HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Oh irony...today is Holoc...

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 07:05 PM

Oh irony...today is Holocaust day...and what did I walk n from?

A probable hate crime.

Never again...if we do not keep alert...

Hey, at least it was not the usual minorities...

10 replies, 889 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 10 replies Author Time Post
Reply Oh irony...today is Holocaust day...and what did I walk n from? (Original post)
nadinbrzezinski Jan 2013 OP
progressiveinaction Jan 2013 #1
nadinbrzezinski Jan 2013 #3
zappaman Jan 2013 #2
dionysus Jan 2013 #9
aptal Jan 2013 #4
nadinbrzezinski Jan 2013 #5
riverbendviewgal Jan 2013 #6
nadinbrzezinski Jan 2013 #7
riverbendviewgal Jan 2013 #8
nadinbrzezinski Jan 2013 #10

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Original post)

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 07:50 PM

1. What?

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 08:03 PM

2. Worst topic I've ever seen

Do you realize you wrote nothing of substance?
Real journalists don't do that...

Reply to this post

Response to zappaman (Reply #2)

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 10:20 PM

9. cut some slack.. it's hard coming back from a shootout and witing an OP. nt

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 08:46 PM

4. Isn't any crime a hate crime?

Reply to this post

Response to aptal (Reply #4)

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 08:52 PM

5. This one might fit the legal description of one

And this can earn the criminal a longer sentence.

Certain attacks, read houses of worship for example, are routinely charged this way and the DA decides on whether to prosecute the hate crime component or not.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 08:58 PM

6. Thank you for reminding me of Holocaust day

I got to recall how as a young teenager, in the early 60s, I became aware of the Holocaust on my own. I was awestruck reading and watching the stories presented during Adolf Eichmann's trial in Israel.

I could not believe that the Nazis killed so many, in mass shootings and gassing of not only jews but the gypsies, gays, old and infirmed and children. I could not believe that they made lampshades out of the gassed jewish children's skin. and the horrible experiments they did on the jewish people. I found out about the ghettos that the jews were put in after being rounded up before being put on trains like cattle to be sent to the many concentration camps.

I read of the ships of jewish people sent out from Europe and denied entry in the USA and Canada. How shameful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/None_Is_Too_Many:_Canada_and_the_Jews_of_Europe_1933-1948

I read Henry Wouk's work of fiction based on historical fact - WINDS OF WAR and WAR AND REMEMBRANCE.

and the sequels to those books THE HOPE and THE GLORY.

My son was engaged to an Israeli Canadian...She was quite amazed at my knowledge of the Jewish religion and history.
I am still close to her after his death. I am not jewish. I was raised a catholic and now I am an atheist.

I will NEVER FORGET, yet at the same time I also have sympathy for the Palestinians, who I think are quite like the North American aboriginal natives.

I am very concerned, afraid, that people have forgotten the holocaust...with the rise of the white supremacy groups in the USA. and in Europe. Even that former Italian premier Berlusconi praised Mussolini today
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-2122231

I feel America has gone in to a hatred of minorities and the poor since the 1980s... It is a very sorrowful time for America. You lost so much that you had gained. When there is no respect for the Holocaust then this is proof of the decline and implosion of what was once a great country.

Reply to this post

Response to riverbendviewgal (Reply #6)

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 09:13 PM

7. One of my mom's friends

She was a child on one of those ships. Her mother and her survived the war.

My dad survived the holocaust too. To this day I send money, now to the widow of his bench mate. His family hid my father's family. Before my dad passed he told me of some of his exploits first in the Resistance and later in the Red Army.

I lost my religion in my twenties...there is no god that could allow what humans do to each other in their name.

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #7)

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 10:15 PM

8. sadly, I agree

My heart wants to believe there is a god, because then I would meet with my son and husband who I miss so much. 'I now believe like you that there is no god. We can only live in the present and make our choices just like those who choose to kill 20 children and their teaches. Or those who want the poor and sick to fend for themselves so that the rich can live with more profit.

I am sorry your family had to go through hell on earth but it is good they survived to have you, who from what I read of your writing you have made the world better.

Reply to this post

Response to riverbendviewgal (Reply #8)

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 10:21 PM

10. We all have to try to make this a better world.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread