HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » ‘I Got It Wrong On Climat...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 08:42 AM

‘I Got It Wrong On Climate Change–It’s Far, Far Worse,’ An ‘Existential’ Threat for many

By Joe Romm

"Stern now believes he should have been more ‘blunt’ about threat to economies from temperature rises" -- UK Guardian
Another day, another climate expert explains the deadly combination of inaction and faster-than-expected impacts.

This time the man ringing the bell is Lord Nicholas Stern, the author of the famous Stern Review on the Economics of Climate Change. The UK Guardian reports:
Stern … said: “Looking back, I underestimated the risks. The planet and the atmosphere seem to be absorbing less carbon than we expected, and emissions are rising pretty strongly. Some of the effects are coming through more quickly than we thought then.”
The Stern review, published in 2006, pointed to a 75% chance that global temperatures would rise by between two and three degrees above the long-term average; he now believes we are “on track for something like four “
. Had he known the way the situation would evolve, he says, “I think I would have been a bit more blunt. I would have been much more strong about the risks of a four- or five-degree rise.”

More here...

At what point will we face reality? At least Obama is now finally acknowledging it's ominous existence.

8 replies, 868 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply ‘I Got It Wrong On Climate Change–It’s Far, Far Worse,’ An ‘Existential’ Threat for many (Original post)
AgingAmerican Jan 2013 OP
global1 Jan 2013 #1
progressoid Jan 2013 #2
stuntcat Jan 2013 #3
AgingAmerican Jan 2013 #4
stuntcat Jan 2013 #5
AverageJoe90 Jan 2013 #6
Blue_Tires Jan 2013 #7
Zoeisright Jan 2013 #8

Response to AgingAmerican (Original post)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 08:55 AM

1. It's Time For The Media To Be Replaying Al Gore's "Inconvenient Truth" And.....

at the end of the documentary - to show all the climatic changes, storms, etc since that documentary first came out. In my opinion it was prophetic - yet it was panned at the time. Now - after storms like Hurricane Sandy - it might sink in and start getting through to people and more might begin to take global climate change more seriously.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to global1 (Reply #1)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 01:24 PM

2. I think we need something a little more direct, succinct, and modern than "Inconvient Truth"

Time for a new Al Gore to motivate the people.

Reply to this post

Response to progressoid (Reply #2)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 01:29 PM

3. yes. also something that won't put a Democrat's face on the issue

the "issue" that's also the biggest threat to ALL our existence, from Nobel winner to knuckle dragger.

Reply to this post

Response to stuntcat (Reply #3)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 06:43 PM

4. Obama needs to lead on it

n/t

Reply to this post

Response to AgingAmerican (Reply #4)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 07:29 PM

5. oh yah! unless it's the president!

!!

Reply to this post

Response to progressoid (Reply #2)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 07:36 PM

6. I'd like to nominate our very own GreenMan3610 for just such a position.

He doesn't downplay the problem by any means, but he also doesn't go to the absurd extremes that people like Guy McPherson, David Wasdell, and a certain few others do. If there's ever a guy to replace Al Gore, Peter Sinclair would be the guy for job.

Reply to this post

Response to global1 (Reply #1)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 07:40 PM

7. We can't even get some pols to take evolution and biological sexual orientation seriously...

One of many things I'll never forgive George Bush Jr. for is how he made it "acceptable" by the mainstream to be an anti-science fundie nutbar, and now we have an idiot legion of senators, pundits, lobbyists and would-be presidential candidates to thank for it...

Reply to this post

Response to AgingAmerican (Original post)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 07:54 PM

8. Most people are too stupid to understand it.

The very fact that someone says they "believe" in global warming means they are totally uneducated in science. There is no "belief" in science. You either understand it or you don't. And any maroon who thinks global warming is not happening needs to be put out on an ice floe. NOW.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread