HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Wonder why the Rethugs ar...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 12:56 AM

Wonder why the Rethugs are in such a hurry to cut entitlements?

Because the federal deficit is shrinking faster than at any time since World War II!

http://qz.com/#29796/the-us-budget-deficit-is-shrinking-faster-than-at-any-time-since-world-war-ii/

10 replies, 1410 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Th1onein (Original post)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 01:00 AM

1. Because they are misguided

they want to transfer all the wealth to the top and have the masses as serfs
because they think they will one of the few at the top

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Angry Dragon (Reply #1)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 01:04 AM

2. I think it is their ideology. They don't like "big government" but they know that Medicare and

SS are popular with the people so they cleverly figure that if they cut these programs to the bone the people will give up on them and then they'll have what they want, a shrunken government. Our job is to prevent that from happening.

Reply to this post

Response to CTyankee (Reply #2)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 01:21 AM

3. Don't even let them...

say they don't like "big government"(see"patriot act, warrantless wiretaps, war in Iraq).
They are just fucking assholes, period.

Reply to this post

Response to PopeOxycontinI (Reply #3)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 01:25 AM

5. Of course! We have to take the argument to them and also respond to them when they

spout their poison.

This is IMPORTANT. We simply must do this or lose programs for the collective good of our people. The stakes couldn't be higher...

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 01:21 AM

4. Selfish and they think it will never happen to them

They are not really about "small government". You rarely find a pub that is concerned about run-away defense spending.

Most of them are just fairly selfish, that combined with ego/naivety, they believe they will never need help. Or don't recognize they use the help. Or if they do know they are using a government program they will still tend to think that everyone *else* is cheating and they are the only ones who deserve it. Just plain selfish.

Reply to this post

Response to newthinking (Reply #4)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 01:26 AM

6. But this is also the brainchild of conservative think tanks. Make no mistake.

It flies under the "flag" of self reliance and all that good stuff but it is noxious....

Reply to this post

Response to CTyankee (Reply #6)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 01:44 AM

7. That enables them. But they still own the behavior itself

I had a relative who was an angry bigot. He eventually learned to keep his bigotry and hate to himself for a while. Sure these think tanks and media pundits give them an excuse to release thier crud on society, but make no mistake, they just use the noise as an excuse for what they already groom inside. They own it.

The older I get the more I realize that these are the same mindsets that have made most of the fires in the world. There is a primitiveness to it.

Reply to this post

Response to CTyankee (Reply #6)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 01:48 AM

8. I am thinking mostly of the 25% that rage, but it is pretty much a selfish mindset

behind the entire conservative spectrum. Some moreso than others. IM Experience.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 07:34 AM

9. because they have already raped everything else.

gots to have it all.

Reply to this post

Response to 2pooped2pop (Reply #9)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 06:06 PM

10. You are EXACTLY right! It's NOT the mindset. These people are not "true believers."

It's greed. As usual. THEY want that money that is going to feed the poor and the hungry; that is going to take care of our elderly; that is going to pay for public education; and public transportation. THEY want THAT money.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread