HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Muted TV while filling my...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 03:37 PM

Muted TV while filling my car

I had to go through several screens and several buttons before I could slide my credit card and start filling. Reward card? debit, credit, or other alternatives? Car wash? Want receipt?

So when I finally started filling and a TV screen came to life behind me, I started hitting on the buttons and on second try - top left - I got it muted. Nirvana (almost).

9 replies, 1064 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to question everything (Original post)

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 03:41 PM

1. That tv = another one of those "remedies" that is so far behind the curve as to actually be more of

and from the oppressive forces that are causing the "need" for such tvs and guns and such in the first place.

Is there any fixing stupid?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 03:48 PM

2. Is that BP? They just started doing that at the station near me.

I find that whole experience so annoying, I don't go there anymore. I really don't want to be bombarded with advertising ever second of the day.

Reply to this post

Response to BlueStreak (Reply #2)

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 04:00 PM

4. Yes. I've been using BP since most of the years I've had the car

going into 15. So I hate to switch now. I really don't know if there is a difference between the different products.

Reply to this post

Response to question everything (Reply #4)

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 04:27 PM

8. We have a gasoline terminal near my house. We see tankers of all the major brands

going through there every day. Sure seems to me it is the same product. Amoco claims to add a special detergent to their highest grade. And there are variations in the ethanol level. But otherwise, I'd say all the major brands are the same.

And nobody else is quite as obnoxious as BP about the in-your-face advertising. I wouldn't mind if there was a "Turn it off now" button, but I'll be damned if I will stand there for 4 minutes watching their stupid advertising. Other gas stations display ads on their pumps, but there is no sound, so you can simply look at something else. The sound on the BP stations is enough to make me patronize another brand.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 03:52 PM

3. Flyers does it in my area.

Small tank = fast fill and I'm out of there before I go postal and smash the little fucker.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 04:20 PM

5. You're lucky they're new - the 'mute' button still works.

That poor, little pressure switch is going to be mashed into oblivion over the next few months. Eventually, neither the 'mute' button nor the 'volume' control will work (and the volume itself will be at MAX - distorted, tinny, and blaring).

mikey_the_rat

Reply to this post

Response to mikeytherat (Reply #5)

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 04:26 PM

7. Oh really? You mean, others do the same?

Or do most people just live with it?

Will be interesting to see in several months.

Reply to this post

Response to mikeytherat (Reply #5)

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 04:28 PM

9. I don't see a mute button on the BP pumps.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 04:22 PM

6. I had no idea that you could mute

those damn things. Thank you for posting this. I will be looking for that button.

One of the stations in my area recently remodeled with warning lights and a loud message at every pump. It goes off with each use, so if there are 8 people pumping, each one gets their own warning before they start. It made me jump me when I used it for the first and last time (I haven't been back to that station). And, of course, the TV goes right back on after the warning is complete.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread