HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » You need more guns....
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 02:20 PM

You need more guns....


Found on the Occupy the NRA Facebook page

13 replies, 999 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 13 replies Author Time Post
Reply You need more guns.... (Original post)
Playinghardball Jan 2013 OP
EarthWindFire Jan 2013 #1
bongbong Jan 2013 #3
EarthWindFire Jan 2013 #5
bongbong Jan 2013 #6
EarthWindFire Jan 2013 #7
bongbong Jan 2013 #13
Lesmoderesstupides Jan 2013 #2
OneTenthofOnePercent Jan 2013 #4
stevenleser Jan 2013 #8
ManiacJoe Jan 2013 #9
stevenleser Jan 2013 #10
OneTenthofOnePercent Jan 2013 #11
stevenleser Jan 2013 #12

Response to Playinghardball (Original post)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 03:13 PM

1. lol

 

funny but not actually comparable.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to EarthWindFire (Reply #1)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 04:35 PM

3. LOL

 

Why aren't they comparable?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to bongbong (Reply #3)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 05:33 PM

5. well

 

If you are drowning then adding more water to the situation has a ZERO percent chance to help,
If you have cancer smoking more cigarettes has a ZERO percent chance to help,
If you are being violently attacked by someone with a firearm, if you also have a firearm then you have more of a chance to stop the attack.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to EarthWindFire (Reply #5)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 05:50 PM

6. Not so in the slightest!

 

> If you are drowning then adding more water to the situation has a ZERO percent chance to help,

Nope. Let's say there was a ladder out of reach, but adding more water allowed you to float higher and reach the ladder.

> If you have cancer smoking more cigarettes has a ZERO percent chance to help,

Nope. The mechanism of cancer & cigarettes is only roughly understood. There could very well be a medical mystery where too much smoking allows some kind of healing feedback mechanism to kick in.

> If you are being violently attacked by someone with a firearm, if you also have a firearm then you have more of a chance to stop the attack.

Since that is probably outweighed by the greater chance you have of being hurt if you own a gun (as per the Harvard study), dubious at best.


Don't worry, Delicate Flowers don't have any valid reasons for their gun-religion, so don't fret about the failure of your arguments.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to bongbong (Reply #6)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 07:10 PM

7. Really

 

Ok first off if you are merely floating you are not drowning because you know how to float. So your point on this means absolutely nothing. If everyone was aware that they can float in a pool of water as long as they do panic then people wouldn't drown. Now if you wanna say that someone left in an ocean or a big lake and could float but eventually just had no strength left, well your argument still doesn't hold water because you will not find this imaginary latter in the middle of an ocean by sply adding water.

Second, your ridiculous statement about cigs can also be applied to the global warming situation, if you believe in the absolutely ridiculous statement that you have made, if you use that same logic then you would also believe that if we just continue to do what we are doing to this planet that a natural miracle will occur to heal this planet so therefore we shouldn't worry about it.

And to finish I clearly stated that if you are ALREADY being violently ATTACKED by a criminal with a firearm that you would have a better chance in self defense if you had a similar weapon to defend yourself.

Now I know you "delicate flowers" (as you have said) will come up with any RIDICULOUS statements to try and prove a point even though it is completely false, kind of like your outrageous comments. LMAO

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to EarthWindFire (Reply #7)

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 03:49 PM

13. LOL

 

> k first off if you are merely floating you are not drowning because you know how to float. So your point on this means absolutely nothing.

Wrong, Delicate Flower. You might be getting tired, and you would die, but more water saved you. Obvious.

> Second, your ridiculous statement about cigs can also be applied to the global warming situation

We're not talking about global warming. Obvious attempt at diversion, normal for gun nutz.

You're batting .0000. Don't worry, gun nuts never have anything but emotional arguments. You're typical.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to Playinghardball (Original post)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 03:16 PM

2. Guns Republican Viagra

 

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to Playinghardball (Original post)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 05:08 PM

4. Re the cancer reference... its interesting that the cure to many cancers is essentially poison.

 

Sometimes the judicious use of something deadly can be extremely useful, and sometimes its the only useful recourse in certain situations. After all, that's why you would call 9-1-1 if you're life is in immediate jeopardy, right?

Just sayin.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to OneTenthofOnePercent (Reply #4)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 08:24 PM

8. As soon as guns are as accurate as chemicals designed to bond to other specific chemicals...

let me know.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to stevenleser (Reply #8)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 08:58 PM

9. Guns are accurate. The users, not so much.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to ManiacJoe (Reply #9)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 09:07 PM

10. One is no good without the other. nt

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to stevenleser (Reply #10)

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 12:16 AM

11. I would argue that the guns and their owners are "more accurate", to use your phrase.

 

With over 300,000,000+ firearms and 80,000,000+ gun owners there were around 12,000 gun-murders homicides in 2010 (FBI data), that means 99.996% of guns and 99.985% of gun owners murdered NOBODY last year.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink


Response to OneTenthofOnePercent (Reply #11)

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 07:17 AM

12. Your data does not suggest that at all. It just might mean that most guns were never fired at anyone

To prove accuracy, you would have to come up with a statistic that showed each time a gun was fired to hit a target and what percentage the target was hit.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread