HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Georgia sued over banned ...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Tue Jan 22, 2013, 07:08 AM

Georgia sued over banned vanity plates (4GAYLIB, GAYPWR and GAYGUY)

Source: Atlanta Journal-Constitution

... Hours after The Atlanta Journal-Constitution published a story last week about the state’s arbitrary approval process of vanity license plates for motor vehicles, two free-speech lawyers filed a lawsuit against Robert G. Mickell, the commissioner of the Georgia Department of Driver Services.

The suit contends that the state violated the constitutional rights of James Cyrus Gilbert when it rejected his application for the tags 4GAYLIB, GAYPWR and GAYGUY. All three vanity plates are on the list of vanity plates banned by the state, although the state has approved plates expressing some political or religious expressions.

... “I think it’s pretty clear the statute has been applied arbitrary without regard to any state interest,” said Cynthia Counts, a free speech lawyer representing Gilbert. “And the restrictions have reflected viewpoint discrimination and that alone should be fatal.”

By denying speech that supports gay rights, while allowing conservative, religious speech like JESUS4U, Counts argues the state is favoring one political belief or philosophy over another.

Read more: http://www.ajc.com/news/news/isue4u-state-sued-over-banned-vanity-plates/nT3th/

2 replies, 534 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 2 replies Author Time Post
Reply Georgia sued over banned vanity plates (4GAYLIB, GAYPWR and GAYGUY) (Original post)
Newsjock Jan 2013 OP
Scuba Jan 2013 #1
dipsydoodle Jan 2013 #2

Response to Newsjock (Original post)

Tue Jan 22, 2013, 07:10 AM

1. RGMKLSUX

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Newsjock (Original post)

Tue Jan 22, 2013, 07:22 AM

2. Inconsistencies

create absurdities - in this case overtly biased ones.

Out of curiousity- I notice that each of the three examples quoted have got 6 letters. Is that a restriction or a coincidence ? In the UK front and back plates are same, issued by the national licencing authority , in a specified font. Its really only previously issued plates which spell or signify anything which change hands. At one time I had M1LLF, which were the companies initials, bought long before a similar expression had a different connotation.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Reply to this thread