HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Walking from Norway to Af...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 05:16 AM

Walking from Norway to Africa without Money or a Passport

Over the past year and a half, 31-year-old Ibby Okinyi has been living and walking through Europe, without spending a dime. From Oslo, Norway, he’s walked over 1,600 miles with just a backpack on his back. He’s made his way through Denmark, Germany, Holland, Belgium, France and into Spain, where he’s currently staying for a few days in Basque country. Although it may take another year, at least, Okinyi doesn’t plan to stop walking until he reaches Morocco, Africa.

“So I’ve done everything in reverse, it would be the same as you crossing over to Mexico from where you are, you know people generally try to gear themselves to be rich, I've tried to make myself poor,” says Okinyi, who was born and raised in Australia to a Kenyan father and an Italian mother.

Blogging as he goes, Okinyi only uses public transportation when absolutely necessary—like the ferry (his passage a gift from the captain who heard his story) that took him from from Sweden to Denmark. He fuels his journey frugaly, eating only when he is hungry: berries and fruit from the wild, and the consistent surplus of perfectly good food he finds in dumpsters all across Europe. He also relies on the hospitlity of strangers.

Okinyi believes whole heartedly that people should not judge eachother based on “fake constructions” like borders and nationality, but as humans, the sum of all that each has lived. Hardly a hypocrite, he burned both his Italian and Australian passports last October in Holland. A friend filmed the burning, in which he says “I am my own country... I’m a human being, not European, not African, not Chinese...” and later tells the police officers who stamp out the blazing passport “I love you,” to which one replies the same.

As Okinyi walks on, optimistic and beaming, he does not know what he’ll do, exactly, once he reaches Africa, and he does not yet know what kind of trouble he may encounter getting into Morocco. He dreams of being able to travel with nothing at all, and thinks he might give away the rest of his stuff once he reaches the warmer climate of Africa...“I've been very lucky, and I haven't had any problems and I've just been received really well. And it's comforting actually, I find that the world and humans are a lot better than we're made out to be. I think there's a lot of propaganda going around, and people who are scared generally put up a defense mechanism, and they're the people that may be more destructive,” says Okinyi.

His prolific and passionate blog entries will someday be compiled into a book, at the core of which will lie this certainty: humankind is inherently good. “I believe the world's going to progress, I believe in that a lot,” says Okinyi.

http://www.shareable.net/blog/walking-from-norway-to-africa-without-money-or-a-passport

7 replies, 1277 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 7 replies Author Time Post
Reply Walking from Norway to Africa without Money or a Passport (Original post)
HiPointDem Jan 2013 OP
brooklynite Jan 2013 #1
pampango Jan 2013 #3
brooklynite Jan 2013 #5
mainer Jan 2013 #2
Liberal_in_LA Jan 2013 #4
HiPointDem Jan 2013 #6
Liberal_in_LA Jan 2013 #7

Response to HiPointDem (Original post)

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 07:00 AM

1. Here's a hint...he's not going to get into Morocco.

He's currently benefitting from the Schengen Treaty, which almost all European Union are signatories to, which eliminated internal border controls. Morocco is NOT a signatory, and thus traveling out of Spain at that point will require documentation. Someone taking him over by private boat would essentially be engaging in smuggling.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to brooklynite (Reply #1)

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 11:56 AM

3. My thoughts exactly. Open borders in Europe make walking from Norway to Spain easy without papers.

Getting into Morocco, not so easy. You're not in Europe anymore, buddy.

It is nice that a half-Kenyan, half-Italian Australian/Italian can walk so easily from Norway to Spain. As you said, the Schegen Treaty (1985) brought this freedom about though I found this:

Before 1914, it was possible to travel from Paris to Saint Petersburg without a passport. When the First World War came to an end, the practice of issuing passports and performing routine passport controls at national frontiers remained and became the norm in Europe until the implementation of the Schengen Area in 1985.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Agreement

I had thought that the requirement for passports and visas in Europe had been around for centuries. Turns out that closed borders were the relative aberration.

Reply to this post

Response to pampango (Reply #3)

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 02:21 PM

5. Also worth noting that his "I don't need anything but my two feet" philosphy...

...requires an intergovernmental agreement to allow for flexible travel.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 08:42 AM

2. Hope he'll be OK. He reminds me of the "bride for peace" who was murdered

She was trying to prove that the world is a good and peaceful place. And she got murdered during her travels.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7344381.stm

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 01:24 PM

4. guy tried to do this in America recently, gave up after a few days

You can listen to the story at link below: Summary - Peace Pilgrim was white woman, this guy is young black male - was stopped and searched by police, wasn't wearing proper clothing for the winter, gave up and called mom after a few days.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/483/self-improvement-kick

Act One
Is that a Compass, a Map, a Toothbrush and a Bottle of Purell in Your Pocket, or Are You Just Happy To See Me?

Elna Baker tells a story about her friend Daryl Watson. Daryl was a talented playwright working in New York City. In 2009, Elna got a mass-email from him explaining how he was going to walk across the country in the name of peace. And that he was changing his name to "Peace Pilgrim." He plans to spend six months walking, in hopes that he'll figure out his purpose in life. He gives away everything he owns and all his money, and sets off from Delaware. He lasts three days. Elna never knew what had happened, so recently she met up with Daryl and got him to tell the story. Elna is the author of a memoir, The New York Regional Mormon Singles Halloween Dance. Daryl's newest play is "Unbound." In February there will be a reading of Daryl's newest play, "Unbound," at the IAMA Theatre Company in Los Angeles. (21 minutes)Travel

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/483/self-improvement-kick

Reply to this post

Response to Liberal_in_LA (Reply #4)

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 03:19 PM

6. this young black guy didn't give up after a few days though.

Reply to this post

Response to HiPointDem (Reply #6)

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 03:20 PM

7. excellent

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread