HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » “I Am Wearing My Convicti...

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 07:43 PM

“I Am Wearing My Conviction As A Badge Of Honor.”

from Kiriakou:

In the summer of 2010, a foreign intelligence officer and offered me cash in exchange for classified information. I turned down the pitch and I immediately reported it to the FBI. So, the FBI asked me to take the guy out to lunch and to ask him what information he wanted and how much information he was willing to give me for it. They were going to put two agents at a nearby table. They ended up canceling the two agents but they asked me to go ahead with the lunch so I did. After the lunch, I wrote a long memo to the FBI — and I did this four or five times.

It turns out – and we only learned this three or four weeks ago – there never was a foreign intelligence officer. It was an FBI agent pretending to be an intelligence officer and they were trying to set me up on an Espionage Act charge but I repeatedly reported the contact so I foiled them in their effort to set me up.

The Justice Department made Kiriakou a victim of a “secret double standard.” As Ted Gup stated in an op-ed for the New York Times, in Kiriakou’s case, the CIA was invoking secrecy to serve its own interests. Gup recounted from experience:

Over the years, I have interviewed many active and retired C.I.A. personnel who were not authorized to speak with me; they included heads of the agency’s clandestine service, analysts and well over 100 case officers, including station chiefs. Five former directors of central intelligence have spoken to me, mostly “on background.” Not one of these interviewees, to my knowledge, was taken to the woodshed, though our discussions invariably touched on classified territory.

To this, Kiriakou reacted:

I don’t think I am overstating this when I say I feel like we’re entering a second McCarthy era where the Justice Department uses the law as a fist or as a hammer not just to try and convict people but to ruin them personally and professionally because they don’t like where they stand on different issues.

I know Lanny Breuer. Lanny Breuer’s my former attorney from the Scooter Libby case but I think that Lanny Breuer became a zealot when he went to the Justice Department and he drank the Justice Department’s anti-whistleblower kool-aid. And I think we see the same thing with Neil McBride in the way he’s targeting WikiLeaks with a grand jury when in fact he should be targeting the bankers who have ruined our country and the crooked politicians who shirk their responsibilities to oversee the intelligence community.

Though he is going to jail, Kiriakou stated, “I am wearing my conviction as a badge of honor.”

I am proud that I stood up to our government. I stood up for what I believed was right conviction or no conviction. I mean they can convict anybody of anything if they put their minds to it, but I wear this as a badge of honor. I am not a criminal. I am a whistleblower. The thing that I blew the whistle on is now the law of the land. Torture is illegal and it’s officially abandoned in our country and I’m proud to have had a role in that.

Much More: http://dissenter.firedoglake.com/2013/01/25/cia-whistleblower-john-kiriakou-sentenced-to-30-months-in-jail-wears-conviction-as-badge-of-honor/

15 replies, 1087 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 15 replies Author Time Post
Reply “I Am Wearing My Conviction As A Badge Of Honor.” (Original post)
WillyT Jan 2013 OP
WillyT Jan 2013 #1
woo me with science Jan 2013 #2
annabanana Jan 2013 #3
WillyT Jan 2013 #4
annabanana Jan 2013 #5
WillyT Jan 2013 #6
woo me with science Jan 2013 #7
woo me with science Jan 2013 #8
TeamPooka Jan 2013 #10
Egalitarian Thug Jan 2013 #13
Comrade Grumpy Jan 2013 #9
WillyT Jan 2013 #11
woo me with science Jan 2013 #12
WillyT Jan 2013 #14
Luminous Animal Jan 2013 #15

Response to WillyT (Original post)

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 08:37 PM

1. Kick !!!

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 08:46 PM

2. "I feel like we’re entering a second McCarthy era...

where the Justice Department uses the law as a fist or as a hammer not just to try and convict people but to ruin them personally and professionally because they don’t like where they stand on different issues."

That's a chilling story.

We live in chilling times...

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 08:51 PM

3. Justice Department needs an overhaul.

Just changing the faces at the top isn't going to cut it.

Reply to this post

Response to annabanana (Reply #3)

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 09:03 PM

4. Remember When We WELCOMED WhistleBlowers Back In The Day ???

It Was a Leftist/Democrat proposal... not so long ago.

Does one support the notion that, Iran/Contra... Let Alone, Watergate, would happen in these climes ???

Reply to this post

Response to WillyT (Reply #4)

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 09:06 PM

5. Exactly! Whistleblowers are heroes.

They are letting us know when OUR system need the attention of the people.

Reply to this post

Response to annabanana (Reply #5)

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 09:08 PM

6. EXACTLY !!!

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 10:12 PM

7. K&R

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 12:44 PM

8. Kick. This is important.

Reply to this post

Response to woo me with science (Reply #8)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 12:56 PM

10. rekicking because you're right.

Reply to this post

Response to woo me with science (Reply #8)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 10:41 PM

13. Is not. n/t

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 12:50 PM

9. Yet the CIA torturers walk free among us. What a country!!

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 06:17 PM

11. Last Kick From Me...

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 10:35 PM

12. Kick

Reply to this post

Response to woo me with science (Reply #12)

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 10:43 PM

14. Thanks Woo... It's Amazing How Many Progressives Do NOT Want To Hear This...

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 30, 2013, 12:25 AM

15. Kick!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread