HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Wayne's World: Gunman Sho...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 09:40 AM

Wayne's World: Gunman Shoots Bus Driver in Ala., Takes Child as Hostage

A gunman shot and killed a school bus driver in Midland City, Ala., Tuesday afternoon and escaped the scene with a 6-year-old passenger, which has prompted a hostage situation that is still going on this morning.

The suspected gunman is identified as Jimmy Lee Dykes, a 60-something military veteran, a police source told ABC News. Dykes and the child are in an underground bunker behind his home.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/gunman-shoots-bus-driver-ala-takes-child-hostage/story?id=18351373

11 replies, 992 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 11 replies Author Time Post
Reply Wayne's World: Gunman Shoots Bus Driver in Ala., Takes Child as Hostage (Original post)
kpete Jan 2013 OP
ananda Jan 2013 #1
2pooped2pop Jan 2013 #4
riverwalker Jan 2013 #5
2pooped2pop Jan 2013 #7
CBGLuthier Jan 2013 #2
Whiskeytide Jan 2013 #3
riverwalker Jan 2013 #6
TeamPooka Jan 2013 #8
rustydog Jan 2013 #9
Blue_Tires Jan 2013 #10
Aristus Jan 2013 #11

Response to kpete (Original post)

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 09:41 AM

1. This is not going to end well.

Sigh

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to ananda (Reply #1)

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 10:37 AM

4. Didn't he take a particular kid?

I'm going to have to go back and try to find it but I thought I read that the reason he shot the bus driver was because he wouldn't give him the kid. If so, maybe he knows the kid and at least won't harm him?

This is just so bizarre.

On edit, it does not read that he wanted a particular kid, just a hostage, two preferred but only one little guy didn't get away.

This is maddening.

Reply to this post

Response to 2pooped2pop (Reply #4)

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 12:02 PM

5. the child was autistic

and needs medication, the negotiaters had to give it to him through a PVC pipe in the bunker.
I don't know why this is not a bigger story.
The bus driver was a true hero, he died protecting his children from a crazed paranoid prepper.

Reply to this post

Response to riverwalker (Reply #5)

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 02:18 PM

7. OMG

Thanks for the update. I would guess this is not a bigger story because it doesn't help the gun rights cause.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 09:49 AM

2. Maybe he saw the fucking FEMA COFFIN ad that comes in with this post

RW CT garbage. DU sure is making some money from scumbags lately.

Reply to this post

Response to CBGLuthier (Reply #2)

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 10:13 AM

3. Holy crap...

... I just watched enough of that to be freakin' terrified ... that there are people in this country who will send this guy money, buy guns and ammo, MREs, fuel and whatever other snake oil he's selling, and then bunker themselves down to survive the inevitable government zombie apocalypse and stay out of the FEMA mass graves.

I think he actually said "...if a band of marauders invaded your home and mercilessly slaughtered you and your family, would you be able to live with the knowledge that you could have done something about it?" Um, no. Not under those facts.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 12:12 PM

6. "thinks the government’s out to get him. He’s not right in the head"

The kidnapper has been identified as Jimmy Lee Dykes, a 65-year-old military veteran who lives on a rural Private Road 1539 off of U.S. Highway 231. On Tuesday at 3:30 PM, Dykes assaulted a school bus and demanded hostages to hold off the “law coming for him.” He then fatally shot the driver multiple times after he attempted to prevent Dykes from escaping with a child.

The county coroner, Woodrow Hilboldt, said that Dykes had his hostage held in “what has been described to me as an underground bunker. Someplace to get out of the way of a tornado.”

Neighbors described Dykes' behavior as erratic. “It's the craziest thing. He will be outside in his yard digging dirt at 2:30 AM in the morning,” James Davis Jr. said.

“He’s the type that thinks the government’s out to get him. He’s not right in the head,” adds neighbor Michael Creel.

http://www.policymic.com/mobile/articles/24468/jimmy-lee-dykes-hostage-situation-live-military-veteran-holds-child-hostage-in-bunker-after-shooting-school-bus-driver

Creel said he had attempted to stop Dykes.

“He’s 67 years old, so I figured I could catch him,” he said. “Apparently he didn’t go through the field like I thought. He’s got a four-foot-wide, about six-foot-long, eight-foot-deep homemade bomb shelter. It’s got about three to four feet of sand on top of it. If you didn’t know it was there, you wouldn’t .”

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 02:20 PM

8. I'll bet he owns his guns legally so it's okay right NRA gun nuts?

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 02:22 PM

9. If there is a God, please let this child survive the ordeal

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 04:30 PM

10. Is he a pederast, or just batshit insane??

Reply to this post

Response to Blue_Tires (Reply #10)

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 04:33 PM

11. There's a difference?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread