HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » FL paid $1.9 million of R...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 02:41 AM

FL paid $1.9 million of Race to Top funds to be evaluated independently of US internationally.

From Politifact:

Rick Scott says Florida fourth graders are world's second-best readers

"I like measurement," Scott said during a Jan. 15, 2013, discussion with black lawmakers. "One positive, as you know: In the fourth grade reading, we're second to Singapore in the world, Florida students were. In math, we're above the international average. So there's some good things happening."

...That year, Florida used federal grant money to be evaluated independently of the United States -- the only U.S. "benchmarking" state for the PIRLS exam. Florida paid $1.9 million from a federal Race to the Top grant for this assessment and two other international studies, including the Trends in International Mathematics and Science Study (TIMSS) of fourth and eighth graders.

The Politifact ruling:

But itís important to note these rankings do not account for every country in the world. Or every state in the United States. In fact, Florida was the only state included in the ranking Scott cited because Florida paid to be included.Scott would have been correct to say Florida finished second in the study, but he stretched the truth a bit when he said Florida ranked second in the world.

It would have been more accurate to say Florida ranked second among 53 education systems that were included.

I do not believe that was the purpose of the Race to the Top money. $1.9 million to take an international test?

I have my own opinion about why 4th grade was chosen. In Florida students in 3rd grade have not been able to move to 4th unless they pass the standardized testing. Last I heard they could grow old in third grade....I hope they have changed that since I retired. Terrible policy.

5 replies, 607 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 5 replies Author Time Post
Reply FL paid $1.9 million of Race to Top funds to be evaluated independently of US internationally. (Original post)
madfloridian Jan 2013 OP
HiPointDem Jan 2013 #1
emsimon33 Jan 2013 #2
madfloridian Jan 2013 #5
littlemissmartypants Jan 2013 #3
madfloridian Jan 2013 #4

Response to madfloridian (Original post)

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 04:19 AM

1. kr. that's interesting about the 3rd to 4th transition. actually, when you adjust for poverty

rates, US students are the best readers in the world on those international tests. and low-income US students actually do better in reading than their low-income peers in other countries.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 04:32 AM

2. It would be interesting to see if the rank were maintained in the following grades

The Florida education system is a mess.

Reply to this post

Response to emsimon33 (Reply #2)

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 01:48 PM

5. People should be irate to have federal money used that way! Why no oversight of RTTT funds?

Reply to this post

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 07:44 AM

3. We have a winner.

I read your post earlier and did a little research and it turns out the organization responsible for these reports leads to some interesting players in the education game...

http://www.democraticunderground.com/1251279208

Thank you so much for the post. Great catch!

Reply to this post

Response to littlemissmartypants (Reply #3)

Wed Jan 23, 2013, 01:40 PM

4. Good research. Thanks for the links. Where's Arne's oversight?

It's like Scott is doing anything he wants to do with the RTTT money, and no one is going to stop him.

I am still wondering (don't know how to find out) how in the world it could cost nearly 2 million to get 4th graders in FL compared with the others in that group. Why so much money?

And I wonder what Arne Duncan thinks of federal money being spent like that on a specialized group like FL 4th graders?

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread