HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » CONGRATULATIONS PRESIDENT...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Jan 22, 2013, 04:30 PM

CONGRATULATIONS PRESIDENT OBAMA from a dissedgruntle supporter

To tell the truth, my gruntle has never felt so dissed as it did during the first four years of Obamas term. But that is not why I am writing this.

I speak only for myself. I could not post on inauguration day, but when reading threads that were, with titles like "Obama Decapitates Doe Eyed Children", I couldn't help but cringe. I have been more than critical of Obama, and feel much of the criticism on this board is deserved. But inauguration day was not the time for it. In fact, the poor timing made me feel that those reading such posts will be far less inclined to listen to criticism from those posters, instead remembering their anger at the intrusion during a deserved time of celebration.

I try to remember that first and foremost this is a Democratic board. The majority of people here are Democrats, and quite a few of them worked their asses off to keep us from having to wake up to "President Romney" every day. They earned the right to celebrate keeping an outright corporate fascist from taking over the power of the presidency. I could feel their anger at the seeming ingratitude for their devoted hard work in some of these posts.

Finally, I make the observation that in this country we do elect a President every four years. Part of what we pay him for is to keep us safe from attack. This President not only did that, he brought the mastermind of Al Queda to justice, whether one likes the way he went about it or not. This is a glaring contrast to the previous administration. Sorry, but if there are people in the world who want to kill me and my loved ones, (and believe me, there are) I want my President to do the job I pay him to do with my taxes. Better them than me or my family. Sorry, that's the way I feel.

I was moved by the historic significance of this inauguration. To be honest, I didn't believe the corporate state would allow it to happen. And, to be truthful, I feel Obama could be so much more. I think due to a lot of factors, he reached about 50% of his potential during his first term. And there were things he did and didn't do that just made me downright angry. The treatment of the Occupy movement is first and foremost among these.

I, probably like many others who felt let down by the first term, felt my hopes lifted again by a very progressive inauguration speech. I hope this time he means it.

Congratulations, President Obama, to you and your beautiful family! And a sincere thank you to all on this board and in the Democratic party who worked so hard to make this day happen. For now, my grievances can wait. And please know they are made with the sincere hope of seeing you achieve even greater things for America.

6 replies, 612 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply CONGRATULATIONS PRESIDENT OBAMA from a dissedgruntle supporter (Original post)
warrprayer Jan 2013 OP
libdem4life Jan 2013 #1
warrprayer Jan 2013 #4
southernyankeebelle Jan 2013 #2
warrprayer Jan 2013 #3
southernyankeebelle Jan 2013 #5
warrprayer Jan 2013 #6

Response to warrprayer (Original post)

Tue Jan 22, 2013, 04:36 PM

1. Almost any comment or faux pas beyond the nightmare "President Romney" is excusable.

Then there is the now-fictionable new "Justice Rightwing" nightmare that cinches the case.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to libdem4life (Reply #1)

Tue Jan 22, 2013, 05:14 PM

4. Good comment! n/t

Reply to this post

Response to warrprayer (Original post)

Tue Jan 22, 2013, 04:38 PM

2. President Obama speaks wonderful. I hope and pray this time he really will move to the

left. We sent him to 4 more years and we want him to protect our safety net. We want him to move the country on the issues. Climate change, gay rights, minority rights and immigration rights. If he can move on those issues then we will have done well. Plus improve our education system for all. Transportation like railroads across this country. More jobs.

Reply to this post

Response to southernyankeebelle (Reply #2)

Tue Jan 22, 2013, 05:14 PM

3. I take a wait and see attitude.

As I said, I will withhold my criticisms on this board for a while. There are other progressive boards where I can make my feelings known. I can do that here too, but I think D.U.ers deserve a break.

Reply to this post

Response to warrprayer (Reply #3)

Tue Jan 22, 2013, 05:17 PM

5. You are entitled to your opinion. DU is a place where you should be able to express it.

There will always be people who agree and disagree. I thought your post was informative and interesting and respectful. I wasn't offended and I sure don't think others were either. Believe me I have strong feelings on the drone issue but I am not sitting in the President's shoes who has to make those decisions. I sure wouldn't want to either.

Reply to this post

Response to southernyankeebelle (Reply #5)

Tue Jan 22, 2013, 05:55 PM

6. thanks SYB!

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread