HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » If John McCain Knew About...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 08:32 AM

If John McCain Knew About Benghazi Security Issues WHY DIDN'T HE DO SOMETHING?

During the Senate hearing into the Benghazi attack, Senator John McCain grilled Hillary Clinton about cables she read, when she knew they needed more security, and what the administration was doing during the attack and after, why the President didn’t disclose sensitive information to the public regardless of what the Intellgience asked for, etc. In the midst of this questioning, John McCain says that he knew Chris Stevens well, and that on July 7th, Stevens expressed to McCain his “deep and grave” concerns over security in Libya.

Senator McCain: “You knew Chris Stevens very well. I knew him very well. I knew him on July 7th when I went to Libya to observe the elections and at that time, on July 7th, he expressed to me his deep and grave concerns about security particularly in Benghazi. He continued to communicate with the State Department and I don’t know who else as proven in those cables of his deep concern about the security there and the need for additional assistance.”

Why didn’t McCain do something about this information? He certainly knows Hillary Clinton well enough to have sent an email. He knew the House Republicans were holding up funding for security in Libya. Why didn’t McCain say anything then?

House GOP Was Warned Their Obstruction on Libya Would Embolden Our Enemies
http://www.politicususa.com/fy-republicans-truth-obama-libya-undermined-american-interests.html

Conservative policy makers were so alarmed by House Republicans’ actions that they wrote them a letter, warning them that they were emboldening the enemy. They summed their letter up with this, “To cut off funding for current efforts would, in short, be profoundly contrary to American interests.” Surely McCain remembers his friend Lindsay Graham (R-SC) saying House Republicans obstructed Libya because Obama was President. Should McCain not be held to the same standards to which he’s holding the Secretary? It’s not like McCain is not on the Sunday talk shows almost every other weekend. Certainly if McCain had information he thought was relevant, he could have raised a fuss on TV. He could have brought attention to the matter. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton even brought up the congressional holds to aid to Libya and the House holds on bilateral security assistance:

Hillary Clinton:

“With respect to helping the Libyans, and that also goes to the question Sen. Rubio asked, we will provide a list of everything we were doing and were attempting to do, but I will also tell you that since March 2011 congressional holds have been placed for many months for aid to Libya. We’ve had frequent congressional complaints. ‘Why are we doing anything for Libya? It is a wealthy country. It has oil.’ Disagreement from some sources that we should have never been part of any UN mission in Libya. Currently, the House has holds on bilateral security assistance, on other kinds of support, for anti-terrorism assistance. So we gotta get our act together between the administration and the congress.”

cont'

http://www.politicususa.com/john-mccain-admits-chris-stevens-expressed-deep-concerns-benghazi-security.html

14 replies, 2331 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 14 replies Author Time Post
Reply If John McCain Knew About Benghazi Security Issues WHY DIDN'T HE DO SOMETHING? (Original post)
Segami Jan 2013 OP
jberryhill Jan 2013 #1
Segami Jan 2013 #4
jberryhill Jan 2013 #6
1StrongBlackMan Jan 2013 #10
GoCubsGo Jan 2013 #2
Segami Jan 2013 #3
tblue37 Jan 2013 #5
loudsue Jan 2013 #7
Segami Jan 2013 #8
1StrongBlackMan Jan 2013 #9
amuse bouche Jan 2013 #11
JEB Jan 2013 #12
frylock Jan 2013 #13
Segami Jan 2013 #14

Response to Segami (Original post)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 08:49 AM

1. He knew how to get Bin Laden too

...and didn't tell anybody about that either.

It's just habit with him.

He thinks he's still being held by the North Vietnamese, and he won't give up any information.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to jberryhill (Reply #1)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 08:53 AM

4. HAHAHAHA!!!

Reply to this post

Response to Segami (Reply #4)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 09:47 AM

6. We oughta waterboard him and see what else he knows

Reply to this post

Response to jberryhill (Reply #6)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 10:34 AM

10. To mccain's credit ...

he is (about) the only goper that has come out against torture ... so let's just subject him to "enhanced Interrogation Methods", instead.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 08:52 AM

2. Great question!

The answer, of course, is that McCain is a self-serving shitbag, and this didn't serve him. Poor Grampy! First he has to watch Barack Obama take the position of which he felt he was entitled. And, now it looks like a woman might get what he couldn't. And, not just any woman--the dreaded Hillary Clinton.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 08:52 AM

3. Hey McCain, remember your bud Lindsey Graham?....

Last edited Thu Jan 24, 2013, 09:29 AM - Edit history (1)

"..Surely McCain remembers his friend Lindsay Graham (R-SC) saying House Republicans obstructed Libya because Obama was President..."

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 09:10 AM

5. knr nt

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 09:51 AM

7. Hillary needed to keep repeating to them that the REPUBLICANS WITHHELD FUNDS for

security. Over & over she needed to repeat it.

It's the only way republicans ever hear anything....that's why faux news is their education of choice.

Reply to this post

Response to loudsue (Reply #7)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 10:10 AM

8. If anyone came to the hearing with a motive & empty script, it would be McCain and his reTHUGS.

Mccain is nothing more than a bitter, old, foul-mouthed, war-mongering opportunist.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 10:29 AM

9. That was ...

my exact question(s) when I heard McCain say that. In fact, I sent an e-mail to my esteemed Senator asking (in short), "If you knew about Stevens' concern, what specifically did you do to come to aid you friend? Did you pass that concern on to anyone at the State Department? Did you publically attempt to get your gop brethen to increase (release) security funding? If you cannot point to specific, concrete measures you took to address your "concern"; then, you are as, if not more, responsible for Stevens' (and the others') death, than the person you are grilling."

I will post Senate mccain's response, should he bother to respond.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 10:58 AM

11. It must be tough

to get senile, irrelevant and have no dignity, all at the same time

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 11:25 AM

12. McCain would have done something, but

he was busy trying to find the men's room. Way past time to retire to of his 7 houses.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 03:50 PM

13. he was too busy plotting the capture of bin laden.

Reply to this post

Response to frylock (Reply #13)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 03:57 PM

14. Just imagine for a nano second a John McCain Presidency.

He's an elitist short-fused moron itching to start a war so he can play Maverick N' Chief.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread