HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Suppression of growth and...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 08:52 PM

Suppression of growth and invasive behavior of human prostate cancer cells, by Prostacaid:,

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by Warren Stupidity (a host of the General Discussion forum).

mechanism of activity.

I have searched this paper over and over looking for the woo, but somehow or another I cannot find it. I have never heard of this particular product, don't know where to get it, don't need it, am not suggesting it to anyone, don't care if anyone reads this, don't care if they stop making it tomorrow, don't want anyone to think I own the factory where it is made, don't want to give medical advice, just want to state the facts as they are. These are the facts as they exist today. Living in the past with your head in the sand is cozy but it has its costs. BTW, this stuff has the ONE (1) substance that that golfer is hawking on the television everywhere you turn.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2146854

Int J Oncol. 2011 Jun;38(6):1675-82. doi: 10.3892/ijo.2011.996. Epub 2011 Apr 4.
Suppression of growth and invasive behavior of human prostate cancer cells by ProstaCaid™: mechanism of activity.
Jiang J, Eliaz I, Sliva D.
Source

Cancer Research Laboratory, Methodist Research Institute, Indiana University Health, 1800 N Capitol Ave, E504, Indianapolis, IN 46202, USA.
Abstract

Since the use of dietary supplements as alternative treatments or adjuvant therapies in cancer treatment is growing, a scientific verification of their biological activity and the detailed mechanisms of their action are necessary for the acceptance of dietary supplements in conventional cancer treatments.

In the present study we have evaluated the anti-cancer effects of dietary supplement ProstaCaid™ (PC) which contains mycelium from medicinal mushrooms (Ganoderma lucidum, Coriolus versicolor, Phellinus linteus), saw palmetto berry, pomegranate, pumpkin seed, green tea , Japanese knotweed (50% resveratrol), extracts of turmeric root (BCM-95®), grape skin, pygeum bark, sarsaparilla root, Scutellaria barbata, eleuthero root, Job's tears, astragalus root, skullcap, dandelion, coptis root, broccoli, and stinging nettle, with purified vitamin C, vitamin D3, selenium, quercetin, citrus bioflavonoid complex, β sitosterolzinc, lycopene, α lipoic acid, boron, berberine and 3.3'-diinodolymethane (DIM).

We show that PC treatment resulted in the inhibition of cell proliferation of the highly invasive human hormone refractory (independent) PC-3 prostate cancer cells in a dose- and time-dependent manner with IC50 56.0, 45.6 and 39.0 µg/ml for 24, 48 and 72 h, respectively. DNA-microarray analysis demonstrated that PC inhibits proliferation through the modulation of expression of CCND1, CDK4, CDKN1A, E2F1, MAPK6 and PCNA genes.

In addition, PC also suppresses metastatic behavior of PC-3 by the inhibition of cell adhesion, cell migration and cell invasion, which was associated with the down-regulation of expression of CAV1, IGF2, NR2F1, and PLAU genes and suppressed secretion of the urokinase plasminogen activator (uPA) from PC-3 cells. In conclusion, the dietary supplement PC is a promising natural complex with the potency to inhibit invasive human prostate cancer.

PMID:

6 replies, 420 views

Cannot reply in locked threads

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Suppression of growth and invasive behavior of human prostate cancer cells, by Prostacaid:, (Original post)
2on2u Jan 2013 OP
mike_c Jan 2013 #1
2on2u Jan 2013 #2
KoKo Jan 2013 #3
2on2u Jan 2013 #4
KoKo Jan 2013 #5
Warren Stupidity Jan 2013 #6

Response to 2on2u (Original post)

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 09:04 PM

1. not necessarily woo...

...but here are some issues I might have:

First, there is little information in the excerpt (I presume it's an abstract?) about the number of trials and how they were conducted, although the context strongly suggests in vitro cell culture from a human prostate cancer line. In those circumstances, many substance inhibit cell growth in culture-- the key to therapy is being able to deliver them to proliferating tumors, without damage to normal cells, and for the therapeutic effect to express in situ. This study is only a very short first step in that direction.

Something that I find more troubling though, is the stated mission of the institution where this research was performed:

The Cancer Research Laboratory studies how natural compounds and dietary products affect the growth, invasivness (sic), and metastatic behavior of cancer cells....

Therein lies the greatest potential for woo, IMO, although it's not necessarily so. But likely. When an institute comes to research with a prior agenda, there is ALWAYS the potential for self-serving woo.

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to mike_c (Reply #1)

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 09:11 PM

2. Of mice and men..... I know a mouse is not a man, unless of course it is Mighty Mouse....

however they did a xenograft and here were the results...

Int J Oncol. 2012 May;40(5):1339-44. doi: 10.3892/ijo.2012.1344. Epub 2012 Jan 24.
ProstaCaid inhibits tumor growth in a xenograft model of human prostate cancer.
Jiang J, Loganathan J, Eliaz I, Terry C, Sandusky GE, Sliva D.
Source

Cancer Research Laboratory, Methodist Research Institute, Indiana University Health, Indianapolis, IN, USA.
Abstract

We have recently demonstrated that the dietary supplement ProstaCaid (PC) inhibits growth and invasive behavior of PC-3 human prostate cancer cells in vitro. In the present study, we evaluated toxicity and whether PC suppresses growth of prostate cancer in a xenograft model of human prostate cancer cells implanted in mice.

Here, we show that an oral administration of PC (100, 200 and 400 mg/kg) did not affect body weight or activity of liver enzymes (ALT, AST) and did not show any sign of toxicity in liver, spleen, kidney, lung and heart tissues in mice. In addition, PC treatment resulted in the inhibition of tumor volumes (1024.6 ± 378.6 vs. 749.3 ± 234.3, P<0.001) in a xenograft model of prostate cancer with human hormone refractory (independent) PC-3 prostate cancer cells.

Moreover, qRT-PCR analysis demonstrated significant upregulation of expression of CDKN1A (p21) and inhibition of expression of IGF2, NR2F2 and PLAU (uPA) genes by an oral administration of PC in prostate cancer xenografts.

Our study demonstrates that the concentrations of the dietary supplement ProstaCaid tested did not show signs of toxicity, and its oral application has significant anticancer activity in vivo and can be considered as an alternative treatment for prostate cancer patients.

PMID:

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 09:15 PM

3. I thought we weren't supposed to be giving Med Info...and that includes

"early research" which is not available, research from sources in early speculation along with advice which might not be applicable to people who really need to find a MD Internist and be given the "approved treatment" recommended when results show a problem.

At some point folks might want to seek "alternative therapies or treatments' for a medical condition but a "Political Forum" like "Democratic Underground" is not the best place to be dispensing medical treatments for anyone here...would think.

Have you thought about posting this in another "Group Forum" that address "alternative medications" here in DU? This doesn't seem to be political enough to be in the Main Forums here on DU...but, really info that belongs to those seeking alternative treatments. (I wonder if even that belongs on a Political Blog..at all)

Response to KoKo (Reply #3)

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 09:24 PM

4. This is not medical advice, I view all of these things as potential preventive proactive

steps that may be taken. This is not a treatment, it is information that someone might use for prevention. There are dozens of prostate support formulas on the market, some of them have similar components as the one listed above.

If you read the hundreds of reviews you will see a trend, reduced nighttime visits to the bathroom or eliminated altogether, dropping cholesterol up to 100 points, etc. I am just showing that when people point and say woo every time a natural method is presented for promoting health and wellness that there is a small chance that they are wrong.

Response to 2on2u (Reply #4)

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 09:38 PM

5. You would be giving advice to people who are anonymous and causing this site to

be subject to a law suit if someone took your "preventative solution" and did not thing to keep themselves checked out by a qualified Medial Professional. Or someone could be afraid of the treatments prescribed by their Medical Profession and decide to try to use the information from the site you post and "self-medicate" themselves and end up dying because they didn't go with the Prescribed Treatment.

This is not Political which is what this site is about. There are many alternative medicine site out there on the web. This site you are referencing is very speculative and giving a website where "hundreds of reviews" exist doesn't qualify this as "peer reviewed, tested therapeutical treatment for anyone with Prostate Problems which can range in severity. It's "speculative preventative treatment" with little backing it up.

If someone wants to try it....put it out there on the NET in "Alternative Treatments Websites" if you are so convinced.

Most serious an informed would go to Mayo Website or even Web MD to find real peer reviewed information. If they don't like that then their choice is to view what you posted somewhere else other than a Political Democratic Website.

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 07:44 AM

6. Locking. Please repost in the health forum.