HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » The complete, un-edited t...

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 01:23 PM

The complete, un-edited testimony of Neil Heslin

directly from the CT Legislative buildings cameras. During the nearly 16 minutes of testimony, no one interrupted him until the second time he asked the crowd for an answer to his question. That part of the testimony starts at 13:30.

Feel free to hate gun owners that were present yesterday, but make sure you hate them for what REALLY happened and not what some edited clip makes you think happened.

And Yes I was there from 10:15 in the morning until about 5:00 when I left. Apparently some on DU think I am trying to hide something.

41 replies, 2664 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 41 replies Author Time Post
Reply The complete, un-edited testimony of Neil Heslin (Original post)
Lurks Often Jan 2013 OP
Angry Dragon Jan 2013 #1
Lurks Often Jan 2013 #2
Angry Dragon Jan 2013 #3
Lurks Often Jan 2013 #4
Angry Dragon Jan 2013 #5
Blue_Tires Jan 2013 #6
PA Democrat Jan 2013 #7
Lurks Often Jan 2013 #12
PA Democrat Jan 2013 #18
Lurks Often Jan 2013 #21
PA Democrat Jan 2013 #22
Lurks Often Jan 2013 #25
PA Democrat Jan 2013 #27
Lurks Often Jan 2013 #29
PA Democrat Jan 2013 #32
Tommy_Carcetti Jan 2013 #33
malaise Jan 2013 #35
Tommy_Carcetti Jan 2013 #8
Blue_Tires Jan 2013 #9
Tommy_Carcetti Jan 2013 #10
Lurks Often Jan 2013 #14
Lurks Often Jan 2013 #13
Tommy_Carcetti Jan 2013 #15
Lurks Often Jan 2013 #16
Tommy_Carcetti Jan 2013 #17
Lurks Often Jan 2013 #11
Blue_Tires Jan 2013 #19
Lurks Often Jan 2013 #20
PA Democrat Jan 2013 #23
Lurks Often Jan 2013 #24
PA Democrat Jan 2013 #26
Lurks Often Jan 2013 #28
PA Democrat Jan 2013 #30
Lurks Often Jan 2013 #37
Tommy_Carcetti Jan 2013 #31
malaise Jan 2013 #34
Lurks Often Jan 2013 #36
malaise Jan 2013 #38
Lurks Often Jan 2013 #39
Tommy_Carcetti Jan 2013 #40
malaise Jan 2013 #41

Response to Lurks Often (Original post)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 01:42 PM

1. Unable to watch clip

please tell me the point you are trying to make

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Angry Dragon (Reply #1)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 01:48 PM

2. Link works for me

The other clips were heavily edited

Reply to this post

Response to Lurks Often (Reply #2)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 01:50 PM

3. I have dial up

Reply to this post

Response to Angry Dragon (Reply #3)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 02:17 PM

4. That's probably the reason you can't view it.

The short version is the poor man spoke for almost 16 minutes with NO interruptions from the crowd (other then the fire alarm) until the 13:31 mark where he asks the crowd why anyone needs an "assault weapon", the first time he asked no one answered him. The second time he asked is when a few in the crowd, maybe 6 or 8 out of the hundreds in the room responded with 2nd Amendment. He was not interrupted after that.

Reply to this post

Response to Lurks Often (Reply #4)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 02:19 PM

5. thank you

Reply to this post

Response to Lurks Often (Reply #4)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 03:05 PM

6. But they *did* interrupt him and pull the fire alarm

that part isn't in dispute, and the fact that they behaved themselves the other 13+ minutes doesn't excuse it, imo...

Reply to this post

Response to Blue_Tires (Reply #6)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 03:18 PM

7. Agree. Additionally, Mr. Heslin was giving testimony and his question was rhetorical.

The OP is not helping his cause by excusing such behavior.

The victim of such a horrific tragedy should be able to provide testimony without being heckled. Those people who felt such a burning need to shout out and interrupt Mr.Heslin could have asked for a speaking slot of their own to express their views. That would be the civil and compassionate thing to do.

Reply to this post

Response to PA Democrat (Reply #7)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 05:03 PM

12. I agree with you on everything except

on whether the comment was rhetorical or not. Certainly everybody has very strong feelings & opinions on this issue.

I was watching the live feed and I watched the video again and to me, Mr Heslin wanted someone in the crowd to answer him. I'm also aware that this is subjective and the only person who really knows if it was rhetorical or not is Mr Heslin himself.

Of the 3 or 4 hours of public testimony I saw, I don't think there were any other outbursts, from either side, other then some clapping when a speaker finished.

Reply to this post

Response to Lurks Often (Reply #12)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 05:26 PM

18. No. Public hearings are always governed by basic rules of decorum

which include allowing people to make their opinions heard without disruptions from other members of the audience. Try reading Roberts Rules which most governing bodies use as a guideline for public hearings/ meetings.

I read a post you made on another thread where you seemed rather proud of the fact that you and other people in attendance (in the overflow room at this hearing) made comments that were "less then(sic) polite." As I stated above, those types of remarks do not help your cause.

Reply to this post

Response to PA Democrat (Reply #18)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 08:17 PM

21. Question for you

If a speaker not once, but twice looks to the audience and asks a question AND pauses long enough for answer, does that rule still apply or should the person speaking not be asking the audience questions?

As I have already stated, Mr Heslin's testimony was not interrupted at any other point and neither was any other speaker that I saw.

Regarding the overflow rooms, nothing said in there could be heard by the committee or the audience where the testimony was taking place. A number of individuals were understandably upset at some of the testimony in which the speaker was either horribly ignorant of what they were speaking about or outright lying. I've certainly seen gun owners here called much, much worse. Most, if not all, of the outbursts were about what the person said, not the person.

People on both sides have very strong feelings about this issue and that may very well have been exacerbated by the long wait in the cold to get in, another wait until we went through the strictest security I can remember (the metal detectors and extra Capitol police were brought just for this day's testimony), stand in line again if you wanted to testify and then being told that if they wished to testify, their placement on the list would be by lottery, not by when they arrived.

Reply to this post

Response to Lurks Often (Reply #21)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 09:22 PM

22. Ahh... He was asking for it. Sure.

Here's my take. If you want to make a statement have the guts to sign up and do so publicly, on the record or submit your comments in writing. Respect the RULES of the Connecticut legislature for public hearings:

Decorum: A hearing is an important step in the process of making law, so it is a formal occasion. Please give your courteous attention to other speakers, regardless of their views. Don't applaud or indicate pleasure or displeasure with anyone's remarks.

http://www.cga.ct.gov/olm/yourvoice.asp

It takes a lot of strength to do what that father did.

I've testified at a state hearing on a matter that deeply affected a member of my family and it was one of the most difficult things I've ever done. I can't imagine how difficult it was for Mr. Heslin to testify so soon after losing his young son to gun violence.

Shouting out comments anonymously from the back of the room is what cowards do. That was indefensible. If your love of your guns has clouded your basic human decency that you can make excuses for such despicable behavior I urge you to seek help.

Reply to this post

Response to PA Democrat (Reply #22)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 09:43 PM

25. Don't put words in my mouth

I agree that it took a lot of strength to do what he did and I can't possibly imagine what he is going through and it was very evident how painful it was for him.

If the rules of decorum state that the audience shouldn't interrupt, what do those same rules say about a speaker addressing the audience instead of the committee?

TWICE Mr. Heslin turned to the crowd and asked them a question and paused for a response. If he had not done so TWICE I would agree with you 100%

You apparently saw things differently then I did. Certainly if an answer was to have been given I would have preferred a more diplomatic one, but not everyone is that quick.

I signed up and spoke publicly AND submitted comments in writing. So many people signed up to speak that the just the public testimony, of which Mr Heslin was NOT part of, that the testimony lasted 12 hours and 44 minutes and many who signed up left to either other responsibilities or due to the weather as it started to snow around noon with predictions for freezing rain and icy roads later in the early evening

Reply to this post

Response to Lurks Often (Reply #25)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 09:46 PM

27. I didn't put any words in your mouth.

Keep defending the indefensible. YOU bragged about your "less than polite" comments. You reap what you sow.

Reply to this post

Response to PA Democrat (Reply #27)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 09:55 PM

29. Saying that I thought he "was asking for it" is putting words in my mouth.

and twice you have not answered my question:

If the rules of decorum state that the audience shouldn't interrupt, what do those same rules say about a speaker addressing the audience instead of the committee?

"You reap what you sow" or we all get what we deserve, most often we all do get what we deserve, but not always what WE think we deserve.

Reply to this post

Response to Lurks Often (Reply #25)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 11:02 PM

32. Go back and listen to Mr. Heslin's question again

He asked WHY YOU NEED these weapons. The NRA tools spewed the 2nd amendment.

FAIL.

Furthermore, listen to the admonition of the committee chair against the NRA gun nut outburst. I think the chairman is better informed to interpret the rules than you.

Keep defending the indefensible.

Reply to this post

Response to PA Democrat (Reply #32)

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 07:36 AM

33. Don't bother. You won't get a straight answer from him.

Poster is an openly admitted NRA apologist whose contributions to DU are almost exclusively either about guns or pushing the "Fast and Furious" non-scandal. That he actually took the time to publicly defend AR-15 rifles and high capacity clips says all you need to know about him.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 03:24 PM

8. According to the OP, he and his RKBA buds were having a field day in the back room.

Reply to this post

Response to Tommy_Carcetti (Reply #8)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 03:29 PM

9. So the OP was actually there?

I wonder why that little tidbit was omitted??

Reply to this post

Response to Blue_Tires (Reply #9)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 03:31 PM

10. Ask him.

I'm sure he'll enlighten us.

Reply to this post

Response to Blue_Tires (Reply #9)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 05:08 PM

14. Fixed it for you.

I don't think anybody who's read my posts regarding the firearms issue has had any doubt where I stood on the issue.

Reply to this post

Response to Tommy_Carcetti (Reply #8)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 05:07 PM

13. Nice of you to make things up

Yes some took offense to the outright lies, intentional or not, being told by some of the speakers. Just like I have no doubt you would have objected loudly as well to some of the testimony.

Reply to this post

Response to Lurks Often (Reply #13)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 05:13 PM

15. Well nice of you to be "less than polite" nt

Reply to this post

Response to Tommy_Carcetti (Reply #15)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 05:15 PM

16. An interesting comment from someone

who's initial contribution to the discussion was a snide remark.

Reply to this post

Response to Lurks Often (Reply #16)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 05:18 PM

17. Oh, trust me, that is me being polite to you.

I'm using every bit of restraint right now with you.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 04:56 PM

11. We don't know what tripped the fire alarm.

Was it a defective sensor somewhere like the Capitol police said or was it someone with an agenda and if so, which side?

I've seen comments on a CT shooting board that some think it was those with an anti gun agenda who pulled the fire alarm for reasons that had nothing to do with Mr Heslin's testimony and everything to do with wanting to move up in line. I do know that the Capitol police did not show any signs of alarm and I did not see them take any one into custody, because I was in line on the first floor to sign up to speak.

Both sides of the argument are very quick and very eager to believe the worst of the other side.

I was back up in one of the additional conference rooms watching the live feed at the 13:30 mark and the impression I got was that Mr Heslin WANTED a response from someone in the audience.

As one shooter put, we were damned if said nothing and damned if we said something.

Reply to this post

Response to Lurks Often (Reply #11)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 05:50 PM

19. You signed up to speak, too?

So what did you say??

Reply to this post

Response to Blue_Tires (Reply #19)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 07:58 PM

20. As I'm sure you've guessed

I spoke out against anything that would further restrict our rights while at the same time doing nothing to prevent another shooting. As another speaker said, Sandy Hook could have been committed just as easily with an every day pump shotgun or handgun

From what I saw about 90% of the testimony was against further restrictions maybe even more.

Reply to this post

Response to Lurks Often (Reply #20)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 09:26 PM

23. Yes, the NRA sent out an email blast to all their good members to show up, didn't they?

So if 90% of the testimony was against more restrictions, why were you and your good ole NRA buddies so threatened that you had to disrespect the testimony of a grieving father? That was VILE. Defending it is VILE.

Reply to this post

Response to PA Democrat (Reply #23)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 09:32 PM

24. DId you watch the clip? n/t

Reply to this post

Response to Lurks Often (Reply #24)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 09:43 PM

26. Yes, I watched it.

I didn't see him "asking" for a gun nut to disrespect his tragic loss.

What I saw was a sick asshole who disrespected not only Mr. Heslin's son's death but also the rules of the CT legislature. I also noticed that Mr. Heslin didn't shout down you or any of your NRA buddies.

Reply to this post

Response to PA Democrat (Reply #26)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 09:48 PM

28. Then we see things differently

You choose to see it as people deliberately disrespecting Mr Heslin and his loss.

I saw that Mr Heslin did want a response from someone in the audience. Mr Heslin left shortly after his testimony and at least an hour before any public testimony was heard.

Are you sure that you hate for guns and gun owners isn't clouding your judgment at least a little?

Reply to this post

Response to Lurks Often (Reply #28)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 10:10 PM

30. It must be AWESOME to be able to read people's minds.......

Mr. Heslin was asking for a response from the gun nuts and I hate gun owners. SHHHHH... Don't tell my husband!!!!!

I know you think you can read Mr. Heslin's mind, but I'll leave no doubt about MY thoughts. I am married to a gun owner. I grew up in a family of gun owners. I don't hate gun owners.

I hate assholes who love their guns so much that they cannot show a little human decency to a grieving father.

Reply to this post

Response to PA Democrat (Reply #30)

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 09:28 AM

37. Lots of people being judgemental around here.

We have fundementally different perspectives on what happened during Mr. Heslin's testimony. You feel he was heckled and disrepected by a small number of members present and both of his questions to the audience were rhetorical.

I saw a man who EXPECTED an answer from the audience, because not once, but twice he asked the audience to respond.

Reply to this post

Response to Lurks Often (Reply #20)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 10:43 PM

31. Here's the really, really neat thing. It doesn't matter what you or your NRA buddies said.

No one will remember the tripe and tired talking points you threw out. The same ones we've heard over and over and over.

A parent's love for their child will always resonate more than a person's love for his inanimate killing machine. The former always trumps the latter.

You did nothing but waste your breath.

Now go crawl back to your hole. I'm sure we'll hear from you again the next time one of your ilk brings up Fast and Furious.

Reply to this post

Response to malaise (Reply #34)

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 09:22 AM

36. I posted the complete clip of his testimony

Regardless of your view on what really happened, recognize that MSNBC and a number of the local CT stations, heavily & selectively edited the clip that was aired

The clip is directly from the live feed broadcast by the cameras in the room where the committee was in the CT Legislative Office Building.

Reply to this post

Response to Lurks Often (Reply #36)

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 09:42 AM

38. FFS he did not answer the question

He heckled the grieving father with a stupid rant which bears no resemblance to the 2nd amendment.

Reply to this post

Response to malaise (Reply #38)

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 09:48 AM

39. Ok. Not asking you to agree with me

on our very different views of what took place Monday. I posted the complete clip so people could see everything that took place and so they could draw their own conclusions based on the entire clip.

Reply to this post

Response to malaise (Reply #38)

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 09:54 AM

40. Come on now, malaise.

They were only being "less than polite."

Reply to this post

Response to Tommy_Carcetti (Reply #40)

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 09:55 AM

41. OK then

Reply to this post