HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Looming oil disaster in t...

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 08:25 AM

Looming oil disaster in the heartland.

Face it, the Keystone XL pipeline is going to go through. Despite the evidence that oil from tar sands is a horrible polluting agent, despite the fact that extracting such oil is going to ruin the surrounding countryside, despite the fact that any such pipeline is going to break and leak(after all, you're basically running liquid sandpaper through the pipe), it looks like Keystone XL is going to go through anyway.

This isn't surprising, a lot of folks predicted that the Obama administration was simply putting off the decision until after the election, when Obama would be free from the restraints of having to worry about votes. Though his nomination for SoS, John Kerry, appears to be an environmentalist's dream, upon closer look, we see that on this issue, Kerry is fatally flawed.

Meanwhile, though there are ongoing protests, these have been minimized, kept out of the country consciousness. It has been apparent for a long while however, that Keystone was going to go through. After all, why green light the southern half of the pipeline if you're not going to hook it up to the northern half?

Sure, sure, the requisite reports have been made, and minor corrections in the course of the pipeline have been made, but the sad fact is, the pipeline is still going to be a disaster waiting to happen in the heartland. With oil from tar sands, it is not a matter of if there is going to be a pipeline rupture, but rather a matter of when. And when that happens, we're all going to be screwed. You see, while it will be those of us in flyover country whose water will be affected, the rest of the country will suffer as well. If the aquifers are contaminated with oil, what are farmers going to use to irrigate their crops, your food. Ready for a few extra hydrocarbons with your bread?

Worse are the long term consequences of tar sand oil. Before we started major extraction, about seven years ago, the talk was all about green energy alternatives, weaning our country off of oil. Now, with this sudden boom of tar sand oil, the talk has switched to simply being energy independent. Though Palin's famous statement about "drill baby, drill," isn't being bandied about in public anymore, that is certainly the direction that American energy policy is headed.

Which means that we aren't just risking our water resources, but we're also looking to increase air pollution in this country as well, not to mention a steady increase in greenhouse gasses as well. Green energy is, once again, on the far back burner, and for the foreseeable future we are going to continue to embrace petroleum, to the detriment of not just ourselves, but future generations as well.

Given the fact that global warming has reared its ugly head in a major way the past couple of years, one would think that any sane Democratic politician would be pushing hard for green energy, and would reject policy that would increase our dependence upon petroleum. Yet once again, Big Oil has thrown about major wads of cash, and has apparently been able to purchase policy favorable to their own interests, despite the fact that such policy is going to be a disaster for the rest of us. Funny, how this administration is embracing a strategy of "drill baby, drill", one that is little different from the policy that Romney wanted to embrace.

So it appears, sadly, that nothing substantial is going to change with regards to our energy policy. We're going to continue to allow oil to rule our future, no matter the costs to our environment and our society. Apparently, the Obama administration can only talk a good game about switching to green energy. When push comes to shove however, they once again cave to the monied interests that are the real rulers in this land.

8 replies, 852 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 8 replies Author Time Post
Reply Looming oil disaster in the heartland. (Original post)
MadHound Jan 2013 OP
forestpath Jan 2013 #1
newfie11 Jan 2013 #2
MuseRider Jan 2013 #3
MadHound Jan 2013 #4
MuseRider Jan 2013 #5
MadHound Jan 2013 #6
MuseRider Jan 2013 #7
Hell Hath No Fury Jan 2013 #8

Response to MadHound (Original post)

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 08:30 AM

1. K&R The Obama administration always protects the rich - even if it kills us.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 08:58 AM

2. Incredibly stupid

I own a farm in Nebraska and know how important the Ogalala is. It is already shrinking do to massive pumping. Once the oil spills start it will take while to reach the Ogalala I assume. When it does, there will be a big disaster from Texas to Nebraska. Think food is high now! It will also destroy all our drinking water.

What the hell is wrong with people. Why are we allowing the corrupt politicians to destroy us?

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 09:15 AM

3. I have grown so used to

this kind of shit from this administration and all the others before it. We have been warned about all of this since the 50's yet here we are in "the greatest country on earth" and we have done only the bare minimum about this and most of that has been done by each and every one of us individually. Even that is slowing down because of the attitudes that are given all the press and lack of leadership from the top. We just got curbside recycling and the whining and crying and gnashing of teeth because of the minimal increase in our monthly bills has been hysterical.

Somewhere I lot all my ability to get mad about this. The inevitability of this kind of thing is just so demoralizing. This is usually short term for me but the longer this kind of thing goes on the harder it is to recover from it.

Reply to this post

Response to MuseRider (Reply #3)

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 10:43 AM

4. I hear you,

I find that it becomes more and more difficult to give a damn, because even when Dems have the run of government, in many instances they act as selfishly and shortsightedly as 'Pugs.

Reply to this post

Response to MadHound (Reply #4)

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 11:37 AM

5. Did you see the report

last week I think, about the dust storm that closed down parts of the highway in Central-Western Kansas and Oklahoma? It was a goodie. I don't think many heard about it. I never saw a news story, there may have been one I was pretty busy last week. Still, had it made news I think it would have been a topic for discussion here.

I find it hard to work myself up about much these days. I just putter on my farm and try to be what I believe is a good steward, for whatever that is worth to anyone other than myself. Trying to find out if we own the mineral rights under the ground here. There is shale, not a huge amount I don't think, but when has that ever stopped them? The rest of my state is getting used up with fracking so....hmmm I wonder what will happen to this lovely pipeline with all the fracking being done around it? Suppose it might spring a leak?

Reply to this post

Response to MuseRider (Reply #5)

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 11:48 AM

6. Yeah, I read about that dust storm,

Rather jolting to me, what after reading about the Dust Bowl days and seeing the Burns documentary. Here we go again.

Make certain you own the mineral rights under your land, otherwise you could be royally screwed and your property destroyed when they move in to do their fracking. Luckily, I live in a part of Missouri that has little under it except clay and limestone, so I own the rights to what is on top of and below the soil.

Reply to this post

Response to MadHound (Reply #6)

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 12:02 PM

7. This part of Kansas

has not been fracked much, I don't think there is very much shale under us but that really does not stop the exploration and there is a lot of that in this state. My state looks like a bloody mess when you look at the maps for fracking operations. We are planning on trying to go find out the info next week.

Yeah, the timing was interesting. The sky is tinted brown most days now, not too much yet. With the normal Kansas winds I suspect if this spring is dry we are looking at a mess by the end of the summer. I am trying to figure out what on earth to do with my horses and goats. Poor things, I have to try to provide them with something clean to breathe and getting hay is going to be really hard but then grassland preservation has not been important for 100 years or so. Too bad, it would have saved us having to go through this again.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 12:20 PM

8. The Administration just sold off a huge tract -

of federal lands here in Central California for gas development. California, the place that gets huge earthquakes -- fracking, the thing that can generate earthquakes -- what could POSSIBLY go wrong???

I am so furious and disappointed with the direction our energy policy is going -- at this point I have zero faith in this Administration or the Democratic Party to push for the kind of chanages that might save our planet.

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread