HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » I'm fed up!! What is the ...

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 03:08 AM

I'm fed up!! What is the current unemployment rate?

What is it?

Why is it acceptable now, as to 2005?

41 replies, 2695 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 41 replies Author Time Post
Reply I'm fed up!! What is the current unemployment rate? (Original post)
Trascoli Jan 2013 OP
MrSlayer Jan 2013 #1
JDPriestly Jan 2013 #6
greiner3 Jan 2013 #20
Pretzel_Warrior Jan 2013 #9
KM0201 Jan 2013 #11
greiner3 Jan 2013 #21
B Calm Jan 2013 #25
KM0201 Jan 2013 #30
bhikkhu Jan 2013 #36
quaker bill Jan 2013 #14
eridani Jan 2013 #18
quaker bill Jan 2013 #19
R. Daneel Olivaw Jan 2013 #24
RC Jan 2013 #27
elleng Jan 2013 #2
NoOneMan Jan 2013 #3
dem4ward Jan 2013 #4
Egalitarian Thug Jan 2013 #5
woo me with science Jan 2013 #28
duffyduff Jan 2013 #29
Egalitarian Thug Jan 2013 #40
leftstreet Jan 2013 #38
aristocles Jan 2013 #7
Pretzel_Warrior Jan 2013 #8
KM0201 Jan 2013 #12
Pretzel_Warrior Jan 2013 #15
KM0201 Jan 2013 #17
nadinbrzezinski Jan 2013 #41
Sedona Jan 2013 #22
LineLineLineLineReply W
KM0201 Jan 2013 #31
Sedona Jan 2013 #37
alcibiades_mystery Jan 2013 #23
KM0201 Jan 2013 #33
union_maid Jan 2013 #34
B Calm Jan 2013 #10
Egalitarian Thug Jan 2013 #13
B Calm Jan 2013 #16
Egalitarian Thug Jan 2013 #39
JaneyVee Jan 2013 #26
KM0201 Jan 2013 #32
LWolf Jan 2013 #35

Response to Trascoli (Original post)

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 03:15 AM

1. Still eight fucking percent.

I'm still out after a year and a half but there is good news, Wall Street is killing!!! Wooohoooo!!! Isn't that GREAT?!?!!!!??

But let's please waste time talking about guns and other shit that's impossible to fix and distract from the real problems we're facing.

By all means.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to MrSlayer (Reply #1)

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 04:49 AM

6. Thanks for posting your comment. We shouldn't forget that we have a long way

to go and that Wall Street is responsible for our high unemployment rate.

Reply to this post

Response to JDPriestly (Reply #6)

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 09:02 AM

20. "Thanks for posting your comment."

Good Republican talking point!

With so much to do and so little time to do it (historically, the incumbent president has somewhat of an exponential time frame left of an exponential time frame-see Nate's article; http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/01/19/for-second-term-presidents-a-shorter-honeymoon/--For Second-Term Presidents there is a much shorter Honeymoon; "However, it used to be that presidents enjoyed a “honeymoon period” at the beginning of their second term, with a large number of Americans who had failed to vote for them nevertheless expressing their best wishes."

So, to sum up, there is a very short time with which to accomplish as much as possible of President Obama's Sorely needed agenda.

The only way to do this is to 'keep the hounds at bay' as long as possible.

So, the way a good Progressive needs to act/promote/live is to stop and/or 'convert' the other side so the legislature can act and PASS THOSE BILLS!

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 04:55 AM

9. fixing guns isn't impossible. it SHOULD be done.

but thanks for your opinion on the matter.

Reply to this post

Response to Pretzel_Warrior (Reply #9)

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 05:37 AM

11. You're right...

It's not impossible to fix, but it's just not the time. Our country is in an economic crisis that we may likely not survive.

Anything regarding guns, is going to be a LONG, DRAWN OUT, VICIOUS, BRAWL. It will likely take up almost an entire session. It will not only divide our country, but it will also cause a huge divide in our party.

Right now, many in the country are scared to death, and it has nothing to do w/ guns. It's wondering how their going to put food on the table and pay the rent.

Reply to this post

Response to KM0201 (Reply #11)

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 09:03 AM

21. Enjoy your stay!

Reply to this post

Response to KM0201 (Reply #11)

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 01:23 PM

25. DOW is closing in on 14,000.

Six million new jobs created under Obama's watch. What is this economic crisis you are spewing?

Reply to this post

Response to B Calm (Reply #25)

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 03:29 PM

30. The one..

where, according to the Bureau of Labor, unemployment is over 8%. The fact the dollar is very very weak right now. The current debt crisis...

Main things:
End the war
Get everyone back to work
Start generating government revenue to fix this.

The administration seems to have a plan to end the war, and is working towards getting folks back on the payroll. That last one, is gonna take a while.

Reply to this post

Response to KM0201 (Reply #30)

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 03:50 PM

36. The most important point is the direction we are going

for the past four years, we've been going in the right direction.

A weak dollar actually helps with the trade balance, aids US manufacturing and jobs. A weak Yuan policy in China, for instance, is one of the main tools they used to grow their economy fast and kick our asses throughout little shrub's tenure.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 05:56 AM

14. Guns are a real problem

regardless of whether they can be "fixed".

Interestingly there is a pretty good argument economically that the economy will recover when people believe it has recovered. As long as everyone is worried and practicing personal austerity, the economy will be slow.

I expect the economy to improve during the year, because people will stop holding back on the hopes of making BHO a one term President.

Reply to this post

Response to quaker bill (Reply #14)

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 07:01 AM

18. Confidence Fairy = Great Flying Spaghetti Monster

After Reagan, family income has stagnated for two decades and then dropped for the third. The economy will improve when the 99% have somfe FUCKING MONEY to spend! The "recovery" has given them meremly 7% of the total economic gains since 2008.

Reply to this post

Response to eridani (Reply #18)

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 07:54 AM

19. I am not taken with the business confidence fairy

All business is a risk. If business people are afraid to take risks, they need to find another profession.

Where real confidence comes in is with consumers. No doubt this would be improved if they had larger incomes and occasional raises. However, being both a civil servant and a very small business owner, I can see how very small choices made individually effect the economy and in some senses create it.

When we are not sure we will keep our jobs, we spend less. I know this because I did it. There was a layoff at my government employer. It was done as a political move as the new Republican governor wanted to cut taxes on businesses, for no discernable reason because we already had one of the lowest tax rates on businesses in the nation. All that aside, no one knew who was losing their job, but 25% of us were going. I did not know which side of the divide I would end up on for over a year. I hung on to every penny I could. As it turns out I kept my job but a number of good friends lost theirs.

When almost everyone is in this boat, everyone does whatever they can to economize, pay down debt, and hang tight. This is entirely reasonable.

I watched the sales in my business change, from mostly small affordable items I make to sell to anyone, to become dominated by large expensive collector items that I make to sell to the few. With 50,000 people walking past over a weekend you can count on alot of regular folks with regular jobs, and only a small number of collectors. It has always made sense to me to attempt to serve the larger group. Before the bubble broke I could do so, since then there has largely been no product or price point low enough to regain consistent sales. I am pretty sure that this is eveywhere and only relaxing a bit with time.

There are tons of economic and sociological studies in regard to risk adversion on the part of the people as a whole and its role in driving the economy. An event like the crash takes more than just money to get past, and in fact to some extent is never past.

My parents generation grew up in the Great Depression, my Grandparents worked through it. Most of these folks that I knew well were frugal to the core. My MIL has savings I could never imagine getting to and still buys her clothes at thrift shops. My grandmother wanted a cadillac and could easily have just written a check for one with no risk to her wellbeing at all, but bought a stripped down economy car because she did not have confidence that the economy would hold. She left enough money behind that I put both of my kids through college with it and still have some left.

This collective frugality changes the market over the long term. It is a different and self-imposed form of austerity, but has even larger impacts. It is to some extent inevitable, and in part will not go away with hoped for higher incomes.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 09:51 AM

24. Hey why all the negativity?

If you're not part of the solution then you're part of the problem!

The economy is on the mend.

Hang in there!

All of the above is bullshit, and you my friend are frankly correct.

We should talk about guns, but we need to heal other self inflicted wounds in the USA as well. Wall Street/corp America keeps on shooting us in the foot over and over.

All hail the new economy!

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 01:59 PM

27. These are all pressing problems that need to be addressed,

This country is big enough to tackle more than one thing at a time. We need to try it sometime.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 03:35 AM

3. Why are you angry?

The people in charge of fixing things aren't wizards. They are small men hiding behind curtains. There is no fix to the litany of problems that face us. There are just myriad painful alternatives.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 03:37 AM

4. From the google chart

it looks as if 6-7% is avg over the years

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 04:19 AM

5. Who the fuck knows? They've been massaging and lying about the numbers so long that

I'm not sure anyone really knows. But I do know that there is great motivation to pretend that things are better than they are.

Most of the media and all of our "leadership" is concentrated in a tiny strip of this nation from Washington DC to Boston and what happens there is reported as what is happening in the nation. Unfortunately, most of us don't live in that strip and we live through what is happening where we are and the further away we are from that little concentration of attention, the less we are heard.

Reply to this post

Response to Egalitarian Thug (Reply #5)

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 03:21 PM

29. Demand is still low. That's why the economy remains in the ditch.

It has nothing to do with the current neoliberal talking points about "automation" or "lack of skills."

Our government has no intention of reversing course to stimulate the economy. Lots of unemployed means lower wages, lousier benefits, and a more docile workforce.

Reply to this post

Response to duffyduff (Reply #29)

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 06:58 PM

40. That is true. It is also true that this party and administration has failed to even propose,

let alone fight for, a sufficient stimulus.

Demand is absent because not enough people have enough money to buy. Krugman, Stiglitz, Roubini, and many other eminent economists all stated that even the stimulus initially proposed by the President was too small by at least two thirds and over a third of that proposal was tax credits which are useless as stimulants.

Just as you say, business wants high unemployment to suppress wages and that, too i bad for the economy.

Reply to this post

Response to Egalitarian Thug (Reply #5)

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 04:45 PM

38. +1

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 04:52 AM

7. The rate doesn't matter. If you have no job, the unemployment rate is 100%. n/t

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 04:54 AM

8. higher than when Clinton left office. lower than when Bush left

not desirable, but going in the right direction thanks to Obama staying cool and calm whilst the entire Republican establishment went after him politically at the expense of the American people.

THEM'S THE FACTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOT IT!?

Reply to this post

Response to Pretzel_Warrior (Reply #8)

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 05:43 AM

12. Actually...

To put it very simply, you're wrong.

http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNU04000000?years_option=all_years&periods_option=specific_periods&periods=Annual+Data

As long as the data used is consistent (and there, it is), unemployment is much higher than it was at any point during the shrub administration.

Now, you can EASILY make the argument that shrub was simply riding the coat tails of Clinton policies that had the economy roaring. It's also an easy argument that it's going to take this country a lot longer than 4yrs to undo that 8yrs of madness.

However, American's typically are very uninformed and have short memories. A vast majority of them, all they know is "Unemployment is a lot higher under Obama than it was under shrub"

You can like it or not, but that is the reality of the situation.

Reply to this post

Response to KM0201 (Reply #12)

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 05:59 AM

15. you are wrong. any time someone comes here with 2 posts to tell me numbers

are arbitrarily changed for Obama after years and years of Bush, Clinton and whohaa...well, I gotta think they aren't too bright.

Reply to this post

Response to Pretzel_Warrior (Reply #15)

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 06:07 AM

17. I think you need to re-read what I said.

I never suggested they were "arbitrarily changed" for Obama. I'm saying, the unemployment rate "is what it is". Fact is, it is higher now than it was in 05 (as the OP asked). Now you can make all sorts of arguments (both valid and invalid) as to why that is.. but the simple fact is... It's higher now.

Reply to this post

Response to KM0201 (Reply #17)

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 07:04 PM

41. Dd you notice the graph points down?

And that is the U6, higher than the U3... The change in how they are calculated came in the Carter administration

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 09:41 AM

22. Misinformed and misinforming....

Anytime during W administration would include 2009 at 9.3%, as it was under the W budget.

Reply to this post

Response to Sedona (Reply #22)

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 03:34 PM

31. W

left office in 09. So I must be missing something.

You all are so quick to label someone a "republican"... while I admit I am probably a lot more moderate than many here, I'm far from walking the conservative line.

Reply to this post

Response to KM0201 (Reply #31)

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 04:34 PM

37. Yes you missed the 9.3 unemployment rate in 2009 when the US was still operating under W's bugdet

W was still POTUS in Jan 2009. 9.3% RIGHTFULLY belongs to the GOP. Its dropped 1.5% under Obama's watch.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 09:46 AM

23. Uh oh...with stats like that, Obama might lose reelection!

Oh, right.

Reply to this post

Response to alcibiades_mystery (Reply #23)

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 03:37 PM

33. Anyone

who realistically thought President Obama was going to lose this past election, simply had their head in the sand.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 03:45 PM

34. Memories were long enough during election season

People still blamed Bush more than Obama. It's actually more complicated than that, but it's true that all the things that have contributed to the current unemployment situation happened long before Obama was ever president. Turning it around for real and in a sustainable way is a mammoth task and maybe a global one.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 05:30 AM

10. Under Obama 6 million new jobs

have been created. Not enough, but considering the mess that was left to him by the last republican president and the the current republican congress, I think it's a remarkable recovery!

Reply to this post

Response to B Calm (Reply #10)

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 05:45 AM

13. You must have a decent job. n/t

Reply to this post

Response to Egalitarian Thug (Reply #13)

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 06:05 AM

16. I have managed to

keep steady employment all through the Bush recession. I do have a skill that is in high demand, and maybe that is the key to employment?

If the damn republicans would just stop blocking the Obama job plan. Obama called for a joint session of Congress to propose the American Jobs Act, and they did nothing. The only good news is that the voters are catching on to the republican plan to delay economic recovery and (despite the republican obstruction) six million new jobs have been created.

Reply to this post

Response to B Calm (Reply #16)

Mon Jan 28, 2013, 04:20 AM

39. Thank you for your reply and your candor. Surely, you understand that it is far easier to give

this President credit for doing a great job when you are one that has kept yours.

Six million jobs is great (a figure that is far from indisputable in light of the fact that we have not been able to trust our government's figures for decades), but it doesn't even come close to the number that were lost after the collapse, and according to both numerous renowned experts and those of us that have lived on this planet for more than a couple of decades, is far from what could have been achieved had this administration really had our Main Street recovery as a its primary goal.

Just as surely as republican obstructionism has slowed this anemic recovery, Democratic Party priorities have blocked any discussion of effective strategies to turn this crisis around.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 01:38 PM

26. Can't we multi-task? Especially since the GOP BLOCKED 3 Jobs Bills including one aimed at Vets.

Reply to this post

Response to JaneyVee (Reply #26)

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 03:36 PM

32. If

our elected officials actually done what they were paid to do, yes.

With lobbyists, special interest groups, etc... nothing is as it should be.

Reply to this post

Sun Jan 27, 2013, 03:46 PM

35. In my area it is 8.5%.

It has been declining since the high of 14% in '10.

Of course, our population and our school enrollment has been declining, as well, as all those people without jobs moved away in search of employment.

The school I teach in, for example, has dropped by 28% since the economy crashed.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread