HomeLatest ThreadsGreatest ThreadsForums & GroupsMy SubscriptionsMy Posts
DU Home » Latest Threads » Forums & Groups » Main » General Discussion (Forum) » Retailers struggle to fac...
Introducing Discussionist: A new forum by the creators of DU

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 04:53 AM

Retailers struggle to face the digital revolution

NEW YORK • Change — or die.
But how exactly? Responding to the digital revolution was the vexing problem pondered by retail executives and industry experts alike this week at the National Retail Federation convention.

While generally agreeing that they all need to adapt, retailers are still figuring out a path to success in this new world. The directions range from matching prices to integrating technology among sales clerks, though some wonder if this will be enough.

It’s never been a more challenging time to be a traditional bricks-and-mortar retailer amid a “seismic change in consumer behavior,” said Howard Schultz, CEO of Starbucks. Any business that sticks with the status quo “is literally facing a collision course with time.”

The revolution, first led by the desktop computer, has intensified as smartphone-packing consumers, always connected to the Web, make even greater demands on retailers. These shoppers not only want apps and mobile payments, but they also seek heightened in-store experiences, competitive prices, and speedy delivery to keep up with the online marketplace.

Much more at

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/retailers-struggle-to-face-the-digital-revolution/article_268d9ad4-77e0-599c-992c-97f19fd3e962.html

9 replies, 754 views

Reply to this thread

Back to top Alert abuse

Always highlight: 10 newest replies | Replies posted after I mark a forum
Replies to this discussion thread
Arrow 9 replies Author Time Post
Reply Retailers struggle to face the digital revolution (Original post)
Sherman A1 Jan 2013 OP
stultusporcos Jan 2013 #1
SoCalDem Jan 2013 #3
ananda Jan 2013 #5
Sherman A1 Jan 2013 #6
stultusporcos Jan 2013 #9
Fumesucker Jan 2013 #8
redgreenandblue Jan 2013 #2
bemildred Jan 2013 #4
marions ghost Jan 2013 #7

Response to Sherman A1 (Original post)

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 05:39 AM

1. The #1 reason why I started shopping on line

is the morons that are hired by the retailers to answer questions and sell you the product.

If I walk into a store and know more about the product they are selling then the person who is supposed to be the expert, I walk out the door.

If I want to see a product before I buy I now go to a Pub run store see and play with what I want and then buy it on line.

Reply to this post

Back to top Alert abuse Link here Permalink

Response to stultusporcos (Reply #1)

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 05:58 AM

3. Store managers/owners want the cheapest workers they can find

so they get what they are paying for... fewer customers..

Years ago, my husband and I were shopping for a washer & dryer..We decided to see what Best Buy had..

It had NO salesperson in "that department" even though FOUR clerks we chased down each assured us that they would send someone to help us..

We had cash, and were ready to buy that day..

No one ever showed up so I ordered the pair online from AJ Madison...shipped from BROOKLYN NY...got free shipping..delivered to my front porch 4 days later

Reply to this post

Response to SoCalDem (Reply #3)

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 08:49 AM

5. I think Best Buy is going down the drain.

That company is a mess.

More often than not, the store doesn't even stock the item I need,
and the online service doesn't even send an email confirmation of
an order.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 03:53 PM

6. Just bought a new washer last Spring

Went to the local appliance store and got fantastic help, good service, free delivery and what we believe to be an excellent product. I try to avoid big box stores such as Best Buy whenever possible. The local True Value hardware store is far superior to both Lowe's & Home Depot.

Reply to this post

Response to Sherman A1 (Reply #6)

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 04:44 PM

9. Same with me went to the local Appliance Store for a dishwaher better prices and selection

Last edited Fri Jan 18, 2013, 06:23 PM - Edit history (1)

then the box stores even with install and delivery, family owned for over 40 year, they now have my busines and that of 2 friends who bougth stuff after I told them to go check them out.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 04:06 PM

8. It goes even deeper than that

Too good an employee is a threat to the manager's own job these days.

It doesn't pay to keep someone around under you who is smarter than you are and could be better at your job than you are.

That's just asking to get replaced by your former underling for a little less money.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 05:46 AM

2. Translation: Retailers struggle to face an efficient market.

Retailers traditionally have relied on uninformed customers making irrational choices. Now thanks to online price-comparison they can no longer rely on this.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 08:46 AM

4. Good luck, retailers, you're going to need it.

Why anybody would want to go search for something in a warehouse when they can find it cheaper and faster on line and have it delivered I cannot see.

Reply to this post

Fri Jan 18, 2013, 03:59 PM

7. They are going to have to change the in-store experience

--sometimes I like to actually SEE what I'm buying--but stores need to realize that some profit is going to have to be used to enhance the whole experience.

In most big box stores you feel like a rat running a maze...

Reply to this post

Reply to this thread