HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Fontana, Calif., schools ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 03:35 AM

Fontana, Calif., schools get high-powered rifles

FONTANA, Calif. (AP) - The high-powered semiautomatic rifles recently shipped to school police in this Southern California city look like they belong on a battlefield rather than in a high school, but officials here say the weapons could help stop a massacre like the one that claimed the lives of 26 students and educators in Connecticut just weeks ago.

Fontana Unified School District police purchased 14 of the Colt LE6940 rifles last fall, and they were delivered the first week of December - a week before the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School. Over the holiday break, the district's 14 school police officers received 40 hours of training on the rifles. Officers check them out for each shift from a fireproof safe in the police force's main office.

Fontana isn't the first district to try this. Other Southern California districts also have rifle programs - some that have been in operation for several years. Fontana school police Chief Billy Green said he used money from fingerprinting fees to purchase the guns for $14,000 after identifying a "critical vulnerability" in his force's ability to protect students. The officers, who already wear sidearms, wouldn't be able to stop a shooter like the one in Connecticut, he said Wednesday.

"They're not walking around telling kids, 'Hurry up and get to class' with a gun around their neck," the chief said. "Parents need to know that if there was a shooter on their child's campus that was equipped with body armor or a rifle, we would be limited in our ability to stop that threat to their children."

More: http://www.apnews.com/ap/db_45577/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=HrSqkeAc&src=cat&dbid=45577&dbname=Top+News&detailindex=7

4 replies, 432 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 4 replies Author Time Post
Reply Fontana, Calif., schools get high-powered rifles (Original post)
UnrepentantLiberal Jan 2013 OP
tblue Jan 2013 #1
UnrepentantLiberal Jan 2013 #2
dem4ward Jan 2013 #3
UnrepentantLiberal Jan 2013 #4

Response to UnrepentantLiberal (Original post)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 03:39 AM

1. What could possibly go wrong?

I know that town. Had a relative in the hospital there. I went looking for a bookstore there--and there wasn't one. And this was 10 years ago when there actually were such things as bookstores.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to tblue (Reply #1)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 03:55 AM

2. I know that whole area was a meth hub.

Probably still is.

Reply to this post

Response to UnrepentantLiberal (Reply #2)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 04:35 AM

3. That's BS!

I live in a neighboring city to Fontana and while like most so cal cities it has its more established parts and its new parts. There are homes in Fontana that sold for over 1 mil in 07. Fontana has come up in the world.

Reply to this post

Response to dem4ward (Reply #3)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 04:53 AM

4. I was talking about the 80s.

But that was just what acquaintances said. You can find any drug in any city if you know where to look.

The neighborhood where I live now is safe and peaceful. Two miles away it's scary as hell at night.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread