HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » By far the most ignorant ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 12:34 PM

By far the most ignorant conservative BS I've seen so far this year.

I don't know what the graph covers. My best guess is that they're including the Republicans over bloated government employee pay and then insinuating that those on welfare are so much better off financially than those with jobs. Unbelievable!

Why Work? Household Welfare Spending $168 Per Day, Higher Than Median Income

Those who work for a living might want to put away shoes, hammers, and other hard objects to keep from throwing them through the computer. A new study shows that on average the government spends $168 per household on various assistance programs, one-fifth more than the median income of $137.

As the Republican side of the Senate Budget Committee reported (after all, who else in government is going to do it?), welfare spending per hour per household in poverty is $30.60, which is higher than the $25.03 median income per hour.

The Weekly Standard points out that direct welfare payments are not taxed:

After accounting for federal taxes, the median hourly wage drops to between $21.50 and $23.45, depending on a household’s deductions and filing status. State and local taxes further reduce the median household’s hourly earnings. By contrast, welfare benefits are not taxed.”

Welfare recipients never had it so good. This is not to say that poor people are rich, or that life is easy for everyone on food stamps or on some other form of government assistance. It’s just that conservatives would rather poor people be working, rather than paying their way through life on other people’s dime

http://www.ijreview.com/2012/12/24677-welfare-spending-equates-to-168-per-day-for-every-household-in-poverty/

If conservatives would really rather see people working, wouldn't their top priority be creating a working jobs program? Gag!

6 replies, 1207 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply By far the most ignorant conservative BS I've seen so far this year. (Original post)
DogPawsBiscuitsNGrav Jan 2013 OP
demwing Jan 2013 #1
NutmegYankee Jan 2013 #2
Angry Dragon Jan 2013 #3
dballance Jan 2013 #4
4Q2u2 Jan 2013 #5
randome Jan 2013 #6

Response to DogPawsBiscuitsNGrav (Original post)

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 12:38 PM

1. While we're making stupid comparisons

let's compare the GDP of Canada to the length of time that Saturn takes to orbit the Sun.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 12:43 PM

2. This is just massive fudging of numbers.

What a laughable premise.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 12:45 PM

3. I find the median numbers suspect

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 12:52 PM

4. Of Course you Don't Know What the Chart Covers - They Don't Want you to Know

I can assure you that the families on TANF and SNAP are not averaging $168 per day. I just checked the USDA site for average monthly SNAP benefits. They mostly fall in the $200-$300 range per month - not per day. The median TANF benefit per month was $428 in 2011, the most recent data I could find. So if we add the TANF monthly to the higher-end SNAP monthly the we get a benefit of about $728 per month. That works out to $24 per day for a 30-day month. A far cry from $168 per day that the good senator's staff would like you to think we're paying families on welfare (TANF) and food stamps (SNAP) with the presentation of this inflammatory chart.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 02:12 PM

5. If True So What

Right next to it should be the Bar Graph of how much money we are giving to Billionaires. Daily and hourly, for in reality that is where the money is going to, and what is holding down the avg median income from being over Welfare if it is true.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 02:13 PM

6. It's only January. I'm sure they can outdo this.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread