HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » A Message To The Virginia...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Jan 25, 2013, 07:06 AM

A Message To The Virginia GOP From A Plantation

Guys, what the hell? Seriously, what are you thinking?

I'm sitting here, minding my own business, trying to attract tourists to come enjoy my beautiful architecture, my incredible landscaping... and I'm really, really hoping we can get past, y'know. The other stuff.

But then you come out with this new bill to change the way we count votes in the state. It ruins everything. It makes me wish I could just get swallowed by a sinkhole.

Did you know I was the birthplace of William Henry Harrison?

This plan counts the votes of Obama supporters, or Democrats, or "urban people" - Have I used the right code words here? Do we know who we're talking about? - less than other Virginians.

But you need to do the actual math. No one on your side - at least I hope no one on your side - has crunched the numbers. Last election, Barack Obama won 51.16% of the vote. Under the new bill he would have won four of the states 13 electoral votes.

And do you know how much it counts an Obama voter as? (It's 4/13 divided by 51.16%. I'll wait. Do it. Get a calculator. You'll crap yourself.)

IT IS ALMOST EXACTLY THREE FIFTHS.

This bill counts an Obama voter as 3/5 of a person. I don't know if that fraction rings a bell with you. It was kind of a big deal, way back when. Women in fancy dresses, guys in gray - a lot of gray was in style. Is the light coming on now?

READ THE REST HERE (with links to sources):
http://paulbibeau.blogspot.com/2013/01/a-message-to-virginia-gop-from.html

26 replies, 2620 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 26 replies Author Time Post
Reply A Message To The Virginia GOP From A Plantation (Original post)
paulbibeau Jan 2013 OP
catbyte Jan 2013 #1
paulbibeau Jan 2013 #2
In_The_Wind Jan 2013 #3
paulbibeau Jan 2013 #4
In_The_Wind Jan 2013 #5
riqster Jan 2013 #6
tech3149 Jan 2013 #7
docgee Jan 2013 #8
paulbibeau Jan 2013 #10
docgee Jan 2013 #11
Sedona Jan 2013 #9
politicaljunkie41910 Jan 2013 #12
diabeticman Jan 2013 #14
diabeticman Jan 2013 #13
12AngryBorneoWildmen Jan 2013 #15
John2 Jan 2013 #16
MadrasT Jan 2013 #17
AlbertCat Jan 2013 #18
paulbibeau Jan 2013 #19
AlbertCat Jan 2013 #20
paulbibeau Jan 2013 #21
Scurrilous Jan 2013 #22
Oilwellian Jan 2013 #23
paulbibeau Jan 2013 #24
Oilwellian Jan 2013 #25
oldhippydude Jan 2013 #26

Response to paulbibeau (Original post)

Fri Jan 25, 2013, 07:42 AM

1. Wow

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to catbyte (Reply #1)

Fri Jan 25, 2013, 07:44 AM

2. I know!

I'm sending this piece to everyone that I can think of. Because I'm selfish and I want publicity. But also, because shouldn't everyone in America be talking about that fraction? Especially if the GOP uses this plan in other states (which is being talked about)?

If my stupid little blog can help kill this, I will be a happy dude.

Now if you'll excuse me I have 237 cups of coffee to drink.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 25, 2013, 08:05 AM

3. Kickin' it for an awesome post.

Virginia is now and always was beautiful.

Can you tell this person is still a Southerner in her heart?
I bet y'all can.

Reply to this post

Response to In_The_Wind (Reply #3)

Fri Jan 25, 2013, 08:09 AM

4. Yes. It is beautiful.

And it's important to note the GOP is doing this, because they're losing the popular vote here.

Reply to this post

Response to paulbibeau (Reply #4)

Fri Jan 25, 2013, 08:14 AM

5. The GOP sucks big time.

They haven't a clue about what America really needs.

Reply to this post

Response to In_The_Wind (Reply #5)

Fri Jan 25, 2013, 08:26 AM

6. They don't care about what America needs

They are only concerned with their own.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 25, 2013, 08:52 AM

7. Thanks for that, I'll send it to my sister in Hampton

She tends to fall into the simple thinking of the religious right. Mabey this will keep her questioning motives of those Grand Old Pricks.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 25, 2013, 08:52 AM

8. LOL really it's 3.007/5, can't get much closer than that... nt

Reply to this post

Response to docgee (Reply #8)

Fri Jan 25, 2013, 08:55 AM

10. I want people...

...to TALK about that goddamn fraction.

Reply to this post

Response to paulbibeau (Reply #10)

Fri Jan 25, 2013, 09:01 AM

11. Uhhh, no shit... but I'm pointing out that it is really fucking close to 3/5

and not just 'about' 3/5. That makes it even more ironic than what most would have posted about.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 25, 2013, 08:53 AM

9. K&R well worth the read

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 25, 2013, 09:02 AM

12. So the GOPs strategy going forward for 2016, is to replace the 47% with the 3/5ths?

How totally clueless can these folks get? They held their 'retreat' at a former slave plantation or in a room named after a former slave plantation owner, and it just shows how truly clueless they are. More surprisingly is the fact that the party of less spending chose to leave Washington, after having been there a whole week, to go to Williamsburg to have a series of meetings. Well they're not doing anything in Washington, why couldn't they have their retreat there? I'm sure they could have found a meeting room there. It's not like they were supposed to be on VACATION. I'm guessing that the opted for a hotel/plantation elsewhere is because those house members who are sleeping in their offices were happy to finally have a real bed to sleep in.

Reply to this post

Response to politicaljunkie41910 (Reply #12)

Fri Jan 25, 2013, 09:06 AM

14. Maybe it isn't them being clueless. Maybe this is how the CORPORATE/UBER RICH/1% who basically give

the GOP their marching orders think of us.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 25, 2013, 09:04 AM

13. THIS IS FREAKIN SCARY!!!

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 25, 2013, 09:13 AM

15. Super Post.

Thank you.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 25, 2013, 09:18 AM

16. Ok guys, I have

listened to this long enough. I have listened to pundits claim what is legal and. It is really getting tiresome listening to these pundits as if their interpretation of the Constitution is gospel and no body can challenge them. Everyoneelse is too stupid for them.

Comparing Nebraska or Maine's division of electoral votes to any other state has no comparison. Their system does not dilute the votes of the majority population in their states because the major urban areas of those states have no comparison whatsiever to larger states. Those state's populations are mainly in rural areas. So for these pundits to draw a comparison is just a diversion.

Now I'm going to read the exact words of the U.S. Constitution on electing the President of the United States. Under Article II Section 1. " The executive Power shall be invested in a President of the United States of America. He shall hold his Office during the Term of four Years, and together with the Vice President, chosen for the same Term, be elected as follows:

(2) Each state shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors , equal to the whole Number of Senators ansd Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress: but no Senator or Representative, or Person holding an Office of Trust or Profit under the United States, shall be appointed an Elector.

The Electors shall meet in their respective states and vote by ballot two Persons, of whom one at least shall not be an Inhabitant if the same State with themselves. And they shall make a list of the Persons voted for, and number of Votes for each. This is where these Pundits and people are trying to cloud the election process. Neither Nebraska or Maine's process would violate this. The majority of the popular vote in Nebraska went to Romney and the majority of the vote in Maine went to Obama. It has never been challenged because it never threatened the overall process. In the cases of states with huge urban areas, it does threaten the overall election. Just because it wasn't challenged in those rural states does not make this legal. Especially when the Constitution requires one person and one vote. That would dilute the votes of areas with larger populations. It would dilute the votes of cities like Philadelphia, Los Angeles or New York City.

So in my interpretation, this is UnConstitutional, and I'm specifically calling out these Pundits or Politicians such as Ed Rendell with these claims. It is cauase for people in those states to impeach the Governors or Legislatures for doing so too. And they are essentially reducing your votes to 3/5 the the same as slaves. And I would add this very important point also, the only reason any State is awarded a number of electors was because of the overall population within that state. It is attached to the one person and one vote theory.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 25, 2013, 09:18 AM

17. Wow. This is really good.

And very though provoking.

Kind of mind blowing.

Thanks.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 25, 2013, 09:23 AM

18. I was the birthplace of William Henry Harrison?

Wait.... WHAT?

Reply to this post

Response to AlbertCat (Reply #18)

Fri Jan 25, 2013, 09:29 AM

19. The Plantation who is "writing this" is Berkeley...

Reply to this post

Response to paulbibeau (Reply #19)

Fri Jan 25, 2013, 09:33 AM

20. The Plantation who is "writing this"

HAHAHA.... I completely missed the literary device! That's what I get for skimming while I do something else.

Reply to this post

Response to AlbertCat (Reply #20)

Fri Jan 25, 2013, 09:48 AM

21. Thank you, thank you...

I love it when the humor takes a second to hit.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 25, 2013, 11:18 AM

22. K & R

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 25, 2013, 12:05 PM

23. What a stunning number

I just tweeted and retweeted and plan on writing a LTTE to the Roanoke Times. One thing about math, it never lies. Thanks so much for exposing this sick joke played at the expense of Virginia Democrats.

I'll let you know if they publish my letter. So far I have an 8 out of 9 published success rate.

Reply to this post

Response to Oilwellian (Reply #23)

Fri Jan 25, 2013, 01:00 PM

24. Thank you!

Let me know how it goes.

Onward!

Reply to this post

Response to paulbibeau (Reply #24)

Fri Jan 25, 2013, 02:08 PM

25. My letter

I just sent it off...

There is a very cruel joke hidden within the numbers of the recent Virginia Republicans gerrymander Bill. President Obama won Virginia with 51.16% of the vote, and earned our state's thirteen electoral votes for that majority victory.

If we are to apply the new math our state GOP are attempting to legislate, one gets a very different outcome in the election. When you divide 4/13 by 51.16%, you get a number that equals 3/5. In other words, the Virginia GOP is counting all Democratic voters in the state of Virginia as 3/5 of a person.

Do we really want to go there, again? This mathematical fact is shameful for historical reasons. I hope the Virginia GOP will reconsider this immoral attempt to win at any cost. Perhaps new ideas that win popular support would be a start.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 25, 2013, 03:10 PM

26. has anybody noticed...

this Dread Scott again.... based on residence not race

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread