HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Women in combat: Will the...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 09:19 PM

Women in combat: Will they have to register for the draft?

Now that the Pentagon is lifting its ban on women in combat, does this mean that women could potentially be drafted, too?

And as a practical matter: When women turn 18, will they now need to register, as men do, so that they can be conscripted in the event of a World War III, or any military emergency where the US government decides it needs troops quickly?

It’s a thorny question, raising what may be a difficult prospect societally. But the legal implications are obvious, analysts argue.

“The answer to that question is clearly yes,” says Anne Coughlin, a law professor at the University of Virginia School of Law in Charlottesville. “The legal argument is clear: If it comes to that kind of wrenching emergency where we have to press young people into service, there is no legal justification for saying that men alone need to shoulder that burden.”

The wars of the past decade in Iraq and Afghanistan have been fought by an all-volunteer force, since the US military discontinued the draft in 1973. Males between the ages of 18 and 25, however, are still required to register for the Selective Service.

Once the combat exclusion policy is lifted, “My belief is that if we open up combat arms to women, even on a voluntary basis, if there is a draft, we should be able to force women into those positions,” says retired Col. Peter Mansoor, a professor of military history at the Ohio State University in Columbus and a former US Army brigade commander who served two tours in Iraq.

http://news.yahoo.com/women-combat-register-draft-225900518.html

89 replies, 4729 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 89 replies Author Time Post
Reply Women in combat: Will they have to register for the draft? (Original post)
davidn3600 Jan 2013 OP
Kalidurga Jan 2013 #1
nick of time Jan 2013 #24
Whisp Jan 2013 #73
nick of time Jan 2013 #74
Whisp Jan 2013 #77
nick of time Jan 2013 #78
Coyote_Tan Jan 2013 #79
cbrer Jan 2013 #43
PDJane Jan 2013 #2
jeff47 Jan 2013 #16
PDJane Jan 2013 #35
jeff47 Jan 2013 #38
PDJane Jan 2013 #40
Honeycombe8 Jan 2013 #60
southernyankeebelle Jan 2013 #3
nadinbrzezinski Jan 2013 #5
southernyankeebelle Jan 2013 #9
nadinbrzezinski Jan 2013 #10
southernyankeebelle Jan 2013 #13
nadinbrzezinski Jan 2013 #39
southernyankeebelle Jan 2013 #54
ehrenfeucht games Jan 2013 #63
nadinbrzezinski Jan 2013 #70
ehrenfeucht games Jan 2013 #80
nadinbrzezinski Jan 2013 #85
Honeycombe8 Jan 2013 #58
OldDem2012 Jan 2013 #14
southernyankeebelle Jan 2013 #19
OldDem2012 Jan 2013 #26
southernyankeebelle Jan 2013 #56
Politicub Jan 2013 #32
southernyankeebelle Jan 2013 #55
Honeycombe8 Jan 2013 #59
jeff47 Jan 2013 #17
leftyohiolib Jan 2013 #20
southernyankeebelle Jan 2013 #21
jeff47 Jan 2013 #23
southernyankeebelle Jan 2013 #50
obamanut2012 Jan 2013 #67
cynatnite Jan 2013 #45
southernyankeebelle Jan 2013 #53
treestar Jan 2013 #51
southernyankeebelle Jan 2013 #57
nadinbrzezinski Jan 2013 #71
southernyankeebelle Jan 2013 #75
nadinbrzezinski Jan 2013 #81
southernyankeebelle Jan 2013 #83
nadinbrzezinski Jan 2013 #84
southernyankeebelle Jan 2013 #86
nadinbrzezinski Jan 2013 #87
southernyankeebelle Jan 2013 #88
nadinbrzezinski Jan 2013 #89
nadinbrzezinski Jan 2013 #4
ehrenfeucht games Jan 2013 #6
Politicub Jan 2013 #34
temporary311 Jan 2013 #7
ehrenfeucht games Jan 2013 #8
leftyohiolib Jan 2013 #18
ehrenfeucht games Jan 2013 #27
leftyohiolib Jan 2013 #29
ehrenfeucht games Jan 2013 #36
jeff47 Jan 2013 #82
demmiblue Jan 2013 #11
Starry Messenger Jan 2013 #12
OldDem2012 Jan 2013 #15
demmiblue Jan 2013 #25
TwilightGardener Jan 2013 #22
ehrenfeucht games Jan 2013 #28
TwilightGardener Jan 2013 #33
ehrenfeucht games Jan 2013 #37
davidn3600 Jan 2013 #41
ehrenfeucht games Jan 2013 #61
jeff47 Jan 2013 #65
treestar Jan 2013 #52
Politicub Jan 2013 #30
Nye Bevan Jan 2013 #31
Lady Freedom Returns Jan 2013 #42
PoliticAverse Jan 2013 #44
ehrenfeucht games Jan 2013 #64
cynatnite Jan 2013 #46
HeiressofBickworth Jan 2013 #47
ehrenfeucht games Jan 2013 #62
nadinbrzezinski Jan 2013 #72
Le Taz Hot Jan 2013 #48
obamanut2012 Jan 2013 #68
MadrasT Jan 2013 #49
obamanut2012 Jan 2013 #69
obamanut2012 Jan 2013 #66
MineralMan Jan 2013 #76

Response to davidn3600 (Original post)

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 09:24 PM

1. I never understood why women were exempt.

I don't have a stake in this though. I would have been exempt because of my eyesight. Two of my girls due to asthma, my oldest is too old to be required to sigh up she is 27. So, it's easy for me to say women should have to sign up for the selective service. But, it's something I thought was strange when I was 18 years old and in that age range.

I hope they do make this a thing though, maybe enough people will get po'd enough to say that they have had enough with our bloated MIC and they are tired of sending their children off to war to kill other people's children.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Kalidurga (Reply #1)

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 10:11 PM

24. I too never really understood why women couldn't serve in combat roles.

In WWII, women served in combat roles with honor and distinction in the Soviet Armed Forces.

Reply to this post

Response to nick of time (Reply #24)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 12:22 PM

73. I think it's for this reason:

men are the protectors and if a woman did as good a good on the frontlines as a man, well, that would hurt egos and make anger.

sorry to many men who don't feel like that - but enough do in the right power structures Do feel like that. They cannot accept equality.

Reply to this post

Response to Whisp (Reply #73)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 12:25 PM

74. Sounds about right.

My wife constantly reminds me that she can do anything I can do, only better.

Reply to this post

Response to nick of time (Reply #74)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 12:58 PM

77. I have a relative that does that

but not in the humorous way you and your wife do. She constantly batters her husband verbally about how low he is and how superior she is. It makes me sick.

Humor is great if it's in good faith. It can relieve tensions and can be just plain fun.

Reply to this post

Response to Whisp (Reply #77)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 01:02 PM

78. My wife does it good naturedly.

No animosity at all.
Sounds like that husband needs to get out of that bad situation.

Reply to this post

Response to Whisp (Reply #73)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 01:04 PM

79. Some will...

... And I work with some of them. However, the majority won't be able to handle the physical rigors.

As long as standards are held and combat efficiency doesn't drop one iota then fine. The end result needs to be how to project the strongest and most efficient combat power.

If that includes women then great. If not then nope.

Reply to this post

Response to Kalidurga (Reply #1)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 01:44 AM

43. Some of the women I've met...

Especially Israeli commandos, have no special problems in a combat environment.

As war has become less in your face and more technological, womens roles have increased. Women have been flying combat aircraft missions for quite a while now.

One I've heard of has a nickname among ground troops and Taliban. She flies A-10s...quite well. And I didn't even KNOW that Satan had a wife... (although could you hear these discussions at the dinner table? "Yes Dear, please put down the fighter plane").

Without wanting to open a can of worms about the necessity of ANY draft, if men are required to register, women should too.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 09:27 PM

2. Yes.

How one does that when children will be left alone, or when there is a religious objection, or when they are the caregivers for elderly parents I don't have any idea. I don't think the process is good enough not to cause real hardship.

Reply to this post

Response to PDJane (Reply #2)

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 09:58 PM

16. Um....you realize those jobs aren't just for the womenfolk, right?

Men have to register and all of your objections can apply to them.

The answer is they have a process for it. Conscientiousness Objector status, and deferments.

Reply to this post

Response to jeff47 (Reply #16)

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 10:26 PM

35. They can, but they usually don't. And no, I don't trust the drafters to have a useable process.

Concientious objector status, health reasons, and children don't come high on the military's priorities.

Reply to this post

Response to PDJane (Reply #35)

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 10:32 PM

38. Yet it seems like you only consider this a problem now. (nt)

Reply to this post

Response to jeff47 (Reply #38)

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 11:06 PM

40. No. I've been aware of this since the vietnam war.

Too many young men who were pacifist had their status denied in that war. Too many people died in that war for no damn reason, and a lot more came back broken in pieces mentally, or suffering from the effects of agent orange.

As long as the united states uses their service people as experimental animals, then the draft should be forbidden. It has to do with the continuation of the species.

Reply to this post

Response to jeff47 (Reply #16)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 07:20 AM

60. Single fathers are exempt from service. nt

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 09:27 PM

3. How is that going to be accomplished when women have children at home? Many

parents don't want to leave their kids behind with grandparents or family members. It's different when you volunteer and you want to do that. But I have seen what happens when parents are sent and the children are left behind. It ain't pretty. I don't think a women should be forced to go in. If a woman wants to make it a career than it should be up to her. But I will tell you this much I sure would send my daughter to another country before I allow her to go into the military. I am a wife and daughter of retired military. I sound old fashion. So be it. I don't care. To be honest until politicans start sending their sons in combat then I would wait and see. But I only have one grandchild and she is a girl. I sure wouldn't want her in combat.

Reply to this post

Response to southernyankeebelle (Reply #3)

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 09:29 PM

5. Easy, if a woman does not qualify for combat arms

She can fill a support billet.

Women want to serve in combat, it means daft...serious.

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #5)

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 09:38 PM

9. This is one place I don't believe in drafting women. Sorry this is where I part ways.

I have lived on many military bases and have seen the crap that is left when parents haven't done the right thing with their kids. Sometimes they rush and end up getting people to watch their kids who shouldn't be watching their kids. I am a firm believer one parent should be home with the kids while the other goes off to war. I am also a firm believer if a soldier (NO MATTER MALE OR FEMALE) has a child they should get out. I know how you think but that is just me. I have lived in a military environment growing up and married to a soldier and working for the military. That is just how I feel. You and others probably feel different and that is ok. We are just having a conservation and not an all out war. I know when I say something like this people get crazy and I'm called all kinds of names. But I am entitled to my feelings. I don't mean to hurt anyones feelings.

Reply to this post

Response to southernyankeebelle (Reply #9)

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 09:43 PM

10. And countries with a universal draft do fine

Serious. So women have to delay having children and all that to mid twenties, which many already do.

Women want true equality...it means a draft too. Otherwise we will remain second class.

And I say that as somebody who actually served (in another place) and travelled around with an active duty member of the Navy.

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #10)

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 09:51 PM

13. Yes in some foreign country they have mandatory service. I had 2 cousins who went in the

military years ago that went 1 or 2 yrs. I can't remember how long. I'm glad you served. I just don't want my only granddaughter to serve. She can do it as a civilian. I don't want her any where near a combat zone. My mother was in a combat zone during WWII. Or should I say on the receiving end of bombs coming down on her home by american bombs. So listening to her stories were enough to know I think peace is the way to go. I also think we should start defending our home country here and stop running around the world doing the dirty work for them.

Reply to this post

Response to southernyankeebelle (Reply #13)

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 10:38 PM

39. That is a separate discussion.

Whether we need to pull back from imperial designs. But if women want full equality it means willing to also carry the nasty burdens. Women will be allowed to serve n combat, selective service. It is simple really.

As is, when was the last time the draft was used? (And it should over the last ten years) One reason people are so blasé.

I suspected there was a kid involved. I am sorry, why should my nephews be subject to it and not my nieces?

True equality means nasty bits too.

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #39)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 07:07 AM

54. Sometimes equality doesn't cut it. Someone sitting in a ship or a plane is totally different

then a person who is a grunt on the front line. Sometimes just for the sake of equality doesn't cut it. No all things are equal. That is life. I will never change my mind and I totally respect your opinion. Women want to join the military and serve on the front line so be it. But for me I sure know my limits and I wouldn't want to be on any front lines.

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #10)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 08:06 AM

63. Freedom is Slavery?

Women want true equality...it means a draft too. Otherwise we will remain second class.

Reply to this post

Response to ehrenfeucht games (Reply #63)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 10:52 AM

70. So you are telling e Israeli women are slaves?

Okie dokie.

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #70)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 07:34 PM

80. Hell no! Sometimes they get uppity.

Reply to this post

Response to ehrenfeucht games (Reply #80)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 09:39 PM

85. And you know why? It ain't nothing to do with what you think.

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #5)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 07:18 AM

58. A single father isn't drafted. A mother will be exempt from service, as well....

if the dad is drafted, or there is no dad.

Expect a lot of illegitimate babies.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 09:56 PM

14. Israel doesn't have an issue with it....everyone is subject to conscription when they turn 18...

...men are obligated for 3 years, while women are obligated for 2.

Personally, I don't think we'll have a draft in the future unless we're faced with a major national calamity. I was 18 in 1969 and I remember the anxiety caused by the draft for the war in Vietnam. I really don't believe we want to return to those days. I also served in the early days of the all-volunteer service and that is a far more preferable situation than forcing folks to serve who don't want to be there.

Reply to this post

Response to OldDem2012 (Reply #14)

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 10:04 PM

19. Yes I know my brother was worried about the draft. I remember when they were pulling

those balls with numbers on them. His was way high. He did try to enlist at first because he wanted to go into the Air Force if he had to serve. But he was overweight and they wouldn't take him. That was then end of it. He was still in college. I agree with the all volunteer is better. But if we are constantly at war it isn't good for these men and women to keep going back and forth over and over again. We shouldn't go to war so easy. It should be the last resort.

Reply to this post

Response to southernyankeebelle (Reply #19)

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 10:14 PM

26. Agree 100%. The folks coming back from Vietnam didn't have to return unless they volunteered.....

....to do so. And we still have a lot of vets dealing with PTSD and other psychological issues.

Now, you have to go back to the Middle East every 6 to 9 months. We can only imagine what they're dealing with mentally and emotionally, especially since the suicide rate is so high.

Reply to this post

Response to OldDem2012 (Reply #26)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 07:12 AM

56. This is why I was thinking like this. PTSD is terrible to see. We ask to much of

our soldiers. Even today with a volunteer military its taking it toll going back and forth. It also is taking its toll on their families. We need to get out. Once we got Bin Laden our mission was accomplished and we should have gotten out. Bush will rot in hell for sending our troops to Iraq knowing darn well they had nothing to do with bringing down the bldgs in NY.

Reply to this post

Response to southernyankeebelle (Reply #19)

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 10:23 PM

32. Completely agree. War should absolutely be a last resort.

I was born a few years after the draft ended, and I can't imagine the horror of waiting for your, a family member's or friend's name to get picked.

Reply to this post

Response to Politicub (Reply #32)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 07:08 AM

55. Oh I remember clearly. They put it on TV.

Reply to this post

Response to OldDem2012 (Reply #14)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 07:19 AM

59. Women are not allowed in combat roles in Israel. They tried it. Didn't work. nt

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 10:01 PM

17. Why doesn't your argument apply to men?

Men can never leave kids behind?

Reply to this post

Response to jeff47 (Reply #17)

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 10:04 PM

20. havent you heard men dont matter

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 10:06 PM

21. If you read my comment below and I said single man or female. It applies equally.

Reply to this post

Response to southernyankeebelle (Reply #21)

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 10:10 PM

23. Except that you're arguing women shouldn't have to register.

Single parenthood is a reason for getting a deferment. That covers your concern.

So why should women not have to register when men already have to register?

Reply to this post

Response to jeff47 (Reply #23)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 06:49 AM

50. I don't think anyone should have to be made to register period. I know when my son

was in high school in his senior yr he was 18 before he got out of school he had to sign some papers to register. I don't think high school should be in the business of recruiting and sign for registration for the military. That is just me. Well after graduation we kept getting calls from recruiters. I told don't bother calling again as my own husband retired from the military and he was a recruiter and he wouldn't qualify to go in. He had medical issues. I knew he couldn't qualify.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 09:27 AM

67. SOP for this poster

She also believes single moms (including divorcees) and pregnant women should be kicked out of the military.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 02:42 AM

45. I had arrangements with my parents regarding my daughter when I was single and in the military...

If your daughter opted to join, you'd have no choice but to allow it. I'm sure she would want your support in her decision regardless of your opinion.

Reply to this post

Response to cynatnite (Reply #45)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 07:00 AM

53. I don't have a daughter. And your right I would support her decision. But if she didn't want

to go in why should she be made to register. Maybe she doesn't believe women should serve in the combat zone. I sure don't. But then it is just me. If you feel its ok then you should be able to. Not everyone is made for military service and it should be volunteer if they want to go in. Why does our government need to be in constant war. Why do we have children? I sure didn't have one only to be sent off to war. I wish these damn necons who never went off to war or were in the military stop this need to be macho and go off to war all the time. Lets give peace a chance.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 06:52 AM

51. Aren't men equal parents?

Yes it is old fashioned to presume the mother is more of a parent than the father.

Reply to this post

Response to treestar (Reply #51)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 07:18 AM

57. Yes men are equal. My son happens to be a better parent then his wife. Even she will

admit he is a better parent. But life isn't fair sometimes. Not all people are made for a military life. Now if a person has to register then maybe they should serve in places in need here in the states. Allow them to serve in civilian jobs here in the states for a year or two. Just think of the places we could have them help out in. Like in hospitals in support jobs. In police department in support jobs. Help in schools. That alone would be able to free up teachers to teach and the person to help the teacher. Give them a small salary. There are so many needs we have in this country. Not everyone is made to work as a soldier.

Reply to this post

Response to southernyankeebelle (Reply #57)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 11:16 AM

71. I will ask this stupid question once again

Tell me, when was the last draftee brought into the army from the modern selective service?

The Selective Service is there in case of a war lie WWii. The last draftee was inducted in 1972.

This holds zero water. We have a selective service, women should sign to it. This does not mean we will be bringing women in, or men, today.

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #71)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 12:37 PM

75. You have your opinion. I have mine. But we know the government forces changes on personnel.

I don't want my child no matter the sex being drafted now or IN THE FUTURE. You have the opinion because you served every woman should serve. Well not everyone male or female like that lifestyle. You said you were in the Navy. That is wonderful if I served I would serve in the Navy. But you must admit a person on a ship is not in the same danger as a person who is right in the immediate combat zone. I say fine if you want to be on a ship or a plane. That is up to you. But sooner or later the government will make it a choice for a person whether they want to go or not.

Reply to this post

Response to southernyankeebelle (Reply #75)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 08:52 PM

81. My husband served in the USN

I served somewhere else.

You made your point clear, it is not about your kid. No American should serve. I get it.

And kumbaya will break out.

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #81)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 09:07 PM

83. Whatever you say Nadin, whatever you say.

Reply to this post

Response to southernyankeebelle (Reply #83)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 09:38 PM

84. It's not what I say

Is ww2 breaking out and I missed it? The last time a draftee was forced in was in 1972. That is a fact.

Registering for the selective service and actually serving are two different things.

The chances of the selective service getting activated short of WW 3, given the last ten years...snowballs have better chances in hell. That is reality. And WW3, well nuclear war will mak a draft non existent. Though the war will be short.

Women want equality, signing for the selective service is part of it. Sorry.

Thus the modern world exists. You and I can't stop it.

Oh and something like the Conservation Corp? You kid me right...in the modern US that ain't gonna happen either.

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #84)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 09:41 PM

86. ok

Reply to this post

Response to nadinbrzezinski (Reply #87)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 09:51 PM

88. ok, ok, ok, ok stop beating a dead horse will ya. I like you Nadin but please its enough.

I got you already. Let's drop now.

Reply to this post

Response to southernyankeebelle (Reply #88)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 09:52 PM

89. Bye

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 09:28 PM

4. Yup

Not a bad thing. If women can ack it, go for it.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 09:32 PM

6. You've come a long way, baby!

Reply to this post

Response to ehrenfeucht games (Reply #6)

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 10:25 PM

34. "You've got your own cigarette now, baby. You've come a long, long way."

Great vid. Crazy time, but great vid.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 09:34 PM

7. Dont know if they will or they won't,

but they should.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 09:37 PM

8. The answer is "no".

Will they have to register for the draft?

They can resist Draft Registration just as many men do.

Reply to this post

Response to ehrenfeucht games (Reply #8)

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 10:03 PM

18. "just as many men do." really, i had no option except jail

women cant pick and choose where they are equal and where they are not.

Reply to this post

Response to leftyohiolib (Reply #18)

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 10:15 PM

27. Many women would risk jail to resist Draft Registration just like you did.

Don't discount women.

MLK, whose birthday we just celebrated, wasn't arrested with men only.

Reply to this post

Response to ehrenfeucht games (Reply #27)

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 10:19 PM

29. im not discounting women i'm counting on women to volunteer for the draft

this where the money goes where the mouth is - it's part of being equal. btw i didnt resist i asked what if i dont sign up they said you will be found and sent to prison , so i signed the damn card

Reply to this post

Response to leftyohiolib (Reply #29)

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 10:27 PM

36. Sorry, I misinterpreted your comment.

I'm counting on women to resist Draft Registration, hopefully in massive numbers.

Reply to this post

Response to ehrenfeucht games (Reply #36)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 08:57 PM

82. Why?

The penalties are: up to $250k fine, up to 5 years in prison, ban on federal job training, ban on all forms of student aid, lifetime ban on government employment, lifetime ban on security clearance, and no drivers license in 19 states.

For the illusion that the federal government won't find her if there is a draft, despite having her Social Security number since birth.

She'd be far more effective working against war in other ways.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 09:45 PM

11. The first order of business is to protect our own troops from sexual assault by...

our own troops.

Reply to this post

Response to demmiblue (Reply #11)

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 09:49 PM

12. This.

Reply to this post

Response to demmiblue (Reply #11)

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 09:58 PM

15. Bingo. The situation has either gotten REALLY bad, or....

....the assaults are being reported far more than they used to be, or both.

Any way you look at it, the situation has to be cleaned up.

Reply to this post

Response to OldDem2012 (Reply #15)

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 10:13 PM

25. Given the nature of the military...

I am guessing that the occurrence of sexual assault far exceeds what is actually reported. And the numbers that are actually reported are absolutely abhorrent.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 10:08 PM

22. If my sons have to go, your daughters have to go. I'm fine with it.

Reply to this post

Response to TwilightGardener (Reply #22)

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 10:18 PM

28. I'm NOT fine with it, whether it's your sons or his/her daughter. (nt)

Reply to this post

Response to ehrenfeucht games (Reply #28)

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 10:25 PM

33. Nobody WANTS a draft. But both genders should be eligible.

Reply to this post

Response to TwilightGardener (Reply #33)

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 10:29 PM

37. If nobody wants a Draft, then NEITHER gender should be "eligible". (nt)

Reply to this post

Response to ehrenfeucht games (Reply #37)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 01:35 AM

41. The world doesn't work that way

What happens if WWIII breaks out, and we are drawn in and need troops fast?

And dont say it can't happen. Have you been paying any attention what's been going on in Asia lately? Or what could happen if Iran starts lobbing missiles?

Reply to this post

Response to davidn3600 (Reply #41)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 07:54 AM

61. If slavery is judged a military necessity, then repeal the 13th Amendment. (nt)

Reply to this post

Response to davidn3600 (Reply #41)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 09:22 AM

65. Well, the feds do already have a list of all draft-age people

All such people have Social Security numbers.

IMO we need to either:
-Abolish Selective Service for everyone, and use SSNs if WWIII comes up
-Extend Selective Service registration to women

Reply to this post

Response to ehrenfeucht games (Reply #28)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 06:53 AM

52. the point is equality; if there is going to be one, both sexes should register

that there hopefully would not need to be one is another issue.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 10:19 PM

30. Great question. The draft has been pretty meaningless for a while

but I am want to see what women think before I form an opinion.

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 10:21 PM

31. How about for a family with children, in the event of a draft the parents get to decide

which one is drafted, and which one gets an exemption to look after the kids.

Fair?

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 01:40 AM

42. I say yes.

We must do so to stay equal to men. We must not give them another thing to point and us on.

We women must take the good with the bad.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 02:31 AM

44. If the last barrier to women in combat has been removed it is time for women to register

for the draft as well.

Also time to modify 10 USC § 311 from 'males' to 'persons'.

( http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/10/311 )

Reply to this post

Response to PoliticAverse (Reply #44)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 08:18 AM

64. To do it honestly, we'd have to repeal the 13th Amendment first. (nt)

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 02:45 AM

46. Sure...

I don't think we will ever have a draft, but if men have to do the sign-up so should women. I have always believed that.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 04:10 AM

47. I have the same objections to the draft that I had during Vietnam

It is nothing more than involuntary servitude -- slavery. Exceedingly poor wages, working conditions that the EEOC and/or OSHA would never approve and the availability of these military slaves makes war all to readily possible to carry out.

If someone wants to volunteer for military service, and the facts of military life and women's chances of rape or sexual assault don't dissuade them, then I have no objections to anyone taking that step. Unfortunately, the military is allowed to lie to potential recruits about the availability of job training and/or education, giving potential recruits the wrongful impression that the military is a solution to a crappy civilian economy and lack of jobs with upward potential. They prey on young, impressionable kids who are facing an uncertain job market. If the military was made an actual equivalent job market with safety measures, commensurate salaries, and adequate after-service health care, then people might legitimately be recruited into service.

My opinion hasn't changed since my brother applied for conscientious objector status when he was 18 during the Vietnam war. Since we were all atheists, he was denied CO status since at that time, only a couple of religions were allowed CO status. That later changed to "individual who has claimed the right to refuse to perform military service" on the grounds of freedom of thought, conscience, and/or religion." He and my mother and sister moved to Australia. My mother has since died but my brother and sister still live in Oz.

So I remain opposed to a draft for my grandchild as well as yours.

Reply to this post

Response to HeiressofBickworth (Reply #47)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 08:02 AM

62. My opinion hasn't changed since the Gary Eklund trial...

...where a group of us attempted to block the doors of the Federal Courthouse in Des Moines with our bodies.

Reply to this post

Response to HeiressofBickworth (Reply #47)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 12:19 PM

72. And we fought two wars with no draft for ten years+

This argument holds zero water anymore given modern-day experience.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 04:19 AM

48. Absolutely.

I've never understood why we are more willing to sacrifice our sons than our daughters? If the girls are now eligible for combat, maybe, just MAYBE the dittoheads in Congress will think twice about sending our young people to another immoral, illegal war for oil. Equal Rights means equal protection AND equal risk.

Reply to this post

Response to Le Taz Hot (Reply #48)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 09:29 AM

68. I said almost exactly this thing earlier to someone

I loathe the draft, and it should ONLY be used for situations like WWII and the Civil War. Having females in the Draft will help keep it from being used except in very dire circumstances.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 06:12 AM

49. Yes, women should have to register too.

Now... can we have our ERA?

Reply to this post

Response to MadrasT (Reply #49)

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 09:29 AM

69. THIS!!!

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 09:25 AM

66. Yes, they should

I am 100% against the draft and Selective Service btw, but 100% for women's equality in the Armed Forces.

I also hope women will, finally, be getting the same pay as men in the military.

Reply to this post

Thu Jan 24, 2013, 12:54 PM

76. Yes, as soon as the ERA is added to the Constitution.

Not before. There is no equal responsibility without equal rights.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread