HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » NRA: Responsible for the ...

Tue Jan 22, 2013, 03:20 PM

NRA: Responsible for the deaths and terrorism of more children in America than any other

organization.

School shootings, suicides, armed robberies, accidental shootings.... The list goes on. It's time America stands up against their powerful lobbies and demand responsibility.

18 replies, 1140 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 18 replies Author Time Post
Reply NRA: Responsible for the deaths and terrorism of more children in America than any other (Original post)
Whovian Jan 2013 OP
Mika Jan 2013 #1
Fgiriun Jan 2013 #2
spin Jan 2013 #3
Whovian Jan 2013 #5
spin Jan 2013 #6
Fgiriun Jan 2013 #17
spin Jan 2013 #18
regjoe Jan 2013 #4
Whovian Jan 2013 #7
regjoe Jan 2013 #10
Whovian Jan 2013 #12
HiPointDem Jan 2013 #8
Whovian Jan 2013 #9
HiPointDem Jan 2013 #11
riversing Jan 2013 #13
Whovian Jan 2013 #14
SarahM32 Jan 2013 #15
arely staircase Jan 2013 #16

Response to Whovian (Original post)

Tue Jan 22, 2013, 03:23 PM

1. How much did the NRA spend on lobbying?

Not much. Our pols are bought and sold like cheap whores.

Guess How Much the NRA Spends Lobbying Every Year
http://www.policymic.com/articles/11823/james-eagan-holmes-gun-control-debate-nra-still-has-the-numbers-and-the-money

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Jan 22, 2013, 03:26 PM

2. The NRA is a criminal organization

because they enable criminal activity.

Reply to this post

Response to Fgiriun (Reply #2)

Tue Jan 22, 2013, 04:06 PM

3. Explain that to a person who used a firearm to stop a criminal attack. ...

Fortunately I have never had to use a firearm for self defense. However both my mother and my daughter were able to avoid a potential rape because they were armed. Their attackers were not armed but were much larger and stronger.

Reply to this post

Response to spin (Reply #3)

Tue Jan 22, 2013, 05:14 PM

5. Look at the stats. A very rare occasion.

Reply to this post

Response to Whovian (Reply #5)

Tue Jan 22, 2013, 05:38 PM

6. There are no hard statistics on incidents such as I described...

only estimates.

In both cases no one was shot. My mother fired two shots over the attacker's head, my daughter only pointed a revolver at a man who was forcing the sliding glass door in our kitchen open. My daughter called the police and they responded but didn't catch the intruder. Since my mother lived in a more rural area she may not have called the police.

Gun Control -Just Facts

***snip***

* Based on survey data from a 2000 study published in the Journal of Quantitative Criminology, U.S. civilians use guns to defend themselves and others from crime at least 989,883 times per year.

* A 1993 nationwide survey of 4,977 households found that over the previous five years, at least 3.5% of households had members who had used a gun "for self-protection or for the protection of property at home, work, or elsewhere." Applied to the U.S. population, this amounts to 1,029,615 such incidents per year. This figure excludes all "military service, police work, or work as a security guard."

* A 1994 survey conducted by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that Americans use guns to frighten away intruders who are breaking into their homes about 498,000 times per year.

* A 1982 survey of male felons in 11 state prisons dispersed across the U.S. found:

• 34% had been "scared off, shot at, wounded, or captured by an armed victim"
• 40% had decided not to commit a crime because they "knew or believed that the victim was carrying a gun"
• 69% personally knew other criminals who had been "scared off, shot at, wounded, or captured by an armed victim"
http://www.justfacts.com/guncontrol.asp

Reply to this post

Response to spin (Reply #6)

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 09:49 AM

17. What has any of this to do with the NRA

fuck the NRA. They are a bunch of conservative hacks which you seem so adamant in defending.

Reply to this post

Response to Fgiriun (Reply #17)

Thu Jan 31, 2013, 03:28 PM

18. Calling the NRA "a bunch of conservative hacks" is a far more realistic appraisal ...

than calling the NRA "a criminal organization because they enable criminal activity."

I support the NRA as it provides excellent firearm safety training for all classes of shooters including the police. The NRA also offers many other programs of benefit to the shooting public.

In a society with over 300,000,000 firearms and 80,000,000 gun owners and the members of their families, we definitely need classes on firearm safety. The NRA has over 50,000 instructors. (ref: https://nra.org/Training/instructorLogin.aspx)

I feel it is fair to criticize the NRA as conservative. I personally disagree with most of the political propaganda they publish and even with many of their positions on gun control. For example I strongly support requiring a background check for the sale of any firearm in our nation as like many other NRA members.

NRA political activities are funded by donation. I throw all requests for donations to this organization into the trash unopened.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 22, 2013, 04:14 PM

4. So which of their policies

do you believe make them responsible for all of that?

Reply to this post

Response to regjoe (Reply #4)

Tue Jan 22, 2013, 05:41 PM

7. The very idea that guns are good?

Reply to this post

Response to Whovian (Reply #7)

Tue Jan 22, 2013, 05:49 PM

10. "Guns are good" is NRA policy?

Or do you just assume that because of their support for the 2nd Amendment?

Reply to this post

Response to regjoe (Reply #10)

Tue Jan 22, 2013, 05:56 PM

12. In a very generic way, Yes.

They want more guns in the populace all the time.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 22, 2013, 05:44 PM

8. over 20% of us children grow up in poverty; that's the real 'terrorism'.

Reply to this post

Response to HiPointDem (Reply #8)

Tue Jan 22, 2013, 05:48 PM

9. "over 20% of us children grow up in poverty"

Are you claiming to be a child now?

Reply to this post

Response to Whovian (Reply #9)

Tue Jan 22, 2013, 05:49 PM

11. U.S.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 22, 2013, 06:00 PM

13. Spam deleted by cyberswede (MIR Team)

Reply to this post

Response to riversing (Reply #13)

Tue Jan 22, 2013, 06:04 PM

14. Alerted. Now go away.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 22, 2013, 06:05 PM

15. Certain NRA leaders are in the automatic assault rifle business and profit immensely from it.

The NRA’s current Nominating Committee includes the chief executive of “Freedom Group,” which manufactures Bushmaster military-style assault rifles, Remington Arms, and Defense Procurement Manufacturing Services Panther Arms, and also on the committee is a licensed federal military firearms dealer.

That's a quote from an article on Violence, Crime and Corruption In America, published by the AFCP, which points out that James Madison wrote the Second Amendment of the Constitution to assure his constituents in Virginia, and the South in general, that Congress would not be able use its new constitutional powers to disarm state militias. That's why it states that the people in "well regulated militias" would be able to "keep and bear arms."

It provides a critique of Ronald Reagan's Comprehensive Crime Control Act, which is one of the reasons the U.S. has the highest crime rate and the greatest percentage of its population in prison. It is an unforgiving and inflexible piece of legislation, and the article states:

That legislation established both procedural and substantive laws that are terribly unfair and continue to haunt the administration of federal criminal justice in America. It severely restricts the discretion of judges and results in terribly unfair prescribed minimum sentences. That’s why the prison population has quadrupled since 1980 and includes a disproportionate percentage of Black and Hispanic males. And, because Reagan’s drug enforcement bill to fund the "War on Drugs" called for mandatory minimum sentences for all drug related offenses as well, it's why there are so many people in prison who should not be there.

Focusing on control, law enforcement and punishment rather than on social justice issues or crime prevention and intervention, the Reaganites also began to funnel a whole lot of money to equip police forces not only with highly advanced weaponry and hardware, but also with armor plated vehicles and "riot control" gear, to deal with protesters.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 22, 2013, 06:07 PM

16. you are sometimes given to hyperbole, whovian

though for the life of me i can't figure out how what you posted is in any way exaggerated or otherwise inaccurate.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread