HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » High-tech cargo airship b...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 10:03 AM

High-tech cargo airship being built in California

TUSTIN, Calif. (AP) The massive blimp-like aircraft flies but just barely, hovering only a dozen feet off a military hangar floor during flight testing south of Los Angeles.

Still, the fact that the hulking Aeroscraft could fly for just a few minutes represents a step forward in aviation, according to the engineers who developed it. The Department of Defense and NASA have invested $35 million in the prototype because of its potential to one day carry more cargo than any other aircraft to disaster zones and forward military bases.

"I realized that I put a little dot in the line of aviation history. A little dot for something that has never been demonstrated before, now it's feasible," said flight control engineer Munir Jojo-Verge.

The airship is undergoing testing this month at Marine Corps Air Station in Tustin, and must go through several more rounds of flight testing before it could be used in a disaster zone or anywhere else. The first major flight test took place Jan. 3.

http://news.yahoo.com/high-tech-cargo-airship-being-built-california-100513071--finance.html

2 replies, 478 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply High-tech cargo airship being built in California (Original post)
Sherman A1 Jan 2013 OP
SidDithers Jan 2013 #1
BlueStreak Jan 2013 #2

Response to Sherman A1 (Original post)

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 10:09 AM

1. DU rec...nt

Sid

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Sherman A1 (Original post)

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 10:28 AM

2. Brilliant. Just the thing to carry supplies into the battle zone

How hard do you think it would be to shoot this thing out of the sky? Talk about hitting the broad side of a barn. I don't even shoot and I bet I could hit this thing.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread