HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » CNN: "Some people sa...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Jan 21, 2013, 09:12 PM

CNN: "Some people say" MLK was a conservative

Your lib'rul media in action, folks.
------------------
Look, we have found a single “article” that is a great example of everything wrong with journalism and a lot of things wrong with conservatism, ALL AT THE SAME TIME! Pretty amazing, right? It is not often that we get to make fun of CNN, contemporary American journalism, and conservatives all in the same post, so this is a rare treat! Ready? In but a few moments, you will be exposed to a torrential downpour of idiocy, and forced to examine the possibility that American journalism has basically turned into community theater.

As the nation celebrates King’s national holiday Monday, a new battle has erupted over his legacy. Some conservatives are saying it’s time for them to reclaim the legacy of King, whose message of self-help, patriotism and a colorblind America, they say, was “fundamentally conservative.”
But those who marched with King and studied his work say that notion is absurd. The political class that once opposed King, they argue, is now trying to distort his message.

Look at all the stupid things that happened just in these first couple paragraphs. There are so many, we will just discuss a few of them. So here we have Peter Schramm, a “conservative historian,” who is presented alongside people who “marched with King,” and people who “studied his work,” i.e. actual civil rights activists and bona fide scholars. This is to avoid the appearance of “bias,” and so instead of treating Peter Schramm’s ridiculous argument as a ridiculous argument, which it is, and Peter Schramm as kind of ignorant about the Southern Freedom Movement, which he seems to be, he is accorded authority equal to that of ACTUAL scholars and historians, and presented alongside them as though his credibility is equivalent to theirs, which it is not.

http://wonkette.com/497759/cnn-was-martin-luther-king-jr-conservative-some-say-but-others-dont#cCO538ctgxMEyrG8.99

----
Naturally, the Freepers have a thread up today to push this.

So, just to review, conservative history tells us:
1. Hitler was a dyed-in-the wool liberal
2. Communism and Nazisim are interchangable, and all lib'ruls are both
3. MLK was really an Ayn Rand-er
4. The civil war wasn't about slavery and the south wasn't racist
5. The founding fathers were all Reaganists and members of the religious right
5. Obama was not born in the U.S. and Jimi Hendrix was his dad (seriously, they really have tried that line)

and these folks accused Howard Zinn of being a revisionist...

18 replies, 1506 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread

Response to Adenoid_Hynkel (Original post)

Mon Jan 21, 2013, 09:15 PM

1. MLK was leary of concentrated economic power.

He also opposed the nonsense in Vietnam.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Mon Jan 21, 2013, 09:24 PM

2. CNN is rapidly joining FOX News at the bottom of the MSM. nt.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 21, 2013, 09:27 PM

3. He also didn't care if you were gay.

Reply to this post

Response to okwmember (Reply #3)

Mon Jan 21, 2013, 09:36 PM

6. They should read this speech...

A true revolution of values will soon cause us to question the fairness and justice of many of our past and present policies. n the one hand we are called to play the good Samaritan on life’s roadside; but that will be only an initial act. One day we must come to see that the whole Jericho road must be transformed so that men and women will not be constantly beaten and robbed as they make their journey on life’s highway. True compassion is more than flinging a coin to a beggar; it is not haphazard and superficial. It comes to see that an edifice which produces beggars needs restructuring. A true revolution of values will soon look uneasily on the glaring contrast of poverty and wealth. With righteous indignation, it will look across the seas and see individual capitalists of the West investing huge sums of money in Asia, Africa and South America, only to take the profits out with no concern for the social betterment of the countries, and say: “This is not just.” It will look at our alliance with the landed gentry of Latin America and say: “This is not just.” The Western arrogance of feeling that it has everything to teach others and nothing to learn from them is not just. A true revolution of values will lay hands on the world order and say of war: “This way of settling differences is not just.” This business of burning human beings with napalm, of filling our nation’s homes with orphans and widows, of injecting poisonous drugs of hate into veins of people normally humane, of sending men home from dark and bloody battlefields physically handicapped and psychologically deranged, cannot be reconciled with wisdom, justice and love. A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.

http://antiwar.com/blog/2013/01/20/a-time-comes-when-silence-is-betrayal/

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 21, 2013, 09:30 PM

4. I really want to hear someone say, "Well, no one with a brain says that." in response to the

"some people say" bullshit.

Reply to this post

Response to Squinch (Reply #4)

Mon Jan 21, 2013, 11:09 PM

9. It's just another instance of taking "balance" to the extreme

If we have to give credence to political nuttery in the interest of "balance", dog help us.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 21, 2013, 09:30 PM

5. I hope they get reemed out for this from the members of his family. How dare them even inject

politics into his legacy.

Reply to this post

Response to jillan (Reply #5)

Mon Jan 21, 2013, 11:15 PM

10. His niece

Was on the news last night talking about how he was completely against abortion and would fight tooth and nail against liberals who were for it.

Don't know if it was true, but it is what she stated.

Reply to this post

Response to Jarhead1775 (Reply #10)

Mon Jan 21, 2013, 11:21 PM

11. Yet

"A nation that continues to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death"-MLK jr. NOT A REPUBLICAN.

Reply to this post

Response to Jarhead1775 (Reply #10)

Mon Jan 21, 2013, 11:32 PM

12. His niece is a die-hard, pro-life republican.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alveda_King

His son is not
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Luther_King_III

It's kinda hard to put words into someone's mouth after they have passed away - you think?

Reply to this post

Response to jillan (Reply #12)

Mon Jan 21, 2013, 11:37 PM

14. See your point

But post I replied to was talking about family and their reaction. Something you wish for opens another can of worms was my point. I'm not good at making points, but I hope that explains it

Reply to this post

Response to jillan (Reply #12)

Mon Jan 21, 2013, 11:52 PM

16. And yet, there are fewer abortions during

Democratic Admins than republicon ones.

"If You Are Truly Pro Life You'd Vote Democratic"

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/faithfuldemocrats/2012/09/if-you-are-truly-pro-life-youd-vote-democrat/

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 21, 2013, 10:38 PM

7. And they still have the temerity to call themselves "The Party of Lincoln"

As if Abe would have associated himself with Weeping Boner and Batsh*t Bachmann.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 21, 2013, 10:39 PM

8. MLK jr paved the way for the success of Pres.Obama. Do they still want to claim him now?

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 21, 2013, 11:32 PM

13. "When you are right you cannot be too radical; when you are wrong, you cannot be too conservative"

- Martin Luther King Jr.

'nuff said

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 21, 2013, 11:48 PM

15. cnn should try Thinking! And, forget about Labels.

Look at his actions and his words.. do they sound like a greedy asshole con?

They tried that same shit with Johnny Cash.. Roseanne was having None of it..

'John Boehner: Stop Using My Dad's Name as a Punchline, You Asshat.'

http://tpmlivewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/11/john-boehner-stop-using-my-dads-name-as-a-punchline-you-asshat.php?ref=fpb

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 21, 2013, 11:54 PM

17. SOME People SAY

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 21, 2013, 11:56 PM

18. Fox News, ironically, debunked that lie the best I ever saw

when Glenn Beck attempted to co-opt Martin Luther King a couple of years ago, it mostly went un-commented on on cable news (i'm sure I missed some).

But when Chris Wallace interviewed Beck on his Sunday show, he exposed the lie surprisingly well.

edit: video at this link

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2010/08/29/beck-dismisses-economic-civil-rights/

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread