HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » The Wall Street Journal t...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 01:50 PM

The Wall Street Journal tells corporations how to avoid Obamacare.

Fight For 15 ‏@fightfor15

RT @wiscjobsnow: RT @WorkingAmerica: Gross: The Wall Street Journal tells corporations how to avoid #Obamacare.
http://bit.ly/UD6Ppp

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324461604578193472562389926.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

(If the directly above link doesn't work, click the small lin above it, then the link at the destination.)

How big can a company get with just 50 employees? We're about to find out.

Thousands of small businesses across the U.S. are desperately looking for a way to escape their own fiscal cliff. That's because ObamaCare is forcing them to cover their employees' health care or pay a fine—either of which will cut into profits and stymie future investment and growth.

We've already seen many of America's biggest companies respond to the new law by laying off employees, putting them on part-time, or raising prices. But those are short-term solutions. Ultimately, these corporations will have to innovate and restructure to thrive in the era of ObamaCare. If small businesses follow their lead, they may even gain an advantage over their big competitors.

In his 2009 book "The Future Arrived Yesterday," veteran Silicon Valley journalist Michael S. Malone described a new organizational model called a "Protean Corporation." Like a protozoan single-cell organism, the protean corporation has the ability to "shape shift," rapidly adapting to internal and external forces in the market and the company. At the heart of a true protean corporation is a tiny number of core employees surrounded by a large cloud of resources, generally contracted or outsourced talent that does most of the work.

5 replies, 1132 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply The Wall Street Journal tells corporations how to avoid Obamacare. (Original post)
Fire Walk With Me Jan 2013 OP
wilt the stilt Jan 2013 #1
msongs Jan 2013 #3
geek tragedy Jan 2013 #2
unblock Jan 2013 #4
Drale Jan 2013 #5

Response to Fire Walk With Me (Original post)

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 01:54 PM

1. can we just get single payer

and stop all this madness and lower our costs to GDP. The USA is full of morans,

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to wilt the stilt (Reply #1)

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 01:59 PM

3. the democratic party USA Inc does not believe in single payer. good luck with that :-) nt

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 01:57 PM

2. Corporations have already been doing this--it's called permalancing.

Media companies like Viacom are notorious for it.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 02:08 PM

4. i recall reading about the wd-40 company long ago, before even "outsourcing" was a common term --

they were quite literally a household name, and yet they had something like 14 employees at the time.
none of them chemists

basically just a ceo, a cfo, and a dozen contract administrators.

everything of consequence was outsourced.

production, warehousing, shipping, logistics, advertising, sales, everything.

it was a harbinger of things to come as other companies took to the idea of outsourcing more and more.

today, there are more and more laws that companies with under 50 employees escape, so larger companies can split themselves up just for the sake of avoiding that "overhead".

bastards.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 02:09 PM

5. I am so tired of this bullshit

"either of which will cut into profits and stymie future investment and growth." Profits are anything you take home after business costs, which includes investment and growth. We have to get off this crap, if your company makes 1 dollar extra you've made a profit, and you should not be allowed to cut any jobs or anything like that if you've made even a dollar profit.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread