HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » This is being heavily pos...

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 04:01 PM

This is being heavily posted today around a few of the forums that most DU folks

wouldn't bother to read. I read everything. The comments in response to it have been about 80 percent positive.

My question, after you listen to the short speech.

Are the Republicans starting to lean more towards Democrat thinking or have Democrats changed and no longer believe the things said in this speech? Or are we maybe starting to find some common ground with the American people proving they're more bipartisan than the politicians representing them?

Please take the few minutes to listen to it before you alert on me for it being something that hurt your feelings because you don't agree with what's being said.

16 replies, 1273 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 16 replies Author Time Post
Reply This is being heavily posted today around a few of the forums that most DU folks (Original post)
DogPawsBiscuitsNGrav Jan 2013 OP
JaneyVee Jan 2013 #1
DogPawsBiscuitsNGrav Jan 2013 #2
JaneyVee Jan 2013 #3
Chathamization Jan 2013 #5
DogPawsBiscuitsNGrav Jan 2013 #6
Chathamization Jan 2013 #12
DogPawsBiscuitsNGrav Jan 2013 #13
alcibiades_mystery Jan 2013 #4
kestrel91316 Jan 2013 #7
DogPawsBiscuitsNGrav Jan 2013 #8
alcibiades_mystery Jan 2013 #10
HangOnKids Jan 2013 #11
Earth_First Jan 2013 #9
DogPawsBiscuitsNGrav Jan 2013 #15
Honeycombe8 Jan 2013 #14
DogPawsBiscuitsNGrav Jan 2013 #16

Response to DogPawsBiscuitsNGrav (Original post)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 04:13 PM

1. I doubt you will find a single republican who would endorse this speech. This is the SWP platform.

I endorse this speech 99%. (minus the gun shot)

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to JaneyVee (Reply #1)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 04:46 PM

2. I've found several who love it, which brought me to my question. Maybe we aren't as different as the

media and politicians would like us to believe we are. The freeper website doesn't represent all Republicans just like DU doesn't represent all Democrats. There are a lot of Republicans fed up with the whole thing.

Reply to this post

Response to DogPawsBiscuitsNGrav (Reply #2)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 04:51 PM

3. They can 'love' it but they don't endorse it. Like I'm pro-choice, but I'm not endorsing abortion.

Reply to this post

Response to DogPawsBiscuitsNGrav (Reply #2)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 04:54 PM

5. I was talking to this right-wing guy

about different issues, and we found some many areas we agreed on (the government becoming too obtrusive, the need raise the capital gains tax, the need to stop offshoring, etc.) that he finally got angry and said that I was a conservative who just wouldn't admit it. There is more overlap than we see sometimes.

Reply to this post

Response to Chathamization (Reply #5)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 05:33 PM

6. Thank you for your answer. I'm starting to read and hear the same things. Are we all so brainwashed

into a hive mentality that we can't see that we have a lot of common ground? We treat our politics like sports teams. We cheer our team even when our team's crapping all over us just because it's our team. It seems to me, that if we embraced "the other team" on common ground we might have a better chance of forcing our representatives to actually represent us and our better interests instead of their pocketbooks.

Reply to this post

Response to DogPawsBiscuitsNGrav (Reply #6)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 06:16 PM

12. Definitely a hive mentality on both sides

and that's what makes compromise so hard. For example, I tried to explain to the man I mentioned that perhaps the two sides weren't so different, but that didn't get us anywhere (he was convinced that anyone that cared about freedom and American workers had to be conservative). There's also a lot of false information to deal with - a lot of conservatives I've talked to seem convinced that the deficit is one of our most pressing problems, that we're spending far too much on social services, that there are too many regulations, that global warming is an attempt by the left to curtail the free market, etc.

But yeah, definitely useful to keep an open mind, since people are more likely to hear you out if you don't write them off, and you'll be surprised at where you'll find agreement. I remember one of the most active members of my colleges Food not Bombs group was a Bush supporter. You never know.

Reply to this post

Response to Chathamization (Reply #12)

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 12:04 AM

13. I don't think any of our elected officials from either party care about

freedom or the American workers. They pay us lip service and we hope for change we never get.

On a more local level unions are Americans last hope of ditching poverty wages. I can't understand for the life of me why anyone would vote against giving themselves higher wages and the power to negotiate. Like you said, a lot of false information out there. Not trying to be mean but have you ever noticed that the oldest, most beat up, junker in the parking lot has a Bush sticker on it? You'd think they would have been first in line to back the unions yet they're the biggest obstacle.

As for to many regulations, I'd agree with them there. Small business is being suffocated and we can't all support our families on a 30 hour week Walmart check. My neighbor should be able to sell his goat milk raw if there's a buyer for it. If you're worried about getting sick don't buy it, and don't take away anyone else's right to.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm willing to compromise. At the end of the day everyone just wants to feed their family and sleep in a warm bed. You give a little, you get a little. You give nothing, you get nothing.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 04:53 PM

4. "Are the Republicans starting to lean more towards Democrat thinking..."

Oooftah.

"Democrat thinking..."

Reply to this post

Response to alcibiades_mystery (Reply #4)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 05:34 PM

7. Oopsie

Reply to this post

Response to alcibiades_mystery (Reply #4)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 05:44 PM

8. Please excuse my grammar error. I like to believe myself to be fluent in English but it still someti

sometimes trips me up, especially when it comes to writing my thoughts. Thank Goodness for spell check.

Reply to this post

Response to DogPawsBiscuitsNGrav (Reply #8)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 06:06 PM

10. Oh, you seem quite fluent

in your particular ideological idiom.

Reply to this post

Response to alcibiades_mystery (Reply #10)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 06:12 PM

11. Thank you!

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 05:46 PM

9. Which forums might those be? The Prepper Forums? The Libertarian Forums? The Alex Jones forums?

Just curious...

Reply to this post

Response to Earth_First (Reply #9)

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 12:41 AM

15. One was a forum where everyone's welcome to believe what ever they want and post what

ever they want. One was a pet forum. And yes,one was a self sustainable green living forum - I guess known here as preppers.

But yes, just so everyone can thumb their nose at me, I admit I read all of the above. I also read veterinary forums, science forums, Pravda and DU.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 12:30 AM

14. I get the message, but I don't relate to camouflaged thug looking guys with weapons.nt

Reply to this post

Response to Honeycombe8 (Reply #14)

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 12:54 AM

16. Thanks for getting what I'm saying. And you're right, that image certainly doesn't help

their case.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread