HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Health Care Law Creates O...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Sat Jan 26, 2013, 03:48 PM

Health Care Law Creates Openings for CAM Fields

More at link:

http://www.bastyr.edu/news/general-news-home-page/2013/01/health-care-law-creates-openings-cam-fields

As the Affordable Care Act seeks to shift the focus of American health care from disease treatment to prevention, practitioners of complementary, alternative and integrative medicine (CAM) see new entry points for bringing their medicine to the public.

Like naturopathic doctors (NDs), other CAM providers have identified specific provisions in the law that may level the playing field between conventional and natural medicine. They also find opportunities in the law's overall thrust toward health fundamentals like better diet, exercise, stress reduction and lifestyle changes.

(See our comprehensive look at how naturopathic medicine will change under the health care law.)

As states rush to implement the far-reaching law over the next year, CAM leaders says it's a crucial time to organize and show how their professions can help solve the nation's health challenges.

Here's a look at how the law may expand access to acupuncture, nutrition, midwifery and other natural health disciplines.

13 replies, 749 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to 2on2u (Original post)

Sat Jan 26, 2013, 05:02 PM

1. But, But... How will big Pharma and Insurance Companies make money if we're not a sick society but

a healthy one? There's no big profits in prevention. Only in treating disease and illness.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to dballance (Reply #1)

Sat Jan 26, 2013, 05:15 PM

2. Big pharma is now tapping into the intelligence of the body... they are producing vaccines that

have effects on prostate cancer, and recently they pretty much cured leukemia in a young girl... I applaud the miraculous strides they are making in these areas, they are using the power and intelligence of the human body and that is just alright with me.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/2012/12/11/19/11/girl-leukemia-free-after-being-treated-with-hiv
Girl 'leukemia free' after being treated with HIV

Emma Brooke-Whitehead had undergone extended chemotherapy without success when doctors at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia decided to try the groundbreaking new treatment about eight months ago.

"This treatment was really her only chance," pediatric oncologist Stephen Grupp told ABC News.

The treatment works by using a disabled version of HIV to retrain a patient's disease-fighting white blood cells to kill cancer cells.

Doctors removed millions of white blood cells from Emma, who was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia at age five, and inserted the new gene before pumping them back into her body.

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 26, 2013, 05:33 PM

3. That's what we need, more quackery.

Let's cure infectious diseases with placebo nostrums. Works every time!

And those with actual ingredients can be sold without any regulation, but a lot of bogus claims like Supports the immune system!! which is meaningless if you know anything about the immune system.

Thanks, but I'll stick to Science Based Medicine.

And talk about Big Pharma, who the heck do you think is marketing the sCAM nostrums? Why put billions into research on regulated drugs when you can market unregulated "supplements" without all that pesky accountability for safety, effectiveness and those other sciency things.

Sure, there are some that have some plausibility, but without actually measuring outcomes through double blind, placebo-controlled trials, the manufacturer gets to make all those obtuse and ultimately meaningless "structure/function" claims.

I think my favorite is the toxins sCam. The human body does a pretty damned good job about that on its own. But that won't stop people from going to a spa for their coffee enemas. I wonder if they serve latte on the side?

Reply to this post

Response to longship (Reply #3)

Sat Jan 26, 2013, 05:41 PM

4. Have you tried any St. John's Wort for that demeanor of yours? Just sayin'.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/is-there-toxic-waste-in-y_b_460720.html

How can we not be affected by this massive amount of poison?

According to the nonprofit organization Environmental Working Group, the average newborn baby has 287 known toxins in his or her umbilical cord blood.

If a newborn is exposed to that many toxins, imagine how many you have been exposed to in your life...

Do you think this may be why so many of us are sick and fat today?

The simple truth is that we are living in a sea of toxins and it is destroying our bodies and brains.

The two most important things you need to know to cure disease, create health, and lose weight are:

1. The role of nutrition in health and disease.

2. The role of toxins and the importance of detoxification in health and disease.

Unfortunately, you probably aren't going to learn much about them from your doctor. Most physicians today are still hopelessly ignorant in these areas. They were simply never taught about nutrition and detoxification in medical school.

Reply to this post

Response to 2on2u (Reply #4)

Sat Jan 26, 2013, 06:02 PM

5. St John's Wort?

Sorry. My vision is as bad as I want it to be. I do not relish having cataracts

Supplements are just drugs, drugs which, by virtue of being marketed as supplements (market speak if I ever heard it), avoid that nasty scientific testing to isolate, quantify, and study for effectiveness and possible undesired side-effects, like cataracts.

And Big Pharma is marketing them because they don't have to go through all those very expensive multiphase clinical trials to market them.

People are being duped by slick marketing for quackery.

For instance, Fashionably Toxic, about the toxin sCAM.

Reply to this post

Response to longship (Reply #5)

Sat Jan 26, 2013, 06:33 PM

8. Bausch and Lomb make a vision support formula called Preservision and Bastyr University

has a small article on it. You may be interested or not.

http://www.bastyrcenter.org/content/view/777/
Supplementing with lutein improves visual function in cataract sufferers and may slow the progression of the cataracts, according to a study published in Nutrition (2003;19:21–4). Cataracts are among the most common causes of visual impairment in the elderly. They are caused by progressive degeneration of the proteins that make up the lens of the eye, which eventually results in clouding of the lens. The cause of age-related cataracts is unknown.

In the new study, 15 individuals with age-related cataracts were randomly assigned to receive either 15 mg of lutein, 100 IU of vitamin E, or a placebo three times per week for up to two years. Visual acuity improved significantly in the lutein group, whereas no change was seen in the vitamin E and placebo groups. In addition, sensitivity to glare improved in those taking lutein, but not in the other groups. During the study, the cataracts did not progress in four of the five people in the lutein group, three of five in the vitamin E group, and one of five in the placebo group. No significant side effects were seen in those taking lutein.

Although the number of participants in the study was small, the results suggest that taking lutein improves visual acuity and reduces glare sensitivity in people with age-related cataracts, and may also help delay the progression of the cataracts. Vitamin E was ineffective in this study, possibly because a relatively small amount was used.

Lutein is a carotenoid (a compound similar in structure to beta-carotene) that is present in high concentrations in spinach, other dark green leafy vegetables, egg yolk, and corn, and in smaller amounts in kiwi, grapes, oranges, zucchini, and certain kinds of squash. Lutein from the diet accumulates in the portion of the retina known as the macula. Previous research has suggested that lutein protects the macula against the damaging effects of sunlight, and may therefore help prevent the development of age-related macular degeneration, the most common cause of blindness. In one study, a higher intake of spinach or collard greens was associated with a substantially lower risk of age-related macular degeneration.

Reply to this post

Response to 2on2u (Reply #8)

Sat Jan 26, 2013, 06:49 PM

11. Since I do not have cataracts, that doesn't interest me.

But I would rather not take unregulated drugs, marketed over the counter with no apparent regulation that would help give me cataracts.

I have worn glasses all my life. At fifty I developed moderate to severe double vision, which I find most annoying. It's a permanent affliction. (I will be 65 this summer.)

The poster above who suggested that I take St. John's Wort for whatever, apparently did not know that this unregulated supplement for depression has been linked to cataracts. It's funny, really. That a supplement millions of people are taking for depression -- it has been shown to be basically ineffective -- can cause cataracts.

That's what CAM is all about. Marketing drugs without oversight about their safety or effectiveness. No wonder so-called Big Pharma has jumped on the CAM bandwagon.

Reply to this post

Sat Jan 26, 2013, 06:09 PM

6. Nice sig line. At least you're not shilling for lef.org anymore...nt

Sid

Reply to this post

Response to SidDithers (Reply #6)

Sat Jan 26, 2013, 06:28 PM

7. I suppose you believe that the information contained within their site is woo, baseless,

pointless, hurtful and probably illegal. You could not be more wrong and I will challenge you to a test. I have mentioned on more than one occasion that I may READ there I shop elsewhere. Most of anyone who has pm'd me has gotten exactly that information.

I challenge you to read the section on prostate issues in the "protocols" area and if and when you complete it you aren't utterly blown away then I will stop defending them and their information. I won't stop reading it but I won't defend it either.

The reason I shop elsewhere just like most people is price related.... their stuff is premium quality but I don't want to spend that kind of money..... there have been times when comparing between Amazon and VS that the VS product at Amazon was lower than at the VS site itself.

Understanding the power of nutritional medicine and realizing that there are compounds in nature that are adept at halting for example the division of cancer cells and increasing apoptosis is something not everyone is ready to do. For that I give you this, as you already know, DIM is a component of the brassica family.... rather it is converted from a compound found in the brassica family.... one company has micro-encapsulated it for absorption and THAT is the form that has been used by medical experts for cancer therapies and clinical trials.

Now I want you to read this real slow and know that it comes from WEBMD.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-1049-diindolylmethane.aspx?activeIngredientId=1049&activeIngredientName=diindolylmethane&source=1

And while this is in the uses section, there is the disclaimer section that states there is insufficient evidence for its use in these same instances.

Diindolylmethane is formed in the body from plant substances contained in “cruciferous” vegetables such as cabbage, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, and broccoli. Scientists think these vegetables may help to protect the body against cancer because they contain diindolylmethane and a related chemical called indole-3-carbinol.

Diindolylmethane is used for preventing breast, uterine, and colorectal cancer. It is also used to prevent an enlarged prostate (benign prostatic hypertrophy, BPH) and treat premenstrual syndrome (PMS).

How does it work?

Diindolylmethane might act like estrogen in the body, but there is evidence that under certain circumstances it might also block estrogen effects.

There is insufficient evidence for:

Preventing breast cancer. There is some early evidence that diindolylmethane might stop or slow the growth of breast tumors in experimental animals.
Preventing uterine cancer.
Preventing colon cancer.
Preventing prostate enlargement (benign prostatic hypertrophy, BPH).
Treating premenstrual syndrome (PMS).
Other conditions.

More evidence is needed to rate the effectiveness of diindolylmethane for these uses.

Reply to this post

Response to 2on2u (Reply #7)

Sat Jan 26, 2013, 06:38 PM

9. Think you'll be able to avoid this, this time through?...

Long history of spamming Health forum with kooky conspiracy content, and ads for supplements he is selling.

You post:

I have mentioned on more than one occasion that I may READ there I shop elsewhere.

Could you provide a link to one of those occasions, because I don't believe you.

Sid

Reply to this post

Response to SidDithers (Reply #9)

Sat Jan 26, 2013, 06:48 PM

10. Long history of spamming Health forum with kooky conspiracy content, and ads for supplements he is s

That is 100% slander and I hope you and your pals in here realize that slander is a crime. You do know that slander is a crime, don't you? I have worked in the same INDUSTRY with my hands, breaking my back day in and day out and for you to accuse me of "selling" stuff is nothing short of ridiculous. I have never made a single penny off of anything here or elsewhere, it's just sad that you have to do what you do about things you truly don't understand. I'm not as offended as I am putting on however I am offended a bit.... but I'll get over it.

Reply to this post

Response to 2on2u (Reply #10)

Sat Jan 26, 2013, 06:54 PM

12. *I* didn't accuse you of that...

that was the message on your tombstone the last time you were banned. Those were Skinner's words. Take it up with him.

Now, about those many occasions where you use LEF for information, but bought your supplements somewhere else. It was the Vitamin Shop, wasn't it?

Sid

Reply to this post

Response to SidDithers (Reply #12)

Sat Jan 26, 2013, 06:57 PM

13. I have found Amazon to be a good source as you get offers from several different companies,

some with free shipping, others without, prices vary etc. Again, I bust my ass each and every day for what I earn, so save the insults for those who actually do make money off these internet tubes, I ain't one of 'em.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread