HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » How one Rahm-connected ch...

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 10:52 PM

How one Rahm-connected charter school chain got as much $$$ as the ENTIRE Chicago Public Schools

Greg Hinz has a great post on his Crain's blog today. It's all about the $35 million grant given to UNO, operator of a Chicago chain of privately operated charter schools tied into the old Daley political machine and now with connections to Mayor Rahm Emanuel. UNO Board Chairman Juan Rangel recently served as finance chairman of Emanuel’s mayoral campaign The $35 million is as much as Chicago Public Schools gets for the entire city.

The money came from Springfield, through the back door, as part of an amendment to Sen. Bill 24 introduced by Senator (and billionaire heiress) Heather Steans. She and her sister Robin Steans have been active statewide in promoting privately-run charters, trying to grab the pension fund, and opposing collective bargaining rights for teachers.

Hinz says Steans "was handling it at the request of somebody upstairs" (read, House Speaker Mike Madigan). He says he was tipped off to the shady UNO deal by Parents United for Responsible Education (PURE).

Hinz writes:

So it goes in our fair capital city. Education money is short, and CPS is talking about shutting schools. But those with friends have their ways. Welcome to the great state of Illinois.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20130123/BLOGS02/130129898/springfield-magic-money-for-schools-some-schools

And don't forget the City that Works -- Chicago.

http://schoolingintheownershipsociety.blogspot.com/

9 replies, 1163 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply How one Rahm-connected charter school chain got as much $$$ as the ENTIRE Chicago Public Schools (Original post)
HiPointDem Jan 2013 OP
msanthrope Jan 2013 #1
hedda_foil Jan 2013 #2
msanthrope Jan 2013 #4
madville Jan 2013 #3
HiPointDem Jan 2013 #6
onpatrol98 Jan 2013 #5
Fire Walk With Me Jan 2013 #7
HiPointDem Jan 2013 #8
HiPointDem Feb 2013 #9

Response to HiPointDem (Original post)

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 11:20 PM

1. This is pretty disengenuous...UNO got money for building schools in Hispanic, overcrowded

Democratic districts, including the district of Michael Madigan, Democratic Speaker of the Illinois House, according to your source--

But, in checking around, I hear that the guy who really pushed the proposed $35 million grant was House Speaker Michael Madigan, whose district has turned overwhelmingly Latino in recent years and who probably could use one of those new UNO schools in his district. Mr. Madigan — his spokesman did not return calls — was so hot for the grant that he actually tried to add it to some other bills, multiple reliable Springfield sources say.

Read more: http://www.chicagobusiness.com/article/20130123/BLOGS02/130129898/springfield-magic-money-for-schools-some-schools#ixzz2JEySabG6

Why, precisely, are you complaining about Democrats getting new schools built for Hispanics?????

Who wants to drive a wedge between Democrats and Hispanic voters??? Who does it benefit????

This isn't the first article you've posted about this Hispanic grassroots organization. I wonder at your fixation on this---

cui bono?

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to msanthrope (Reply #1)

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 11:30 PM

2. Right... and most of the money went to a soccer academy.

This is Chicago,where the Dems have been in power forever and are corrupt as they come. I've been a proud Democrat since Truman was president,but I know damn well that Chicago pols are all about power and cash. Wish it weren't so, but it's the way things roll in the windy city.

Reply to this post

Response to hedda_foil (Reply #2)

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 11:40 PM

4. And what is wrong with a soccer academy? Cheapest school built in Chicago....

Ten months ago, UNO didn’t even own title to the land where the school now stands. “I think we have to learn how to build schools cheaper and faster,” says Rangel. At $27 million, UNO's Soccer Academy is the lowest priced elementary school built in the district in recent years, comparisons provided by the Public Building Commission of Chicago show. Adam Clayton Powell Elementary on the South Side, which also opened this fall, cost $29 million. The new Ogden International Elementary on the North Side cost taxpayers $54 million (though underground parking there made it atypically expensive).
http://www.wbez.org/story/shiny-charter-school-southwest-side-92058

Granted, the soccer academy services fewer kids, because it is more specialized. But I don't see why it is wrong for the district to have a school of this type, with a beautiful field. I hope it prospers, and the kids are inspired.

Again--who benefits from driving a wedge between Democrats and Hispanics??

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 11:32 PM

3. The pension funds have no money to grab

Illinois will be on of the first states to declare bankruptcy, their debt is pretty much unrecoverable at this point.

Reply to this post

Response to madville (Reply #3)

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 12:54 AM

6. bull, there's still plenty of money to grab despite the underfunding. $10 billion dollars, in fact.

Chicago Public School Teachers' Pension & Retirement Fund plans to examine the impact of the LIBOR manipulation scandal on the $9.7 billion pension fund and determine what if any legal or other action to take to recover losses, according to a board resolution.

http://www.pionline.com/article/20121129/DAILYREG/121129911/chicago-teachers-pension-fund-to-study-losses-from-libor-scandal

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 12:42 AM

5. Wow!

One school got as much as an entire Chicago Public Schools. That sounds wild regardless of who the school was built for.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 01:15 AM

7. Rahm used to work for Goldman Sachs.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 29, 2013, 03:00 PM

8. kick

Reply to this post