HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Majority of Tax dollars g...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Mon Jan 21, 2013, 02:33 PM

Majority of Tax dollars go to the Pentagon(Trillions missing in 2001) Which Cannot Be Audited? WTF!!

They are blaming senior citizens and the 'least' among us for the debt they created, meanwhile most of the money is going to war and they don't even have to account for it.

Supposedly the war in Iraq is over, Afghanistan is winding down, Bush more than doubled the pentagon budget for this bullshit, and it is still climbing higher.

They are using our treasury to loot the nation for the military industrial complex and they are blaming it on us, attempting to steal our retirement, ruin our schools, allow our entire infrastructure to fall into disrepair...this is bullshit!

The Government Accountability Office said Thursday that it could not complete an audit of the federal government, pointing to serious problems with the Department of Defense.

Along with the Pentagon, the GAO cited the Department of Homeland Security as having problems so significant that it was impossible for investigators to audit it. The DHS got a qualified audit for fiscal year 2012, and is seeking an unqualified audit for 2013.

The report released by the GAO on Friday indicates serious accounting problems at two of the largest government agencies: the Pentagon and the Department of Homeland Security. The Department of Defense has a net cost of $799.1 billion to the federal budget, while the Department of Homeland Security has a net cost of $48.7 billion.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/18/gao-audit-federal-government-defense_n_2507097.html

This is an unbelievable justice, one we should not accept.

Martin Luther King showed us the way, we must work for peace, the way they have folks out there working for war.
Our only hope today lies in our ability to recapture the revolutionary spirit and go out into a sometimes hostile world declaring eternal hostility to poverty, racism, and militarism.

We must move past indecision to action. We must find new ways to speak for peace in Vietnam and justice throughout the developing world, a world that borders on our doors. If we do not act we shall surely be dragged down the long, dark and shameful corridors of time reserved for those who possess power without compassion, might without morality, and strength without sight.

audio from Beyond Vietnam

mlk1 http://tinyurl.com/792oowm
mlk2 http://tinyurl.com/7pp7mbn
mlk3 http://tinyurl.com/6pw6tac
mlk4 http://tinyurl.com/74qfdbc
mlk5 http://tinyurl.com/7znbsu3
mlk6 http://tinyurl.com/6t3aq59

12 replies, 823 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 12 replies Author Time Post
Reply Majority of Tax dollars go to the Pentagon(Trillions missing in 2001) Which Cannot Be Audited? WTF!! (Original post)
Fight2Win Jan 2013 OP
Politicalboi Jan 2013 #1
DearHeart Jan 2013 #10
think Jan 2013 #2
RobertEarl Jan 2013 #3
lovuian Jan 2013 #4
whatchamacallit Jan 2013 #5
davidthegnome Jan 2013 #6
Fight2Win Jan 2013 #7
hughee99 Jan 2013 #8
hay rick Jan 2013 #9
Fight2Win Jan 2013 #11
Egalitarian Thug Jan 2013 #12

Response to Fight2Win (Original post)

Mon Jan 21, 2013, 02:47 PM

1. Shhhhh!

We were attacked the very next day 2.3 Trillion was reported missing. This isn't the time to talk about it. And then it ALL went away with the attacks on 9/11. Who could have ever timed something like that?

IMO all part of their plan. If I were to report bad news that I could get in trouble over, I would hope for something to top that, and Donald Rumsfailed had control over that. NO reporter has asked about the money again as far as I know. It's now probably part of National Security cover up.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Politicalboi (Reply #1)

Mon Jan 21, 2013, 05:48 PM

10. I thought I was the only one who remembered that...thought I was "misremembering" what I had heard!

Like you said, it's amazing that NOBODY ever asked about that missing money! I would like to know where the hell 2.3 Trillion dollars went and how in the world you could be missing that much money and not have to be held accountable! I know it's the War Department, but come on!!

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 21, 2013, 02:53 PM

2. K&R Money for nothing.....

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 21, 2013, 03:00 PM

3. Our last president's advice: Fruedian slip?

Something like: "There are people out there who will never stop trying to destroy America, and neither will we...". Meaning he and republicans.

Here's to more MLK and less Bush.

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 21, 2013, 03:35 PM

4. this is really the problem

the military industrial complex stealing America's future
it is why we have to be at war all the time

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 21, 2013, 03:46 PM

5. It was used to pay for "Transformative Events"

The rest is history...

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 21, 2013, 04:12 PM

6. Absolutely right, but...

Who's going to do anything about it? Can we possibly put enough pressure on elected officials to take on the MIC? I doubt it. Too damn big, too rich, too powerful.

Reply to this post

Response to davidthegnome (Reply #6)

Mon Jan 21, 2013, 04:52 PM

7. President Obama just called for collective action

nt

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 21, 2013, 05:16 PM

8. Isn't Federal Tax revenue around 2 Trillion dollars? n/t

Reply to this post

Mon Jan 21, 2013, 05:38 PM

9. This is old news.

From the Wikipedia article on our military budget: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_budget_of_the_United_States

The US Government Accountability Office (GAO) was unable to provide an audit opinion on the 2010 financial statements of the US Government because of 'widespread material internal control weaknesses, significant uncertainties, and other limitations'. The GAO cited as the principal obstacle to its provision of an audit opinion 'serious financial management problems at the Department of Defense that made its financial statements unauditable'.
Chief Financial Officer and Under Secretary of Defense Robert F. Hale acknowledged enterprise-wide problems with systems and processes, while the DoD's Inspector General reported 'material internal control weaknesses ... that affect the safeguarding of assets, proper use of funds, and impair the prevention and identification of fraud, waste, and abuse'. Further management discussion in the FY 2010 DoD Financial Report states 'it is not feasible to deploy a vast number of accountants to manually reconcile our books' and concludes that 'although the financial statements are not auditable for FY 2010, the Department's financial managers are meeting warfighter needs'.
Again in 2011, the GAO could not "render an opinion on the 2011 consolidated financial statements of the federal government", with a major obstacle again being "serious financial management problems at the Department of Defense (DOD) that made its financial statements unauditable".

In December 2011, the GAO found that "neither the Navy nor the Marine Corps have implemented effective processes for reconciling their FBWT." According to the GAO, "An agency’s FBWT account is similar in concept to a corporate bank account. The difference is that instead of a cash balance, FBWT represents unexpended spending authority in appropriations." In addition, "As of April 2011, there were more than $22 billion unmatched disbursements and collections affecting more than 10,000 lines of accounting.

FBWT is "funds balance with treasury."

I brought this to the attention of Patrick Murphy's campaign before his debate with Allen West- he is a CPA and West was posturing as a military expert. The moderators of the only debate between Murphy and West took foreign affairs and the military off the table by stipulating in advance that both candidates were in agreement with their party's positions and therefore there was no need to rehash the predictable. I have no idea if Murphy would have used the information in a debate or whether he will take an interest in military budgets now that he is in Washington. Truthfully, I expect not. Like I say, this is an ongoing story that has received little coverage to date. Embarrassing the Pentagon is not a favorite activity of our elected representatives.

Reply to this post

Response to hay rick (Reply #9)

Tue Jan 22, 2013, 04:35 PM

11. Ridiculous! They would never accept it from the Taxpayer, we should not accept it from Tax Spenders

nt

Reply to this post

Tue Jan 22, 2013, 04:52 PM

12. 53% of every tax dollar goes toward military spending and all of it is counter-productive.

But until a lot more Americans wake up this is not going to change.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread