HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Max Baucus Again Helps Ki...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 09:21 PM

Max Baucus Again Helps Kill Filibuster Reform -LeftInTheWest

Max Baucus Again Helps Kill Filibuster Reform
by: Bob Brigham - LeftInThe West
Thu Jan 24, 2013 at 12:57:12 PM MST

<snip>

Unlike Senator Jon Tester, who was a loud and proud co-sponsor of filibuster reform, Max Baucus helped kill the measure behind closed doors, resulting in the fake "reform" that won't fix the broken United States senate.

This is not just a major blow to functioning government, it is a major blow to accountability.
The filibuster has been a loophole corporate senators like Baucus have used to tell naive constituents that they are on their side, all the while letting savvy lobbyists know that they are with them. Shady senators don't want to be held to account, and nowhere was this more evident than in the debate over filibuster reform:

At Tuesday's closed-door caucus meeting, Merkley was upbraided by Reid for breaking unspoken Senate rules and naming specific senators in a conference call with Democratic activists last week, according to sources familiar with the exchange.

Not only do some senators not want to be held to account in the senate, they don't even want to be named as killing senate reform behind closed. And who was named by the sponsor of reform as being one of the problem votes preventing filibuster reform? Max Baucus, of course.

Not only does Senator Baucus not want you to know he again helped kill reform, he doesn't use the filibuster himself. There have been all kinds of opportunities for him to stand up to incredibly awful ideas, like DOMA & Iraq & the Patriot Act & REAL ID & the bailouts & Bush judges. But not only did he not filibuster, he voted in favor of all of those.

Link: http://www.leftinthewest.com/diary/4806/max-baucus-again-helps-kill-filibuster-reform

17 replies, 1204 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to WillyT (Original post)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 09:29 PM

1. This is one of the reasons for the fall of the republic....

Bitter and petty bullshit partisan posturing freezing the ability of the Senate to move on anything important makes it real easy for the executive to act to keep the country going...

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 09:31 PM

2. I disagree...

Baucus has never hidden his opposition to filibuster reform. I always did my lobbying based on the assumption that he'd never be in favor.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 09:34 PM

3. Baucus was a major reason that the ACA was suboptimal.

He either was played expertly by Grassley and the GOP as they slow walked the lgislation or he was complicit in watering down the final bill. At the time I thought he was a fool rather than an accomplice. With this latest information, I cannot be as sure.

Reply to this post

Response to chieftain (Reply #3)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 09:38 PM

4. This Is What Kills Me... The Guy That We Wanted... The Guy Telling The The Truth...

At Tuesday's closed-door caucus meeting, Merkley was upbraided by Reid for breaking unspoken Senate rules and naming specific senators in a conference call with Democratic activists last week, according to sources familiar with the exchange.

From OP.

Reply to this post

Response to WillyT (Reply #4)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 09:43 PM

5. Senate Tradition trumps the public good once again.

Some of our leaders make it hard to keep faith in the Democratic Party.

Reply to this post

Response to chieftain (Reply #5)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 09:45 PM

6. Or In Democracy Itself...

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 09:45 PM

7. Baucus has always struck me as bought. Harry Reid knows how they're all bought, and

by whom, and works around it. Merkley was too naive to understand that certain things stay hidden from the voting public.

Reply to this post

Response to TwilightGardener (Reply #7)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 09:57 PM

8. Merkely's NOT The Only One...

Democracy... HAH !!!

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 10:03 PM

9. Buy-Partisanship

Greenbacks, baby, make Washington go round.

Reply to this post

Response to Octafish (Reply #9)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 10:22 PM

11. What Ever You Do... Do NOT Look At This...

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 10:12 PM

10. Senate Democrats see advantage to letting Republicans obstruct.

As you said, they can tell their constituents that it wasnt their fault. The nasty Republicans are to blame. They can also tell their "owners" that they didnt pass any legislation that would hurt them.

I dont think Sen Merkley is naive but striking out against the corporatist Democrats.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 10:52 PM

12. Where is POTUS in all this?

Why hasn't President Obama made filibuster reform his number one goal?

Now, with this new bullshit "filibuster reform" Obama won't get ANY significant legislation passed by the Senate, because there will NEVER be the 60 votes required

As Bernie Sanders points out in
"Bernie Sanders On Why He Voted No For Filibuster reform"

"When Lyndon Johnson was Senate Majority Leader, he filed cloture only once.
Majority Leader Harry Reid has filed cloture 390 times."
http://www.democraticunderground.com/10022273458/

Does Max Baucus carry more weight than President Obama?

Reply to this post

Response to red dog 1 (Reply #12)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 11:01 PM

15. because it would have backfired

The Congress is very protective of its right to set its rules. Our only shot was to have him stay out.

Reply to this post

Response to dsc (Reply #15)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 11:21 PM

16. How do you know "It would have backfired"?

Last edited Wed Jan 30, 2013, 04:34 PM - Edit history (1)

"Our only shot was to have him stay out"?

I understand the principle of "Separation Of Powers", and Congress does have the "right to set it's own rules";
However, in THIS case, some behind-the-scenes discussions between the White House and Democratic leaders in the Senate BEFORE any voting on a possible return to the "Talking Filibuster" may well have resulted in a better outcome.

Obama sometimes needs to be more forceful, like LBJ was, and who never would have let something like this happen, (and God knows I"m no fan of LBJ, who could have ended the Vietnam War in 1963, and prevented the deaths of more than 50,000 brave American soldiers)

As a result of this "compromise" with Senate Repugs, President Obama is now truly a Lame Duck

As far as I'm concerned, it HAS backfired!

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 10:53 PM

13. Dont look so surprised! he killed the only jobs bill we had when had all three branches of gov!

Yep, he was one of four dems there too....mark warner and ben nelson were the others....can't remember the fourth off hand...

some dems need primaries. but you have to be able to admit it first.

Reply to this post

Response to SugarShack (Reply #13)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 10:57 PM

14. And... The Public Option, If I Remember Correctly...

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 09:10 AM

17. The senior Senator from Montana has been screwing the Party and the American People

for over 3 decades. So perhaps someone can explain why the DSCC and the DNC have continued to support his candidacy for over 30 years.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread