HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Why do Alaska Legislators...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 02:54 PM

Why do Alaska Legislators Need a Huge Pay Boost When ALEC is writing their Legislation!

Are there already posters from Alaska covering the corporate takeover by ALEC and Conoco Phillips?

I came here to spread the word, we need help in Alaska, and no one seems to care.

They are so brazen it is scary!

Most Alaska state legislators are seeing sizable pay boosts this year through a change quietly approved by a legislative panel in December that transforms their state-paid office allowances into personal income rather than have state accountants manage office spending and check receipts.

That amounts to an extra $16,000 in income a year for state representatives and $20,000 for senators, on top of their base $50,400 salary, for the majority of legislators. During the legislative session, they also get payments for living expenses in Juneau at a current rate of $234 a day.

For a senator, the change in allowance amounts to a nearly 40 percent boost in pay with no accounting for the money.

"The citizens of Alaska didn't know they were giving us a big pay increase," said state Sen. Berta Gardner, D-Anchorage.

Read more here: http://www.adn.com/2013/01/28/2769056/alaska-lawmakers-see-sizeable.html#storylink=cpy

Meanwhile...

Alaska will likely see more legislation from Outside group

ANCHORAGE Among the hundreds of bills that will be introduced into the 28th Legislature over the next two years, it's almost certain that some will be inspired or written by the American Legislative Exchange Council, the secretive legislation mill that combines conservative thought with corporate interests.

That's what happened in the previous Legislature, when ALEC-connected legislators sponsored or supported bills that would end collective bargaining rights for public employees, turn Alaska into a "right-to-work" state, require photo IDs for voters
and remove any "duty to retreat" when using deadly force in a public place.

None of those passed and only one had hearings, but that was before Alaska Republicans achieved one-party rule in the Capitol in the November election.

Read more here: http://www.adn.com/2012/12/22/2732744/alaska-will-likely-see-more-legislation.html#wgt=rcntnews#storylink=cpy

Was this an ALEC tactic?

Alaska Legislator switches party to give Republicans a super majority, Tells Dems to get over it
http://www.democraticunderground.com/10022278781

They are getting so arrogant, they just deny their blatant conflicts of interest...
Sen. Micciche, employed by Conoco Phillips, says he has no conflict of interest
http://www.democraticunderground.com/10022278792

We seriously need help here folks, this is 100 times more corrupt than Wisconsin.

Please Please help us before they loot the entire state!

Sarah Palin actually did the right thing by raising corporate tax in the state, and Parnell's oil buddies probably helped chase her out, he was next in line and completely reversed his position on taxes in favor of his 'former' employer ConocoPhilips.

2 replies, 440 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Why do Alaska Legislators Need a Huge Pay Boost When ALEC is writing their Legislation! (Original post)
Fight2Win Jan 2013 OP
Blue_In_AK Jan 2013 #1
Fight2Win Jan 2013 #2

Response to Fight2Win (Original post)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 03:17 PM

1. Lindsey Holmes is "my" turncoat legislator.

You think I'm not pissed? It's totally criminal what's going on in this state but as long as Seanoco Parnellips is our governor, and ConocoPhillips employees can get themselves elected and placed in plum committee assignments, I don't know what we can do.

First things first ... I will be working to get Lindsey recalled.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Blue_In_AK (Reply #1)

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 01:21 PM

2. Seanoco Parnellips

then sue her ass for stealing Democratic donations!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread