HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Clinton Speechwriter: Oba...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Jan 22, 2013, 07:33 AM

Clinton Speechwriter: Obama Gave ‘One Of The Most Expansively Progressive Inaugural Addresses

Clinton Speechwriter: Obama Gave ‘One Of The Most Expansively Progressive Inaugural Addresses In Decades’

In an interview with the Washington Post's Greg Sargent, Michael Waldman, chief speechwriter under former President Bill Clinton, praised the progressive vision outlined in President Barack Obama's second inaugural address Monday.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/wp/2013/01/21/an-expansive-case-for-progressive-governance-grounded-in-language-of-founding-fathers/

“The greatest progressive arguments throughout the country’s history have been rooted in the language of the Declaration of Independence,” Waldman said. “This speech was really rooted in that tradition.”

In fact, Waldman said Obama's speech amounted to one of the most progressive inaugural speeches in several years.

“This was the most philosophically clear of any of his major speeches, and one of the most expansively progressive Inaugural Addresses in decades,” Waldman said. “And he rooted those arguments in the civic creed of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution."

http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/clinton-speechwriter-obama-gave-one-of-most-expansively

6 replies, 1096 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 6 replies Author Time Post
Reply Clinton Speechwriter: Obama Gave ‘One Of The Most Expansively Progressive Inaugural Addresses (Original post)
cal04 Jan 2013 OP
Little Star Jan 2013 #1
Bluenorthwest Jan 2013 #2
Hekate Jan 2013 #3
Demo_Chris Jan 2013 #4
MineralMan Jan 2013 #5
Cleita Jan 2013 #6

Response to cal04 (Original post)

Tue Jan 22, 2013, 08:01 AM

1. It was one of the best speeches I've ever heard. I loved it.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Tue Jan 22, 2013, 09:09 AM

2. I loved that speech and the entire Inauguration.

One of the best political speeches I have ever heard.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 22, 2013, 10:09 AM

3. It was great. KnR

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 22, 2013, 10:20 AM

4. Now to see if he backs it up with progressive proposals

Reply to this post

Response to Demo_Chris (Reply #4)

Tue Jan 22, 2013, 10:22 AM

5. He will. Some will be adopted. Others will not.

We can, if we have the will, give him a Democratic majority in the House of Representatives in 2014. That would go a long way toward accomplishing his and our goals. It won't be easy, though, and the time to start is right now. That is our contribution, if we will make it.

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 22, 2013, 10:23 AM

6. He gives great speeches.

I'm reserving my praise though when I start seeing words transpire into attempts at actions. I know he has to fight opposition but I'd like to see more positive steps in factual attempts at reform rather than words.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread