HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » What do the leaders of th...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 02:09 PM

What do the leaders of the Democratic Party think of Obama?

It would be interesting to know.

12 replies, 863 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 12 replies Author Time Post
Reply What do the leaders of the Democratic Party think of Obama? (Original post)
Taverner Jan 2013 OP
Sekhmets Daughter Jan 2013 #1
Taverner Jan 2013 #2
Sekhmets Daughter Jan 2013 #3
Taverner Jan 2013 #5
Sekhmets Daughter Jan 2013 #6
Taverner Jan 2013 #8
Sekhmets Daughter Jan 2013 #9
KoKo Jan 2013 #4
Sekhmets Daughter Jan 2013 #7
KoKo Jan 2013 #10
Sekhmets Daughter Jan 2013 #12
KoKo Jan 2013 #11

Response to Taverner (Original post)

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 02:35 PM

1. That he's better than Romney and McCain. n/t

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to Sekhmets Daughter (Reply #1)

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 04:41 PM

2. Well yeah. We can safely say they think he's better than Atilla the Hun too...

Reply to this post

Response to Taverner (Reply #2)

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 05:00 PM

3. You asked,

I answered.

Since the bloodbath of the 2010 election, due entirely to his agenda priorities, I think Pelosi has done a marvelous job of
keeping Democratic Representatives in line, but I'm fairly certain she wouldn't mind boxing his ears once in a while. More recently, he bypassed Harry Reid and had Biden negotiate with McConnell...just what do you think Reid thinks about that? Now Obama's gone off on a new tack, gun control. Reid has an A rating from the NRA, he represents a state that loves its guns...how much cooperation can Obama expect from Reid I wonder, considering his preference for Biden?

Meanwhile there are so many judges that need to be appointed, it's criminal neglect. Republicans have destroyed so much of the social fabric of the nation with their appointments to the bench, and Obama is leaving seats empty...for 4 freaking years.

Reply to this post

Response to Sekhmets Daughter (Reply #3)

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 05:04 PM

5. All of this true...

Although the obstruction by the GOP has to be taken into account, as does the hostility of the waffeficken (gun lovers.)

My mantra has always been "Obama is the best we will get."

And I still believe that.

But he has made amazing headway in ending the war in Iraq and marriage equality.

Reply to this post

Response to Taverner (Reply #5)

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 05:33 PM

6. Waffeficken! I love it.

So we agree, he is better than Romney and McCain and as good as it gets these days.

Reply to this post

Response to Sekhmets Daughter (Reply #6)

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 06:45 PM

8. Yep - pretty much

Although consider the circumstances - we could have worse

And I am sure our President knows that

He is charting the course that benefits the most it possibly can...

Reply to this post

Response to Taverner (Reply #8)

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 06:48 PM

9. Agreed...

I just hope we can hold the senate and WH in 2016.

Reply to this post

Response to Taverner (Original post)

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 05:03 PM

4. Here's an interesting article I read today:

Maybe you would find it interesting. Supposed Noam Sheiber had "inside information" on this although this article is about framing there's a link to Sheiber's original article within this article.

----------

How Obama used Biden to undercut Reid on fiscal cliff deal (plus a framing story)
1/11/2013 10:00am by Gaius Publius 26

Thereís an important piece of original research by Noam Scheiber, who has been doing excellent work on this subject. According to Scheiber, because Obama turned to Biden to close out his deal with McConnell, he ended up undercutting his own bargaining position. There are two aspects of this story, Scheiberís facts and Scheiberís framing of them.

http://americablog.com/2013/01/how-obama-used-biden-to-undercut-reid-on-fiscal-cliff-deal.html

Reply to this post

Response to KoKo (Reply #4)

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 05:37 PM

7. I thought it was a major mistake to cut Reid out of the process....

I like Obama, but I think when it comes to dealing with the congress and negotiations he's considerably less than brilliant.

Reply to this post

Response to Sekhmets Daughter (Reply #7)

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 07:27 PM

10. The article read and then the "framing" in response

Last edited Fri Jan 18, 2013, 08:23 PM - Edit history (2)

showed some new insight into Obama's thinking, though. At leas that's what I read.

Whether I agree with Obama's "Pragmatism" as a strategy to run this country is another issue.

He did get re-elected against some huge odds, though. Was it his Charisma, Pragmatism, Magnetism as a Candidate....OR, the Total Weak, Ineffectual, Blundering, Catering to the RW and the Evangelical Christian Movement (against all American's Rights) that turned the election?

IOW'ds was the REPUG CANDIDATE/VP PICK...so Horrendous (like McCain/Palin) that the American People (voters) couldn't tolerate that CRAP ANYMORE? Or, was it Obama's attributes (listed above) that SWUNG the Election?
I don't know. I know though that DEMOCRATS in NO WAY would TOLERATE.."ROMNEY/RYAN." So, in the end...maybe it wasn't about Obama but about the ALETERNATIVE being SO Horrendous!

I guess it's up to the History Writers to parse it out...

Reply to this post

Response to KoKo (Reply #10)

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 08:20 PM

12. Here's my take on the election of 2012...

1) The Tea Party ruined any chance of the GOP nominating a candidate who would have been an acceptable alternative to a large enough number of independents to swing them, and the election, from Obama to the republican candidate.

2) Once nominated Romney waited too long to pivot to the center...thus when the 47% remarks hit the news, he was toast.

3) The brutal primary left Romney with little cash on hand, while Obama was flush. The Obama team had a field day defining Romney in the most unfavorable light possible. Ann Romney gave us a bit of insight into why this happened when she told some television host or another (I don't remember which) that "Mitt is really cheap" He spent $40 million of his own fortune seeking the nomination in 2008, obviously he decided not to do that again. It was a fatally bad decision.

4) Voter turnout was lower in 2012 than in 2008, but it seems this time the lower turnout favored the Dems as some real right wingers stayed home.

5) Obama had a built in constituency of African Americans....the GOP overestimated how many were disenchanted with his first term.

6) Obama was very wise in the timing of both the executive order to stop deportations of young Latinos/Latinas and his support of gay marriage. Neither were done so far in advance of the election so as to be easily forgotten. Women needed no further prodding once the GOP revealed its basic misogyny.

7) The Obama campaign team is brilliant. Hope they go to work for the Democratic candidate in 2016. That candidate will not have as many people willing to stand in line for up to 9 hours in order to vote. I'd be willing to bet that thousands of would be Romney voters took one look at the lines and decided to go home....particularly as the fools on FOX were guaranteeing a huge Romney victory.

Reply to this post

Response to Sekhmets Daughter (Reply #7)

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 07:43 PM

11. That's the Crux of it:

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread