part

of this.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/101654334

It also begs the question, has our corporate media stopped taking money from the fossil fuel industry for commercials?

The United States is an oil rich nation and Al Jazeera despite the nation it's based in has covered the global warming climate change issue better than the U.S. corporate media.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 02:23 PM

24. To answer your question Stewart and Letterman bash Republicans almost every night

when there is something like this or Congressman Weiner then they are going to jump all over it to show that they are not in the tank for one side.

It is necessary for them to establish a degree of 'street cred' to pick on both sides.

Personally I would like to be able to watch AJ on the cable.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 03:06 PM

29. It was a bit weird to watch

Gore had some pretty good points there, IMO. Sort of seemed like vicarious argumentation by Stewart.

I've been told over and over (and not by RWNJs, by people all across the spectrum) that AJ English and AJ Arabic are really two different channels. Totally different messages. Maybe that's where Stewart was coming from (only speculating here - big time).

From what I've seen of AJ English they get it right about 70-80 % of the time. And that's a helluva lot more often than a bunch of other global networks.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 03:16 PM

30. I think it's because Gore has been such an outspoken critic of burning fossil fuels....

....which contributes to global warming. I think they want to somehow make Gore appear to be hypocritical by selling his network to a media organization based in an oil-producing country.

Personally, I'm not seeing that point of view.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 04:34 PM

32. I believe Jim Lehrer is interviewing Al this evening on the Newshour re: his book "The Future"

It will be interesting to see how that plays out.

Thanks for the thread, Ian Iam.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread